+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian Passport in person timeline

Saba718

Mar 24, 2023
After submitting my application, I was told that the passport will be mailed to me. I can't remember what would happen if the delivery came but I were not home. I remember they briefly mentioned it, but I can't remember what exact consequence is. Do I need to pick it up at a post office, or do I need to call them or something? Can someone explain?
They sent mine with certified Xpresspost. I wasn't home so they left a notice and i had to show ID and sign to receive it at the post office. It is kept at the post office for 15 days then sent back to sender.

Reactions: ycheng

summerxx

Jun 12, 2016
Just submitted my application at 74 Victoria Street, Toronto. Arrived around 7:40 with about 15 people ahead of me including renewals and pick ups. We were given tickets and waited inside in the overflow area. Moved to the 3rd floor around 8:35am (we were called up in batches of 5). Went to pre-screening and was given a number. Moved to the processing agent and was advised they are mailing out applications on the 22nd; opted to pay the 20 dollar fee to pick up as I have a trip scheduled at the end of the month. Finished at 8:54am. Less than 30 mins total time from opening.
so pick ups need to line up too? just to confirm
I saw some skipped the line and assumed they were picking up only

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
so pick ups need to line up too? just to confirm
I saw some skipped the line and assumed they were picking up only
I think this is the same at all offices but not certain: those picking up go direct to a separate line, which is much shorter and moves faster (basically the time for them to find your passport, check a few things and for the person picking up to sign). Obviously will vary but from what I saw, 15-30 minutes total.

summerxx

Jun 12, 2016
I think this is the same at all offices but not certain: those picking up go direct to a separate line, which is much shorter and moves faster (basically the time for them to find your passport, check a few things and for the person picking up to sign). Obviously will vary but from what I saw, 15-30 minutes total.
Gotcha. Thanks for the information.

hallelujahbaby

Nov 14, 2022
Toronto
This is kinda sad, but I don't have anyone in Ontario who can be my guarantor and sign the back of my photo. So I have to do the in lieu form - I got the form from the office, but they're asking for two more references (4 in total) on that form which I don't have :(. Has anyone had any experience with this? Can I just submit it with two references and a notary as a guarantor?

Last edited:

island755

Dec 24, 2014
Toronto ON
This is kinda sad, but I don't have anyone in Ontario who can be my guarantor and sign the back of my photo. So I have to do the in lieu form - I got the form from the office, but they're asking for two more references (4 in total) on that form which I don't have :(. Has anyone had any experience with this? Can I just submit it with two references and a notary as a guarantor?
OMG! I am also in the same boat. I just got myself scheduled for the oath and was thinking what to do once I have my certificate.. Please le me know as you proceed.

Last edited:

RickyT

Star Member
Sep 13, 2015
References can be outside of the country, as long as you have known them for more than 2 years.

motocrosstar

Star Member
Nov 1, 2020
Got my passport in the mail today. It got sent yesterday on Mar 29 so a day after the reported mail date.

I saw that it was issued on May 23 when they called my guarantor. They asked my guarantor about where I lived, where I'm from, my height, weight, build, where I work, and my birthday.

FYI - the online passport status checker still shows under process. I had to call them this morning to get the tracking number so I think it's best to rely on phone to get information.
The guarantor is supposed to have read and checked the passport application. So I guess asking these questions to them is Passport Canada’s way to ensure that. Good to know. Thanks!

eparker42

Star Member
Apr 3, 2018
Vancouver
Category........
Other
I will be going for a walk-in sometime this week.(Vancouver Lower Mainland)
Does it matter if I go to Sinclair Center, Richmond or Surrey Center, or its all the same it terms of waiting times, and how they go with the process of issuing tokens and all that ? Anyone has any suggestions/ thoughts?
Thank you

eparker42

Star Member
Apr 3, 2018
Vancouver
Category........
Other
FWIW, I ended up going to Richmond Center. I reached at 8 am, the walk-in already had 40 people ahead of me, but the process was smooth and steady, document verification on the 2nd floor and then pre-screen & application submission on the 3rd floor, was out by 10:15 am.

Reactions: liverpoolforever8

motocrosstar

Star Member
Nov 1, 2020
I applied for my passport today in-person. I walked into the Passport Office in Downtown Toronto. Reached there by 8:30 am, waited for less than 30 mins downstairs before being sent upstairs. Got my documents verified and got another number and waited for another 35-40 mins. I was out by 10:15 am. Opted for pickup since I live close by. Asked to pick up passport on 05/01. Hoping to do so assuming everything goes smoothly (no strike / no issues with contacting guarantor/references) .

sahibo

Star Member
Jun 7, 2022
Seems like there will be a strike starting Wednesday. Does that mean that the passport office is going to be closed? I have an appointment on Friday…

davidfore

Star Member
Nov 9, 2018
One of the guys who work there said- even if they go on strike, they will still work but there will be less employees. It's not gonna be completely shut down

Reactions: sahibo