+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian Passport Application Question

ikwaner

Jan 9, 2021
Hi everyone,

If I have my citizenship card (has a photo with it) given to me as a child and because I got a name change (not last name) from then till now as an adult -- would it still be applicable even with name change document to get a Canadian passport?

I remember I was having some trouble with applying, but it has been over half a year that I forget.

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Hi everyone,

If I have my citizenship card (has a photo with it) given to me as a child and because I got a name change (not last name) from then till now as an adult -- would it still be applicable even with name change document to get a Canadian passport?

I remember I was having some trouble with applying, but it has been over half a year that I forget.
AFAIK, you can still use your citizenship card as proof of citizenship as long as it has your current name. If your name has changed after you were issued the citizenship card and the citizenship card contains your old name, then I strongly recommend that you get it replaced. You will be given a Citizenship certificate instead (They stopped issuing citizenship cards back in 2012).

Once you have your citizenship certificate, you can apply for a passport.