+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian Passport in person timeline

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
But does it matter which office I apply to (I want to skip Toronto, it sounds like hell)? Can you still pay for express procedure if you have proof of travel and less than 45 days to the travel date?

Another question: Is there a way to enter Canada on the way back without a passport? Apply abroad for one, or get one of those temporary travel documents or something like that?
-Any passport office you like. I didn't find North York that bad, lined up at 6.30 and was out by about 9.30.
-Why would you, they really only take two weeks, after all. Pay for the pick-up if you wish to be sure, only $20.
-There's no easy way to return to Canada by air without a passport. You could walk across and on strength of citzienship certificate etc get admitted - if you can get into USA of course.
-You can apply abroad for a passport - 8+ weeks last I heard - at Embassy consular section.
-There are temporary passports and emergency passports, extra cost, limited use and validity, and you'd still need to get a proper passport anyway later. I believe they'd make you show you need it on emergency basis. (For real hair-on-fire emergencies I think they have another tool or two, but not something you can or should plan on)

Reactions: jaynee02

Lifehack

Dec 19, 2016
Category........
FSW
Getting worried now. Flight is on 26th June. I asked for a transfer last week to Toronto Location.
Still haven't got the call, after calling the passport office general number they said the application is in process of transfer and wait for their call.
How long should I wait for the call Or should I just go to the office tomorrow and stand in the line? What time do they usually call from Toronto Office? I asked them only proof of travel is okay.
If they can see my application and know that it is in a system , should I take another application? I don't have guarantor's signature in another form. Only the pictures I have.
Sorry just so stressed out.

sharp1

May 3, 2021
Yes it was checked in the lineup outside and then at the application booth.
They do accept more than tickets, but I have no comment on your specific case.
I'll definitely book tickets. Did they check how soon you're travelling? I'm confused, the website says 3 to 45 days, but a lot of people on this thread have mentioned max 25 days.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I'm confused, the website says 3 to 45 days, but a lot of people on this thread have mentioned max 25 days.
I was looking at that too as I just did this a few weeks ago, and it was definitely 25 days then - I think they must have changed those requirements recently.

rufus1

Jun 22, 2022
Getting worried now. Flight is on 26th June. I asked for a transfer last week to Toronto Location.
Still haven't got the call, after calling the passport office general number they said the application is in process of transfer and wait for their call.
How long should I wait for the call Or should I just go to the office tomorrow and stand in the line? What time do they usually call from Toronto Office? I asked them only proof of travel is okay.
If they can see my application and know that it is in a system , should I take another application? I don't have guarantor's signature in another form. Only the pictures I have.
Sorry just so stressed out.
I asked a transfer yesterday and they said they will call me the day before for the pick up. Not earlier than the day before my travel!

• Haha
Reactions: chamchikang

chamchikang

Dec 25, 2017
I grabbed a 7/21 Passport Office appointment... I got two kids to take care of, so going there at 6 am and waiting is not an option for me :(
Can't believe I have to wait for a month just to submit a document :eek:

evdm

Jun 16, 2017
Another question: Is there a way to enter Canada on the way back without a passport? Apply abroad for one, or get one of those temporary travel documents or something like that?

Thanks!
If you are a dual citizen from a visa-exempt country you may be able to use that passport to board a flight into Canada with special authorization: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/visit-canada/dual-canadian-citizens-visit-canada.html
You can apply for a special authorization if you:

• have not been issued a Canadian passport that is valid on the day of your travel
  • have a flight to Canada that leaves in less than 10 days
  • have a valid passport from a visa-exempt country
  • are not a Canadian-American dual citizen
And one of the following:

• have previously received a certificate of Canadian citizenship, or
  • held a Canadian passport in the past, or
  • were granted Canadian citizenship after having been a permanent resident of Canada.
Your information will be verified in our electronic systems to confirm that you are a Canadian citizen. This authorization will be valid for only 4 days from the date of travel you select on the form. If you don’t use it within this time, you will need to apply for a new authorization.

Reactions: armoured

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
If you are a dual citizen from a visa-exempt country you may be able to use that passport to board a flight into Canada with special authorization: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/visit-canada/dual-canadian-citizens-visit-canada.html
Thank you! I remember vaguely reading about that process sometime ago, but honestly had never looked into it in detail and mostly forgot about it. Very helpful post.

[A side note that I know of a process called a 'facilitation visa' - a visa they supposedly can give to Canadian citizens in their other passport. But I've never actually come across anyone who has received one and as far as I can tell only used in true emergencies.]

sharp1

May 3, 2021
I grabbed a 7/21 Passport Office appointment... I got two kids to take care of, so going there at 6 am and waiting is not an option for me :(
Can't believe I have to wait for a month just to submit a document :eek:
Which location did you get the appointment at? I'm surprised you got one tbh, everywhere I look it is 'This office currently has no available appointments'

sharp1

May 3, 2021
I was looking at that too as I just did this a few weeks ago, and it was definitely 25 days then - I think they must have changed those requirements recently.
Yeah looks like it. Even their twitter account said 25 days, looks like they increased it to 45. Which might be a good thing??

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Yeah looks like it. Even their twitter account said 25 days, looks like they increased it to 45. Which might be a good thing??
The only downside I see is that it's not going to reduce the lines much until the backlog is gone, but it definitely gives more flexibility. (This would have been great for us, and I would have accepted mailing instead of direct pick-up, and so apart from saving me time, would also have meant one less person coming and standing in line, albeit a different one, and staff that could do something else.)

Implies that the announced measures are getting closer to reducing the backlogs (not that there are many other signs).

sharp1

May 3, 2021
The only downside I see is that it's not going to reduce the lines much until the backlog is gone, but it definitely gives more flexibility. (This would have been great for us, and I would have accepted mailing instead of direct pick-up, and so apart from saving me time, would also have meant one less person coming and standing in line, albeit a different one, and staff that could do something else.)

Implies that the announced measures are getting closer to reducing the backlogs (not that there are many other signs).
Certainly makes it more flexible. Now I'm going to wait till I'm 45 days away from travel instead of using a dummy ticket or whatever.

I think as we get closer to the end of summer, the backlogs should reduce. I have no proof lol, but I feel most people travel in the summer and as we get closer to the school year, fall, etc. there will be fewer people looking to get their passports.