+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian passport for a child problems

jaydee77

Apr 20, 2015
I need to apply for a passport for my 5 year old daughter who was born in Japan, and while we have a guarantor, references, citizenship certificate, we have an issue with proof of parentage. The CIC website says to provide a long form birth certificate (doesn't qualify, as she was born abroad), adoption papers (she wasn't adopted) or a foreign birth certificate with parents' names. The last one is a problem. Japan doesn't issue birth certificates. They have something called a family registry. However, we don't have access to our family registry, as we're in Japan. We sent our only copy to CIC when applying for my daughter's citizenship certificate. And anyway, it's in Japanese. We have a very limited amount of time, as we need to travel to Japan for a family death, and we only have a month. I know we can get the passport in 10 business days, but the issue is that we wouldn't be able to get her birth documents from Japan in time, nor could we obtain them without actually going to Japan. This is a major problem. Any thoughts?

I should mention that she has a Japanese passport, but as she is a dual citizen, she's not eligible for eTA, and cannot enter Canada without either an eTA or a Canadian passport.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
jaydee77 said:
I should mention that she has a Japanese passport, but as she is a dual citizen, she's not eligible for eTA, and cannot enter Canada without either an eTA or a Canadian passport.
When in Japan, you can try applying for a "special authorization" for dual citizens that don't hold a Canadian passport. It's kind of like an eTA specifically for dual-citizens. She would need to have her "Certificate of Canadian citizenship" completed. Also I'm not sure how long this program will last for, I think it's just in place since so many dual-citizens were caught unwawe of the new eTA rules.
See here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/dual-canadian-citizens.asp#findOut
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/department/media/notices/2017-01-27.asp

Alternatively, if you routed your flight back to the USA and entered Canada via land border, she could enter just based on Japanese passport, and CBSA could see in their system she's actually a Canadian citizen. eTA is only required to board an airplane directly to Canada, not if already at the border talking to CBSA.

TaiCat

May 11, 2017
Apply for Koseki from the embassy in whatever country you are residing atm. It's only valid for 6 months from the date of issue

Sep 27, 2017
Hi
Can anyone advise me on wat to do coz I wanted to apply for my child passport who is 4 months old..but the father of my child is in the Phillippines..and we are going to visit him dats y I wanted to apply passport for my child..how is it possible if dey nid both parents signiture and appea

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi
Can anyone advise me on wat to do coz I wanted to apply for my child passport who is 4 months old..but the father of my child is in the Phillippines..and we are going to visit him dats y I wanted to apply passport for my child..how is it possible if dey nid both parents signiture and appea
Is the child born in Canada? And you and child are in Canada? If so, I don't see why you cannot apply the passport for your child.