Med's Request
May 2013
Passport Req..
July 2013
VISA ISSUED...
August 2013
LANDED..........
Sept 2013
I have an appointment for Mississauga Service Canada to submit passport applications for me & my kids. Does anyone know if my spouse can go instead of me on that appointment & submit applications on our behalf?
for kids yeah no problem
For you its best to do yourself if u can. She may be able to submit yours, give her a photocopy of your IDs such as health card and driving license etc

or stay close to office if u can in case they want to see/ask you

237mota

Star Member
Jan 12, 2022
I have an appointment for Mississauga Service Canada to submit passport applications for me & my kids. Does anyone know if my spouse can go instead of me on that appointment & submit applications on our behalf?
@softwaretesting, yes, your spouse can submit your application and the kids application as well. Just make sure that the address on her driver's license is the same as yours. My wife applied for myself and my daughter last week and that was the main thing they checked.
Regards

Reactions: softwaretesting

Vish7

Star Member
Jun 6, 2017
Hello.
My Wife's PR card and all Candian proofs have middle name and last name before marriage.
While applying for our passports, I would like to use her middle name and last name after marriage?
What would be the best process to do so?

fulton1712

Star Member
Jun 27, 2022
Alberta
Category........
Other
Visa Office......
Edmonton
LANDED..........
08-10-2019
Hello.
My Wife's PR card and all Candian proofs have middle name and last name before marriage.
While applying for our passports, I would like to use her middle name and last name after marriage?
What would be the best process to do so?
Hi:

I had the same issue, but all I did was take in my marriage certificate as well as driver's license and it was ok they added both names

softwaretesting

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2013
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Can someone please also confirm if they will allow my spouse to enter office since appointment is in my name?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I had the same issue, but all I did was take in my marriage certificate as well as driver's license and it was ok they added both names
In this context, marriage certificate is usually considered a 'legal change of name' document.

And as far as I'm aware, they usually accept reasonable explanations about what the new 'married name' should be - i.e. if culturally normal to change middle and last, ok, if one takes a version of spouse's last name (i.e. 'feminized' endings like -a or -ova), ok. It's also routine nowadays to accept double-barrelled names (combinations of spouses' last names).

I can't guarantee how flexible they will be though and when they might want additional docuemntation. I presume they'd usually expect to see names that show some correspondence to the spouse's name on the marriage certificate.

Reactions: fulton1712

Wandering Mind

Champion Member
Mar 20, 2017
I had a question about booking an appointment for in-person passport application - can a family of 3 (parents and minor kid) book a single appointment or do we have to book 3 separate ones?

Thanks!

softwaretesting

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2013
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I had a question about booking an appointment for in-person passport application - can a family of 3 (parents and minor kid) book a single appointment or do we have to book 3 separate ones?

Thanks!
When we book appointment there is option to select number of applicants.

Reactions: Wandering Mind

Vish7

Star Member
Jun 6, 2017
Hi:

I only have the marriage certificate.
I have a drivers license, but my wife does not have it.

Would marriage certificate be enough? Or any proof from India [like Aadhar card, PAN card, etc.?]

Reactions: fulton1712

safety008

Sep 1, 2015
Hi experts,

My family applied passport in-person at a Service Canada (Gerrard Square, 1000 Gerrard St E, Toronto, ON M4M 3G6) on 25th August 2022, a regular process (no travel date), but till today (22nd Nov 2022) still have not received anything.

We did request to check the status online in mid-September and only received the response today saying "We have received your passport application that was forwarded to us by a Service Canada Centre. Your file is in examination". Does anyone know what it really means?

Allow me to ask the second question, what status could the passport application show? For example, for Canadian PR application, it has the phase of AOR, BCIP, MD, etc.

Thanks in advance

fulton1712

Star Member
Jun 27, 2022
Alberta
Category........
Other
Visa Office......
Edmonton
LANDED..........
08-10-2019
I only have the marriage certificate.
I have a drivers license, but my wife does not have it.

Would marriage certificate be enough? Or any proof from India [like Aadhar card, PAN card, etc.?]
It has to be the marriage certificate and any provincial picture ID or Driver's License (get your wife to apply for a provincial ID with the marriage name on it as well)

trumprefugee

Champion Member
Jun 6, 2017
Ottawa, ON
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
06-01-2018
Nomination.....
19-12-2017
AOR Received.
07-01-2018
IELTS Request
24-06-2017
Med's Done....
05-01-2018
Passport Req..
09-03-2018
VISA ISSUED...
02-04-2018
LANDED..........
28-05-2018
Hi experts,

My family applied passport in-person at a Service Canada (Gerrard Square, 1000 Gerrard St E, Toronto, ON M4M 3G6) on 25th August 2022, a regular process (no travel date), but till today (22nd Nov 2022) still have not received anything.

We did request to check the status online in mid-September and only received the response today saying "We have received your passport application that was forwarded to us by a Service Canada Centre. Your file is in examination". Does anyone know what it really means?
It means that it is in progress. That was my status when I called earlier this month.

Allow me to ask the second question, what status could the passport application show? For example, for Canadian PR application, it has the phase of AOR, BCIP, MD, etc.
I'm not sure, but I know mine was in "examination" at the beginning of this month and then "approved" when I called last week. I recommend that you call instead of submitting an online status check. Then you can ask the agent any questions as well. I submitted an online status check at the end of October but still have not heard back, and others have reported receiving their online statuses months later.

Reactions: safety008

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
It has to be the marriage certificate and any provincial picture ID or Driver's License (get your wife to apply for a provincial ID with the marriage name on it as well)
While I agree with the point that photo ID will be required, my reading is that the photo ID does not have to be updated to reflect new name in order to apply for passport. The point of the photo ID is to confirm identity, not the name, and the photo ID plus other docs and the legal name change doc (marriage certificate) is enough to establish (new) name.

Now that said: you can run into people in any bureaucracy who won't agree with this, and I strongly doubt the specifics of this point are outlined in their internal regs (even if obvious). And there's no feasible way to challenge this point in a timely manner (you could go to court and waste time and money). You might be able to complain to a supervisor, but no way to know in advance how that will go.

So: it definitely is better if the applicant can eg replace a photo ID with the new name before applying for passport. In Ontario they give you a paper version when you do it, on the spot, and that combined with the photo ID DL card is considered 'new and amended' until you get the new card (and I don't think the passport office people could really argue with that). So I'd recommend that anyone do exactly as you suggested, even if not strictly required, if feasible. (I think the service ontario outlets are mostly past the horrific lines and all that of the pandemic but don't know about other jurisdictions and I'm not certain about that).

But in principle you really shouldn't need to replace everything before you apply for the passport.