+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian Passport in person timeline

rush171

Star Member
Jan 31, 2023
If we apply for passport in person, do we need to bring child to the passport office as well? or is it sufficient if both parents go to the passport office? Thank you!
I noticed today that for younger children, the children didn't have to be present. Parents with birth certificate were good. There were at least two people with kids under 13, who didn't have the kid with them.

Reactions: alexross

rush171

Star Member
Jan 31, 2023
Applied in person today(Mar 17th) . Surrey (Central City)Passport Office.
Went in at 11 am. Took 2.5 hrs. 2 hrs 20mins wait, 10mins actual time for the application processing. They did say that it was busier than usual today. Applied express (with travel proof), pick up date March 23rd.

Overall the process was smooth. Got first number assigned, waited for the number to be called for about an hour. Then went on second wait line for document verification, took about 15mins. Waited another hour to be called on the counter for actual application processing. Once at the window, it was pretty quick.
Note: Express and urgent applications need to be picked up in person (by the applicant). The stamp for personal pick up was placed on the area where you can designate 3rd party pickup. I didn't try to persuade them otherwise for pick up by someone else, since it was not a big deal for me.

Last edited:

twztedelegance

Jul 14, 2015
New Brunswick
Is Indian passport usable as ID proof when going to apply for Canadian passport? Along with provincial medical card? Don’t want to use drivers license if they take it for few days before giving back

rush171

Star Member
Jan 31, 2023
Is Indian passport usable as ID proof when going to apply for Canadian passport? Along with provincial medical card? Don’t want to use drivers license if they take it for few days before giving back
If you are applying in person, they will return all the documents to you at the window. That said, foreign passport is an acceptable proof of ID.

Reactions: twztedelegance

ron_ad123

Star Member
Dec 16, 2014
Hello Group members, I just went and completed a walkin appointment with the Brampton Passport office today. Went in at around 2:30 and the posted wait time was 1 hour 15 mins at 2PM (office website). I was called up in an hour, so I would say the wait times are accurate. Try to have all your documents ready and it will be a smooth process. Please note that if you make a mistake on the form, do not use whitener to correct. Just cross it out and correct it. They advised no whitener/corrector liquid/tape to be applied to the form. Each form for a new passport take about 10-14 mins on average to process (scanning of your original docs included) so you can calculate your time accordingly. Passport processing timeline as stated by the agent is 2 weeks (Regular mail processing, not urgent)

Last edited:

Luce13

Oct 30, 2018
Just submitted my application at 74 Victoria Street, Toronto. Arrived around 7:40 with about 15 people ahead of me including renewals and pick ups. We were given tickets and waited inside in the overflow area. Moved to the 3rd floor around 8:35am (we were called up in batches of 5). Went to pre-screening and was given a number. Moved to the processing agent and was advised they are mailing out applications on the 22nd; opted to pay the 20 dollar fee to pick up as I have a trip scheduled at the end of the month. Finished at 8:54am. Less than 30 mins total time from opening.
Picked up passport today. Pretty quick process. Arrived around 8:40 am and was done in less than 15 minutes with about 6 people ahead of me. Guarantors or references weren’t called to the best of my knowledge.

Reactions: anirm92

americanidiot

Sep 18, 2021
Applied for a passport in person at Sinclair Centre in DT Vancouver. I got there at 10 am and was sent to an office where they check all documents, see if your guarantor has done everything, everything is signed etc. This process took about 20 mins

After that, they ask you to go to another office right next to it where they give you a ticket with a number on it. There I waited for 90 mins for my number to show up. Once the number showed up, I went to the counter, submitted my docs where they verified a few things. If you have everything in order and have all the documents in place then you won't spend more than 5 mins at the counter. I didn't ask for urgent or express. They did offer me pickup but my mail date is March 28 which is sufficient enough for me so I didn't opt for it.

Total time it took from my arrival there to being seen is approx 2 hours. You could go earlier and be among the first in line but the chaos of last summer is no longer present and everything seemed to go smoothly so showing up at 6 am is no longer necessary.

I'll post an update once I receive my passport. Based on what I see, I should get it before Mar 28 so keeping my fingers crossed.
Update: They called my guarantor today. Asked about where I lived, where I'm from, my height, weight, build, where I work, and my birthday