+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian Passport in person timeline

MW2015

Apr 14, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi everyone! I am travelling May 2nd. I filled out the web form and submitted an appointment request on Monday (March 28), but no call as of yet. I have a couple of questions:
-is walk-in better than appointment?
- what is the difference between going to Service Canada and Passport Office of Service Canada?
- I am in Montreal. Anyone has experience with passports lately and/or recommend an office for walk-in?

Thank you!
I was at Service Canada yesterday and they came outsided before opening and said anyone with travel before May 5th needed and appontment at Service Canada - passport office. The could not help them and would not guarantee the passport in time.

alex the king

Jun 24, 2017
Canada
Category........
QSW
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
07-07-2016
AOR Received.
14-11-2016
Med's Request
22-12-2016
Med's Done....
11-01-2017
Passport Req..
27-10-2017
VISA ISSUED...
07-11-2017
LANDED..........
24-12-2017
Hi everyone! I am travelling May 2nd. I filled out the web form and submitted an appointment request on Monday (March 28), but no call as of yet. I have a couple of questions:
-is walk-in better than appointment?
- what is the difference between going to Service Canada and Passport Office of Service Canada?
- I am in Montreal. Anyone has experience with passports lately and/or recommend an office for walk-in?

Thank you!
Service Canada & Passport office both will accept application that requires express process. Service Canada as you said in Montreal, i check before i place, none of the Service canada have the Urgent pick up except the passport office that is at the Guy-Favreau Complex, 200 Boulevard René-Lévesque O #103, Montréal, QC H2Z 1X4 .

Service Canada unless you have the travel within the given timelines 28 days with travel proof, they may give you early date of dispatch of the passport.
Passport office you can provide travel proof if your travel within 28 days and request express or urgent pick up to get it early.(there is an additional fee for such services).

Yes You can do Walk in at Service Canada & Guy-Favreau Complex (Both places prepare to wait< they accept without appointment , but Passport office will accept you if you have a travel plan within their guidlines {stipulated time period}, my friend went and they send back and he submitted where i submitted i.e. Service Canada. With Travel plan Guy-Favreau Complex they are ready to accept, but he doesn't have a plan, he went becuase it was close to his office by 2 blocks, but returned and submitted at Service Canada near home in Brossard).

you can try if you don't get the call or appointment by the time , when you are within the given travel time walk in to the Passport office. Prepare for worse but i see with travel plan no one was sent back.

It may not be Same at every center and they keep changing the rules. You can give a try without appointment (With appointment is quick and Guaranteed, without appointment, you maybe sent back by both centers Passport office & Servce Canada).Ours not urgent so i walk in to Service Canada and submitted 3 applications. Got a date of dispatch Aprl 20th. Wish you good luck.

Last edited:

Invincible84

Champion Member
Jun 20, 2016
Ontario
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
06-02-2020
AOR Received.
04-03-2020
Just did it today at the cambride service canada office in person with walk in. Took 30 minutes for the processing of fees and application. The lady even returned my birth certificate as she can authorize the copy. Got the file number too. Lets see now how much time it takes for the passport to come in mail.

Pretty smooth experience.

Reactions: Kornet and sk000

Amanbaanga

Jul 21, 2017
Here’s my experience for urgent processing.
Went to Mississauga office around 10.30 AM and there were 60-70 people waiting in line. Told them I have urgent processing and the security guard told me to join the line. Went home and came back the next day an hour before they open. 80-90 people were already there. Drove to Niagara. Reached at 9.30. In and out within 20 minutes and got the passport at 3 PM same day(about 5 hours)
P.S you need to show them your ticket.

Reactions: Kornet

CaBeaver

Champion Member
Dec 15, 2018
Here’s my experience for urgent processing.
Went to Mississauga office around 10.30 AM and there were 60-70 people waiting in line. Told them I have urgent processing and the security guard told me to join the line. Went home and came back the next day an hour before they open. 80-90 people were already there. Drove to Niagara. Reached at 9.30. In and out within 20 minutes and got the passport at 3 PM same day(about 5 hours)
P.S you need to show them your ticket.
Your ticket is the next business day?

Invincible84

Champion Member
Jun 20, 2016
Ontario
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
06-02-2020
AOR Received.
04-03-2020
For service canada locations you dont need appointment. Just walkin and submit your application! I just did that today. Quick and smooth. :)

Reactions: QueenPeaches

Onascale

Sep 2, 2021
Passport picked up today, Calgary. Thank you to everyone in this group for all the information, really helped in making decisions.

Reactions: DAN14

Mexontario

Sep 9, 2020
Windsor, ON
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
02-05-2014
Doc's Request.
23-06-2014
AOR Received.
04-06-2014
File Transfer...
23-06-2014
Med's Request
23-06-2014
Med's Done....
07-08-2014
Passport Req..
26-09-2014
VISA ISSUED...
18-11-2014
LANDED..........
04-04-2015
Finally, we have collected our passports yesterday from Windsor...
I tried to obtain oath certificates immediately after oath. However, they were delayed and so I left to the US (where I was working) after oath. Friend of mine collected certificates and FedEx'd me. So I decided to travel and apply for passport in Windsor. Although ambitious, I bought a round trip ticket on the same day from Detroit.

Called Passport Canada on Monday to see if I can obtain an urgent appointment. They told that they are not doing appointments for urgent requests, instead I should walk right in within 48 hours of travel. I took the early morning flight and that is supposed to land in Detroit by 930AM (Thanks to the loss in 1hr time diff.). That flight was delayed by an hr and rental car delayed another 30 min. At this point, I was almost certain I have to spend the night in Windsor. Filled ArriveCan details using Birth certificate as entry document (There is no option for citizenship certificate). Finally showed up at the windsor tunnel border at around 1130 AM. CBSA officer was very understandable and looked up my certificate along with DL. Dont try to show up with just certificate as it does not have your photo and signature. Left the border and drove straight to my guarantor and obtained signatures where needed.

Went to the passport canada office in downtown at around noonish. Security guard asked me if I have an appointment. I said no and showed the boarding pass for return flight ticket. He was first surprised that the travel is the same day and let me in after a few covid questions. Went to the reception and showed proof of travel along with both our applications. She said, its very tight but they would try to accommodate. She arranged the application and documents in order and gave a token to be seated. There is only 1 person ahead of us. Guard told that this is slowest its been in the past 2-3 months. Probably we were very lucky.
After about 10 min, our token number was called and we handed our application and proof of travel to the passport officer at the counter. She said we will shoot for today but as always its not a 100% guaranteed. Just make sure all your references and guarantor can answer our calls. I paid the fee and left the counter at about 1PM with 330 PM pickup time. I informed all my references and guarantor about the same. Guarantor received the call at around 2. shortly after, references received the call and there were a few discrepancies with addresses from reference accounts and so Passport office called me again to make sure I didnt miss any previous addresses.

Went in at 330 PM, This time there are quite a few ppl (around 15-20 waiting). Showed up at the reception with pickup receipts and there they are...waiting for our signatures to become alive. Passport have to signed in front of them to be valid. With the new passport, I was able to catch my return flight in Detroit. We completed our memorable Canadian journey with an adventurous closing!

Last edited:

Psych

Star Member
Dec 15, 2020
I walked in at Service Canada today, as I do not have any travel within 25 days, waited in line for 1h before submitting my application.
Passport will be delivered in 5 weeks.

Invincible84

Champion Member
Jun 20, 2016
Ontario
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
06-02-2020
AOR Received.
04-03-2020
I walked in at Service Canada today, as I do not have any travel within 25 days, waited in line for 1h before submitting my application.
Passport will be delivered in 5 weeks.

What is your mail our date? Also the guys who submitted in last few weeks can you please tell about your timelines? Have you received your passports already?

maniacworld

Apr 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
anyone went to a Mississauga/GTA location? any suggestions for walk ins and where to go . any personal experience please?

thanks a lot