+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian passport for my son born in China

lastofsane

Mar 4, 2022
Hello. I'm a Canadian citizen who lives and works in China. My wife, who is a Chinese national, and I recently had our first baby. We have been married for four years and our relationship/documents are all in order (as far as China is concerned). Our son is 8 months old now and we are beginning to consider moving to Canada.

I have many questions. First, What is the procedure for proving that he is my biological son so that he can claim his citizenship and be recognized as such by the Canadian government?

Second, what is the procedure for obtaining his Canadian passport while we are all still living here in China? What documents should I prepare and what would the Canadian embassy in Beijing require from my wife and me?

Third, what would be the procedure for applying for my wife's permanent residence given that our son is also her dependent child? How does my relationship to him as a Canadian citizen/his biological father affect her application? Would his status be connected to hers as a dependent or does his situation change since he should have citizen rights through me?

Last edited:

bluffmaster88

Jun 5, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello. I'm a Canadian citizen who lives and works in China. My wife, who is a Chinese national, and I recently had our first baby. We have been married for four years and our relationship/documents are all in order (as far as China is concerned). Our son is 8 months old now and we are beginning to consider moving to Canada.

I have many questions. First, What is the procedure for proving that he is my biological son so that he can claim his citizenship and be recognized as such by the Canadian government?

Second, what is the procedure for obtaining his Canadian passport while we are all still living here in China? What documents should I prepare and what would the Canadian embassy in Beijing require from my wife and me?

Third, what would be the procedure for applying for my wife's permanent residence given that our son is also her dependent child? How does my relationship to him as a Canadian citizen/his biological father affect her application? Would his status be connected to hers as a dependent or does his situation change since he should have citizen rights through me?
1. Apply for proof of citizenship for your son. https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-citizenship/proof-citizenship/about.html

2. Once you get citizenship certificate, you can apply for your son's passport.

3. You have to be a resident of Canada to sponsor your wife. Your son's immigration status will have no effect on your wife's application.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
You apply for his citizenship certificate and passport, I believe you can do it at the same time. Docs required are standard stuff: birth certificate, your docs, local docs. Translated and notarized copies where appropriate.

In short, google. You should contact the closest embassy/consulate - consular service - as they will have dealt with this before and send you to the correct forms. I believe they still accept these applications locally, at least for the passport.

I've heard different things about timelines for the citizenship certificate: for most it can take over a year, but I have hread a few cases of children abroad - your case- getting them more quickly. I don't believe you ahve to wait for the certificate to apply for passport, you can do them at same time.

You apply to sponsor him. As a citizen, he does not get sponsored (that would be nonsense). None of this affects the application except as a further proof of your relationship/. Her status as an applicant for PR is dependent on yours; once she lands as a PR, it is no longer dependent on anything except herself.