+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian Law on Changes to Family Name

abdeich

Jan 8, 2019
Hello everyone! I have been in Canada for 7 years - I live in Montreal, Quebec. I am a permanent resident. Me and my partner are planning a wedding this fall. I want to change my last name after marriage due to personal reasons, but we heard it might be complicated in Quebec. I am not a citizen of Canada so I was wondering what the process would look like for me? Should I travel back home, update my last name there and then once I return to Canada with the updated last name in my passport- update my PR, RAMQ and driving license here to match the new last name? Or should I apply for the change in my last name from Quebec?

I would appreciate any advice! Thank you so much in advance!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello everyone! I have been in Canada for 7 years - I live in Montreal, Quebec. I am a permanent resident. Me and my partner are planning a wedding this fall. I want to change my last name after marriage due to personal reasons, but we heard it might be complicated in Quebec. I am not a citizen of Canada so I was wondering what the process would look like for me? Should I travel back home, update my last name there and then once I return to Canada with the updated last name in my passport- update my PR, RAMQ and driving license here to match the new last name? Or should I apply for the change in my last name from Quebec?

I would appreciate any advice! Thank you so much in advance!
You can’t change your name in Quebec to your spouse’s name.

https://www.justice.gouv.qc.ca/en/couples-and-families/marriage-civil-union-and-de-facto-union/marriage/married-name/

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Even for religious reasons? There is no solution?
Not for religious reasons in Quebec. It wouldn’t actually be for religious reasons more like cultural preferences. Separation of church and state\province. There must be acwork around like chamount your name abroad first. You‘ll need to ask around if ask an immigration lawyer familiar with Quebec Laws.

abdeich

Jan 8, 2019
Thank you for your advice, will do so! I am not a citizen of Canada so I was thinking about flying back home, changing last name there, and then upon my return to Quebec updating all the documents here. I am just worried - if we get married in Quebec won’t we have problems after that? Or maybe we should get married in another Canadian province (Ontario?)