Med's Request
02/10/14
Med's Done....
5/10/14
Passport Req..
10/11/14
VISA ISSUED...
15/10/14
This is correct. My case differs. Another poster (scylla) is on agreement with you in that the rout I need to take is a temporary passport.
Hello,

How were you able to get this sorted?

I am in a similar situation and totally clueless how to handle. Can you help with Information on process applying for proof of citizenship and temporary passport from nigeria. Also any important info to note in order to achieve this, where to go for what, any documentation or requirements to note etc.

I will really appreciate this. Thanks

goldenarrow

Sep 30, 2022
Yes, the baby will be a citizen at birth.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/canadian-citizenship/admininistration/identity/who-parent-purposes-where-assisted-human-reproduction-including-surrogacy-arrangements-involved.html

You'll want to apply for proof of citizenship as soon as the baby is born which will allow you to get a passport. However this process is taking a number of months right now (well over 8?). So you would at the same time apply for a temporary passport so that you can bring the child to Canada sooner. I don't know how long this takes in Nigeria.
Do you need to apply for proof of citizenship if you already have the certificate of citizenship?

richardojel

Aug 30, 2022
Hello,

How were you able to get this sorted?

I am in a similar situation and totally clueless how to handle. Can you help with Information on process applying for proof of citizenship and temporary passport from nigeria. Also any important info to note in order to achieve this, where to go for what, any documentation or requirements to note etc.

I will really appreciate this. Thanks
Hi,

Could you update me on how you resolved this issue please

richardojel

Aug 30, 2022
Your situation would be very different since your child would not qualify for a TRP if the child is able to get Canadian citizenship by descent.
But to have to wait 17months to be issued a passport ( Passport will only be issued once child is able to get CC by descent )

I am very curious to know in reality how @concrete and @naija babe 2 resolved their issues since we all have similar cases.

richardojel

Aug 30, 2022
Hi, were you able to figure this out?
Not 100% sure as nothing beats hearing from those with experience . All I know if that I have to submit a Nigerian Passport if the child qualifies for it along with the form Canadian citizenship,DNA test to the embassy and request emergency process. Hopefully they issue a transit visa on the Nigerian passport

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Not 100% sure as nothing beats hearing from those with experience . All I know if that I have to submit a Nigerian Passport if the child qualifies for it along with the form Canadian citizenship,DNA test to the embassy and request emergency process. Hopefully they issue a transit visa on the Nigerian passport
The child would not qualify for a TRV as a child of a Canadian citizen. They will only be able to travel on emergency documents so it will take some time likely a few months.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
The child would not qualify for a TRV as a child of a Canadian citizen. They will only be able to travel on emergency documents so it will take some time likely a few months.
There is a type of visa that can be issued to (putative) Canadian citizens in a foreign passport, I believe they call it a facilitation visa - but it is rare enough that I've never actually heard of one being issued. So pretty much an emergency document, too. (I bring this up only to note possible even if highly unlikely in a case such as this... I think)

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
There is a type of visa that can be issued to (putative) Canadian citizens in a foreign passport, I believe they call it a facilitation visa - but it is rare enough that I've never actually heard of one being issued. So pretty much an emergency document, too. (I bring this up only to note possible even if highly unlikely in a case such as this... I think)
Based on previous examples I’ve seen I think the only option in this case is for the family to apply for emergency travel documents for the child as a Canadian citizen. Best person to consult would be a lawyer who specializes in international adoptions and surrogacy.

y100784

Apr 3, 2024
Hi,

Here's my situation:

- Me: born in England, became a Canadian citizen In 2002

- Husband: born in Nigeria, became a Canadian citizen in 2015

- Undergoing gestational surrogacy, meaning the surrogate will have no genetic link to our baby.

- Will have legal documentation about surrogacy agreement

- Husband and I will be listed on birth certificate as parents. Not sure if it will say biological mother and father though

- We will get a DNA test done and have that documentation to show I'm biological mother and husband is biological father

- Baby will be born in Nigeria

Can someone confirm if our baby will be automatically granted Canadian citizenship? What documents will I need to apply for from Nigeria? How long can it take? Any options to expedite? I don't want to be stuck there with a newborn for months

I also want to be sure I'm not missing anything. Suggestions are welcomed
Hello I'm undergoing same process and I need help!