+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian immigration and how they view marriage

greenside

Jul 18, 2013
Hi There,

My fiance and I are thinking that it would be a great crazy idea to go to vegas to get married, mainly because weve always wanted to go there and to get a start with our married life. Would Canadian immigration have a problem with our marriage being in Vegas, would they try and turn around and say it is not valid or something or would they judge it more on our 2 year relationship ?

any advice would be great.

Isometry

Aug 18, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo-->Seattle
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Oct 28 2011
File Transfer...
Jan 9 2012-->Feb 9 2012
Med's Done....
Sept 19 2011
Passport Req..
March 21 2012
VISA ISSUED...
April 21 2012
LANDED..........
May 17th 2012
Where you get married won't matter. The important thing to keep in mind is that they want it to look like you got married to be together, not solely to get into Canada.

What might matter is whether you have family at the wedding, as a wedding with family attending looks more "normal". Even this isn't necessary--My husband and I eloped and had what was basically a courthouse wedding, with 2 friends as witnesses and no family. The most important thing is that you can explain your choice and that it makes sense in context. If you've both always wanted to go to Vegas, then go for it! :)

steph816

Star Member
Dec 21, 2009
Visa Office......
Pretoria
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-05-2011
AOR Received.
01-06-2011
File Transfer...
13-06-2011 VO began processing 06-10-2011
Med's Request
10-01-2012
Med's Done....
22-01-2011, 27-02-2012
Interview........
23-05-2012
Passport Req..
19-06-2012
VISA ISSUED...
06-07-2012
LANDED..........
20-07-2012
Just make sure you have enough evidence of your relationship. They will want to know why you had no family there, if that happens, etc... Start collecting emails that show u discussing getting married in Vegas with your parents,m friends, etc and include in your application. It will show u talked about it and u didn't just take off to speed up your process to get into the country. You basically need to provide as much proof that your marriage is what they call "bona fide".

Itis also better to include pics of you two with other people rather than just the two of u together, to show you are seen an known as a couple to others.

Good luck!!

greenside

Jul 18, 2013
Thanks for the replies,
we have 2 years of photos etc together, my parents live in Canada and her parents are working all the time hence we thought as we want to start our lives together now and have always wanted to go to Las Vegas we could do both in the way we want.
We have the view that its us getting married and alot of expense just to entertain the rest of the family and friends isnt what were about. I think all our photos and our relationship shouldn't be in doubt at all and if its a certified marriage that is recognised then that shouldnt be a problem I would think.

Alurra71

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
07-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013
greenside said:
Thanks for the replies,
we have 2 years of photos etc together, my parents live in Canada and her parents are working all the time hence we thought as we want to start our lives together now and have always wanted to go to Las Vegas we could do both in the way we want.
We have the view that its us getting married and alot of expense just to entertain the rest of the family and friends isnt what were about. I think all our photos and our relationship shouldn't be in doubt at all and if its a certified marriage that is recognised then that shouldnt be a problem I would think.
As long as the marriage is legal and you have an 'explanation' as to why you did it this way, i.e. this is what we wanted, didn't want to spend all the extra money on entertaining people when this is about us, then it won't be a problem. I think as long as you guys didn't meet the day before yesterday in Caesars' Vegas and married today, then it won't raise any flags as to where you actually got married. Good luck, do what you want for the wedding, it is after all, YOUR wedding and enjoy your lives together as husband/wife.