+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian passport application in person

Kwissi

Jun 24, 2018
Is it correct to assume that only persons physically present at the passport office can apply? I mean, could I take my wife's application with me to apply, since she cannot come because of work commitments?

thanks

walsaad

Jan 30, 2018
No it isn't, in fact you can apply on your wife's behalf

Who can submit a passport application in person on my behalf?

When applying in person, it’s best that you submit your application yourself. However, if this is not possible, a third party can submit the application if they:

• show identification
  • are 16 years of age or older
  • are your
    • parent
    • child
    • parent's spouse or common-law partner
    • child's spouse or common-law partner
    • brother or sister
    • half-brother or half-sister
    • stepbrother or stepsister
    • spouse or common-law partner
    • relatives of your spouse or common-law partner, including their:
      • parent
      • child
      • brother or sister
In all cases, the passport official must be able to verify the information on the application with the third party. If the third party cannot validate your information, we can refuse your application.

The people in the list above may or may not live at the same address as you. In all cases, the person must show identification. If the identification does not prove that the person lives with you, they must also bring a written statement signed by you, authorizing them to submit your passport application.

Any relative living at your address can also submit an application on your behalf if they:

• show identification that confirms where they live
    • if their identification doesn’t have an address, they will need to show other documentation to prove they live at the same address as you
We do not accept urgent or express applications submitted by a third party.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-passports/help-centre/apply.html#submit

Reactions: foodie69

sns204

Champion Member
Dec 12, 2012
I dropped off my wife's application when she did her renewal. I believe the same rule applies for new passports.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-passports/help-centre/apply.html#submit

When applying in person, it’s best that you submit your application yourself. However, if this is not possible, a third party can submit the application if they:

• show identification
  • are your
    • parent
    • child
    • brother or sister
    • spouse or common-law partner
    • relatives of your spouse or common-law partner, including their:
      • parent
      • child
      • brother or sister
In all cases, the passport official must be able to verify the information on the application with the third party. If the third party cannot validate your information, we can refuse your application.

The people in the list above may or may not live at the same address as you. In all cases, the person must show identification. If the identification does not prove that the person lives with you, they must also bring a written statement signed by you, authorizing them to submit your passport application.

Any relative living at your address can also submit an application on your behalf if they:

• show identification that confirms where they live
    • if their identification doesn’t have an address, they will need to show other documentation to prove they live at the same address as you
We do not accept urgent or express applications submitted by a third party.

Reactions: foodie69