+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian Passport application

sonechko

Nov 21, 2019
Hello fellows, I am checking the list of documents needed for a Canadian passport and one of them is "Any valid Canadian travel document (passport, certificate of identity or refugee travel document) issued to you." This is my first passport application so I have none of those documents, my native country passport is expired (and it's not a Canadian document) and the PR card was cut as requested during the ceremony. What document do they expect me to enclose in this case? Any help is highly appreciated, thank you in advance ^__^

anustays

Star Member
Jan 29, 2014
hi all, i have completed my oath and want to apply for canadian passport. Want to clear a doubt on name change. Can I write a new name directly on the application form? Do i need to add any specific docs? A heads up that I have never changed my name before this and i have all my ids displaying my present name!
Thanks all

mbaleine

Mar 13, 2019
hi all, i have completed my oath and want to apply for canadian passport. Want to clear a doubt on name change. Can I write a new name directly on the application form? Do i need to add any specific docs? A heads up that I have never changed my name before this and i have all my ids displaying my present name!
Thanks all
Your name on the passport must match that on the citizenship certificate. You need to 1) legally change your name with your province 2) apply for an updated citizenship certificate 3) apply for passport with new name and updated citizenship certificate.

Reactions: smallpotato

Ajkenniek

Star Member
Nov 16, 2019
Calgary
Med's Request
May 27,2017
Med's Done....
June 3,2017
VISA ISSUED...
Student Visa in 2011 for Postgraduate at Niagara Ontario
LANDED..........
June 29, 2017
I used my family friend( Husband and wife both Canadian) as a guarantor & reference also used another family friend as second reference(Canadian). BUT you can use Canadian as your guarantor and permanent residency as references.

I submitted the following documents
- PPTC 153(06-2019) 7of 7 (for requirement checklist - applying for the first time so checked box 1,2,3,4 and 6 only and leave the one with Any valid Canadian travel document blank).
- Driver licence both front and back in one page and guarantor must signed by each side with date( two signatures with date)
- 2 Passport photos taken within last 6months and one certified by guarantor with date
- Original Canadian Citizenship Certificate
- Credit Card information
- I double check before sending by Canada post (Xpressport)

I became Canadian citizen in March 2020 but due corona virus all the Service Canada in Calgary was closed down( in person services). I read the news recently that Service Canada begins the gradual opening then I decided to send my Canadian passport application by mail (non urgent) with Canada post (Xpresspost) on August 9,2020 to passport program (Gatineau QC K1A0G3) and it was received on August 11 at 9:18am.

I contacted them on 21st Aug using the link : ( PROCESSING TIME)
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-passports/contact-passport-program.html

Got the following response on 24th of August 2020.
"Although we could have received your application, it has not been examined yet nor has a file been created in your name. Passport service have been suspended due to the COVID-19 situation. The processing of application will resume once the situation has been resolved
If you sent your passport application via courier or registered mail, we recommend that you communicate with the courier service provider in order to confirm that your passport application was delivered at the Passport Program.
For information concerning your passport application, please call 1-800-567-6868. Please do not reply to this email. We trust this information is of assistance to you."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Good news

I received a Xpressport envelope from passport office in Brampton containing returned Canadian citizenship Certificate , Passport Canada official receipt with my name on it and Mail-out date when I will receive my passport and also a small paper saying in reference to your passport application , you will find enclosed the following documents then list of checked boxes but they only checked Credit card receipt and Certificate of Canadian citizenship.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I contacted them again through the link on August 31, 2020 then received email on 2nd of September 2020

Your passport was sent to you by Xpresspost on August 28, 2020. The Canada Post item number is xxxxxxxxxxx You can track the delivery of your passport at www.canadapost.ca.

Warning: The status of an application can only be provided to the applicant.

VC
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

With the Canadapost Xpressport tracking number given to me I was able to track it on Canadapost app on my phone
Item accepted Mississauga, ON Aug 28 at 1:11pm
Item processed Mississauga, ON Sept 01 at 7:55pm
Item arrived Calgary , AB Sept 3 at 1:39am
Item processed Calgary,AB at Sept 3 at 6:19am
Item out for delivery Calgary,AB Sept 3 at 7:46am
Delivered Calgary ,AB at 11:32 am

Canada post worker pressed my doorbell at 11:32am to delivery my Canadian passport.

Last edited:

Glory@2019

Star Member
Aug 29, 2019
Hi everyone, please I will appreciate if someone can reply to my question. I will like to apply for Canadian passport soon. My question is regarding the original citizenship certificate to be sent with the application. How do I get the certificate back from passport office? Question number two, on this thread someone mentioned using credit card information as an identity. Do you I need to include this too? Please I will appreciate any response.

Reactions: PayalD91

Ajkenniek

Star Member
Nov 16, 2019
Calgary
Med's Request
May 27,2017
Med's Done....
June 3,2017
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
June 29, 2017
Hi everyone, please I will appreciate if someone can reply to my question. I will like to apply for Canadian passport soon. My question is regarding the original citizenship certificate to be sent with the application. How do I get the certificate back from passport office? Question number two, on this thread someone mentioned using credit card information as an identity. Do you I need to include this too? Please I will appreciate any response.
Passport Canada will mail the Citizenship Certificate and your receipt to you even before you get your Canadian passport. You can not use your credit card information as identity. You only need your Credit card information for paying $160 on page PPTC153 (06-2019) 4 of 7 When you are applying by mail.

Last edited:

Ajkenniek

Star Member
Nov 16, 2019
Calgary
Med's Request
May 27,2017
Med's Done....
June 3,2017
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
June 29, 2017
I used my family friend( Husband and wife both Canadian) as a guarantor & reference also used another family friend as second reference(Canadian). BUT you can use Canadian as your guarantor and permanent residency as references.

I submitted the following documents
- PPTC 153(06-2019) 7of 7 (for requirement checklist - applying for the first time so checked box 1,2,3,4 and 6 only and leave the one with Any valid Canadian travel document blank).
- Driver licence both front and back in one page and guarantor must signed by each side with date( two signatures with date)
- 2 Passport photos taken within last 6months and one certified by guarantor with date
- Original Canadian Citizenship Certificate
- Credit Card information
- I double check before sending by Canada post (Xpressport)

I became Canadian citizen in March 2020 but due corona virus all the Service Canada in Calgary was closed down( in person services). I read the news recently that Service Canada begins the gradual opening then I decided to send my Canadian passport application by mail (non urgent) with Canada post (Xpresspost) on August 9,2020 to passport program (Gatineau QC K1A0G3) and it was received on August 11 at 9:18am.

I contacted them on 21st Aug using the link : ( PROCESSING TIME)
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-passports/contact-passport-program.html

Got the following response on 24th of August 2020.
"Although we could have received your application, it has not been examined yet nor has a file been created in your name. Passport service have been suspended due to the COVID-19 situation. The processing of application will resume once the situation has been resolved
If you sent your passport application via courier or registered mail, we recommend that you communicate with the courier service provider in order to confirm that your passport application was delivered at the Passport Program.
For information concerning your passport application, please call 1-800-567-6868. Please do not reply to this email. We trust this information is of assistance to you."

Good news

I received a Xpressport envelope from passport office in Brampton containing returned Canadian citizenship Certificate , Passport Canada official receipt with my name on it and Mail-out date when I will receive my passport and also a small paper saying in reference to your passport application , you will find enclosed the following documents then list of checked boxes but they only checked Credit card receipt and Certificate of Canadian citizenship.

I contacted them again through the link on August 31, 2020 then received email on 2nd of September 2020

Your passport was sent to you by Xpresspost on August 28, 2020. The Canada Post item number is xxxxxxxxxxx You can track the delivery of your passport at www.canadapost.ca.

Warning: The status of an application can only be provided to the applicant.

VC
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

With the Canadapost Xpressport tracking number given to me I was able to track it on Canadapost app on my phone
Item accepted Mississauga, ON Aug 28 at 1:11pm
Item processed Mississauga, ON Sept 01 at 7:55pm
Item arrived Calgary , AB Sept 3 at 1:39am
Item processed Calgary,AB at Sept 3 at 6:19am
Item out for delivery Calgary,AB Sept 3 at 7:46am
Delivered Calgary ,AB at 11:32 am

Canada post worker pressed my doorbell at 11:32am to delivery my Canadian passport.
You only need your Credit card information for paying $160 on page PPTC153 (06-2019) 4 of 7 When you are applying by mail.

Ajkenniek

Star Member
Nov 16, 2019
Calgary
Med's Request
May 27,2017
Med's Done....
June 3,2017
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
June 29, 2017

DanielQ

Star Member
Jun 7, 2019
I am now waiting for the citizenship certificate. Can I start preparing the photo and notary now? Or I have to wait until I got the certificate? Also have any of you applied urgent passport for less than 3 days? My company needs me to start traveling ASAP. Not sure if I can provide flight ticket, will I get passport for less than 3 days? Thanks,

zam7

Jun 7, 2016
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
08-02-2017
AOR Received.
08-02-2017
File Transfer...
06-04-2017
Med's Done....
24-03-2017
Passport Req..
25-05-2017
VISA ISSUED...
01-06-2017
LANDED..........
05-06-2017
I am now waiting for the citizenship certificate. Can I start preparing the photo and notary now? Or I have to wait until I got the certificate? Also have any of you applied urgent passport for less than 3 days? My company needs me to start traveling ASAP. Not sure if I can provide flight ticket, will I get passport for less than 3 days? Thanks,
Yes, you can and fill in the certificate number once you receive the certificate.

For urgent passports you have to be eligible and for passports in less than 2 days call them:

Call the Service Canada Passport Call Centre directly.
You can contact them at 1-800-567-6868

Eligibility for Urgent:

"You must provide proof that you need the passport.

Proof you need the passport can be

- an airline, bus or train ticket (If travelling by car, a written statement explaining why you need to travel)
- a travel itinerary showing proof of payment
- proof of illness or death in the family requiring you to travel
- a written statement from you or a third party explaining why you need the passport (For example, for legal, banking or residency requirements)

If we can’t deliver the passport in time to you or your child, we aren’t liable for any losses.
We recommend that you don’t finalize any travel plans until you get your passport."

Glory@2019

Star Member
Aug 29, 2019
Hi everyone, please am planning to apply for Canadian passport, on the application form it says print it type in capital letters. Do I feel the whole form in capital letters or just the space for personal information? Thanks