+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian Passport Application by Mail - Mother's surname at birth - mandatory?

mehtab007

Star Member
Jan 22, 2012
India
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello Everyone,

Is filling Mother's surname at birth mandatory in Passport application? I left it blank (thinking its optional) and send my application via mail. Now am worried!
Please any ideas?

vvarma

Jul 18, 2015
It's not optional unless it's clearly marked as optional. On the form nowhere does it suggest it is optional.
I believe Mother's Surname at birth is her maiden last name? Does it appear on the Passport?

navid2014

Jul 9, 2014
I believe Mother's Surname at birth is her maiden last name? Does it appear on the Passport?
Yes you are correct it will be her last name & it wont appear on your physical passport but this information will be stored in their system for identification purpose.

Reactions: vvarma

Shushmoy Mahid

Star Member
Apr 8, 2020
Hello Everyone, I have a issue.
During PR application, in schedule A ( 5669 form) I put my mother's name at birth as Surname: Akter Banu. It was her name before her marriage.
In my birth certificate / passport, my mother name is written as Surname: Ezaz.
Also, write now, all my mother's Travel document/ National Identity card every where written as Surname: Ezaz.
So, when I will apply for my Canadian passport, what shall I write as my mother's name ?

In my passport/ Birth-certificate:
Mother Name ( Given) : Salina, Surname : Ezaz

In my mother passport/ Her Birth-certificate : Given Name : Salina ; Surname : Ezaz

iceman55

May 1, 2022
Hello Everyone, I have a issue.
During PR application, in schedule A ( 5669 form) I put my mother's name at birth as Surname: Akter Banu. It was her name before her marriage.
In my birth certificate / passport, my mother name is written as Surname: Ezaz.
Also, write now, all my mother's Travel document/ National Identity card every where written as Surname: Ezaz.
So, when I will apply for my Canadian passport, what shall I write as my mother's name ?

In my passport/ Birth-certificate:
Mother Name ( Given) : Salina, Surname : Ezaz

In my mother passport/ Her Birth-certificate : Given Name : Salina ; Surname : Ezaz
I'm assuming Ezaz is the last name she assumed after the marriage/partnership.

Your mom's current passport/National ID as well as your birth certificate were all likely issued after she got married or entered the partnership (and assumed a new surname). So it's completely normal for her to have a different maiden name than what is on her current officials documents.

For whatever reason her own birth certificate also has her new name. (You can correct me if'm wrong here.)

Unless you're including your mom with your application I don't think this is going to be an issue. They're probably not going to need to verify this particular piece of info by asking you to produce your mom's birth certificate.

There's no harm in going with your mom's original name. If there's an issue later (like you're sponsoring her for a parent visa or something), you can always clarify.

Typically in North American context, a monther's maiden name is almost always used as a challenge for identity verifcation. For example, if you call IRCC for something, they might ask to confirm your mother's maiden name to verify your identity and see if it matches what you provided in your original application. They use the mother's maiden name for this purpose because it's a very personal information that most likely only you will know as well as it doesn't change (since it was the birth name and it doesn't change with life events such as a divorce/a new marriage etc).

As long as you provide the same maiden name everywhere I'd just go with whatever her original name was.

You might also get better answers in the PR forum than here.