+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian experience. Part time contract but full time hours.

Raminhassni

Aug 20, 2017
Hi folks.
I just have a quick question. What if my contract is part time but worked 30 hours per week? Does that make problem? My employer just gave me a letter saying I am part time but I have the hours on my payslips. Do I have to bring some of the payslips in the application. Thanks for your help.

SatNight

Dec 2, 2017
Different companies may have different rules of what constitutes full time. For example, 45 hours. So if you work 30, it is part time for them.

That is not an issue, since for the Immigration, 30h is full time. Just make sure to document that. I would also write a short letter of explanation, where you tell them "the company wrote part-time because in this company, X is full time, but I worked 30 hours per week".

Raminhassni

Aug 20, 2017
Different companies may have different rules of what constitutes full time. For example, 45 hours. So if you work 30, it is part time for them.

That is not an issue, since for the Immigration, 30h is full time. Just make sure to document that. I would also write a short letter of explanation, where you tell them "the company wrote part-time because in this company, X is full time, but I worked 30 hours per week".
I appreciate your response. my employer refused to write in the reference letter that I have worked more than 30 hours per week. but in all of my payslips, 67 hours for all two_week periods are recorded. in that case do you recommend to put some of my payslips and explain that my hours have been more that 30 hours?

SatNight

Dec 2, 2017
I appreciate your response. my employer refused to write in the reference letter that I have worked more than 30 hours per week. but in all of my payslips, 67 hours for all two_week periods are recorded. in that case do you recommend to put some of my payslips and explain that my hours have been more that 30 hours?
Yes, you have to prove that you worked 30h (more than 30 doesn't count).

Reactions: Raminhassni

Taran D

VIP Member
Oct 1, 2020
Hi folks.
I just have a quick question. What if my contract is part time but worked 30 hours per week? Does that make problem? My employer just gave me a letter saying I am part time but I have the hours on my payslips. Do I have to bring some of the payslips in the application. Thanks for your help.
See it depends upon the officer alloted to your file. Sometimes the officers are so fussy that even though all the docs are submitted still they find one way or another to ask for additional documents or a way to reject, while there are others who know each and every thing thoroughly and sometimes ignore little bit mistakes. So coming back on your ques, even though its fine that you had worked ( which is a necessity) the word "part time" may or may not arise a problem.
Request your employer to ammend that (I had read above that you mentioned he is refusing for this), try to convince him by comparing your offer letter.

Reactions: Raminhassni

Raminhassni

Aug 20, 2017
See it depends upon the officer alloted to your file. Sometimes the officers are so fussy that even though all the docs are submitted still they find one way or another to ask for additional documents or a way to reject, while there are others who know each and every thing thoroughly and sometimes ignore little bit mistakes. So coming back on your ques, even though its fine that you had worked ( which is a necessity) the word "part time" may or may not arise a problem.
Request your employer to ammend that (I had read above that you mentioned he is refusing for this), try to convince him by comparing your offer letter.
thanks for your advice but my employer is not one person to convince .its got 5000 employees. they have fixed policies for all members.

Taran D

VIP Member
Oct 1, 2020
thanks for your advice but my employer is not one person to convince .its got 5000 employees. they have fixed policies for all members.
When they offered you a job was it part-time or full -time? If they are fuzzy in this part what is the guarantee that they are going to be postive with IRCC query? I know every company has their own rules but still you want to convince them for your own work. Just saying, all the best.