+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian Experience Class

Fkama027

Aug 7, 2023
My application was recently refused under the Masters Stream for submitting My application late. I have a causal job with the city of ottawa as a shelter support worker. my question is, should i be able to make the 1560 hour within a year, can i qualify for the Canadian Experience Class through express entry? Because my job is not full-time nor part-time, i get shifts base on the availability i submit. Or do i need to just work for the 2 years period to make up the 1560 hours as a part-time work? please i need someone to answer this question for me. Thank you

t6e4m8

Star Member
Aug 3, 2019
Alberta, Canada
For CEC, you can work either full-time or part-time. You can also work multiple jobs and combine their hours together, as long as they add up to at least 1560 hrs. However, there are a few things to keep in mind:
1: The jobs need to be TEER 0, 1, 2, or 3 occupations
2: You need to be under an Employer-Employee relationship. That means you can’t be self-employed or work as a contractor. Taxes, CPP, EI must be deducted by your employer and they should issue you a T4 tax slip
3: For each week, only a maximum of 30 hrs will be counted towards CEC
4: Work experience must be within the last 3 years before you submit a complete PR application
5: Your job duties must match the Main Duties of NOC code which you need to select

See below for the eligibility to apply for CEC:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/eligibility/canadian-experience-class.html#work-experience

Qualified work experience for CEC:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/permanent-residence/economic-classes/experience/qualifying-work-experience.html#

Last edited:

Fkama027

Aug 7, 2023
For CEC, you can work either full-time or part-time. You can also work multiple jobs and combine their hours together, as long as they add up to at least 1560 hrs. However, there are a few things to keep in mind:
1: The jobs need to be TEER 0, 1, 2, or 3 occupations
2: You need to be under an Employer-Employee relationship. That means you can’t be self-employed or work as a contractor. Taxes, CPP, EI must be deducted by your employer and they should issue you a T4 tax slip
3: For each week, only a maximum of 30 hrs will be counted towards CEC
4: Work experience must be within the last 3 years before you submit a complete PR application
5: Your job duties must match the Main Duties of NOC code which you need to select

See below for the eligibility to apply for CEC:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/eligibility/canadian-experience-class.html#work-experience

Qualified work experience for CEC:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/permanent-residence/economic-classes/experience/qualifying-work-experience.html#
Thank you very much for the information. I do wish to ask if causal jobs can be used. Again, must the two jobs be in the same field or they can be in different field?

t6e4m8

Star Member
Aug 3, 2019
Alberta, Canada
Thank you very much for the information. I do wish to ask if causal jobs can be used. Again, must the two jobs be in the same field or they can be in different field?
For CEC, jobs don't have to be in the same fields. They can be either different or the same. They just need to fall into TEER 0, 1, 2, or 3.

Regarding your question about whether your casual job can be used: I can't give a definite answer because every job is different and I don't want to mislead you. You need to consider factors including but not limited to: Does the job belong to the required TEERs? Are you considered an employee or contractor? Do your job duties match the NOC code? Since it's a casual job, will your employer provide you with documents to prove this work experience once you get ITA? Etc... ...) So, because I don't know exactly what your casual job does, I don't want to mislead you. You need to check your job against the information I sent you earlier.

Last edited:

Fkama027

Aug 7, 2023
For CEC, jobs don't have to be in the same fields. They can be either different or the same. They just need to fall into TEER 0, 1, 2, or 3.

Regarding your question about whether your casual job can be used: I can't give a definite answer because every job is different and I don't want to mislead you. You need to consider factors including but not limited to: Does the job belong to the required TEERs? Are you considered an employee or contractor? Do your job duties match the NOC code? Since it's a casual job, will your employer provide you with documents to prove this work experience once you get ITA? Etc... ...) So, because I don't know exactly what your casual job does, I don't want to mislead you. You need to check your job against the information I sent you earlier.
Thank you so much...This so much informing.

Fkama027

Aug 7, 2023
@t6e4m8 said Thank you for providing answers to my question but i really need an answer as to what job i can use in my express entry.

I have worked in the pre-casting industry for 3 years as full time employee. The company specializes in concrete, so basically its a construction company. I have 2 years experience as a crane operator, which falls under Teer 2 of the NOC code 72500. On the other hand, I work as a causal shelter support worker with the city of Ottawa. I will be exactly 1 year in this job in November 2023. With this shelter job, Fall under the same Teer 2 of the NOC code 42201 Social and Community Service. However, with the shelter job, I have not accumulated the 1560 hours, I am at just 657 hours for now. I have my masters degree in Sociology.

Base on your previous answers to my question, i understand i can use both jobs for the CEC express entry. but my question now is, which of this jobs can i specifically used in expressing my interest in the stream?

secondly, in case i use the crane operator in expressing my interest, will my education be accepted because my field study is in the humanitarian sectors.

I am sure and very certain of obtaining an employment reference letter from my company to support me in this course. Please help me with answers to my questions

Fkama027

Aug 7, 2023
I have worked in the pre-casting industry for 3 years as full time employee. The company specializes in concrete, so basically its a construction company. I have 2 years experience as a crane operator, which falls under Teer 2 of the NOC code 72500. On the other hand, I work as a causal shelter support worker with the city of Ottawa. I will be exactly 1 year in this job in November 2023. With this shelter job, Fall under the same Teer 2 of the NOC code 42201 Social and Community Service. However, with the shelter job, I have not accumulated the 1560 hours, I am at just 657 hours for now. I have my masters degree in Sociology.

Base on your previous answers to my question, i understand i can use both jobs for the CEC express entry. but my question now is, which of this jobs can i specifically used in expressing my interest in the stream?

secondly, in case i use the crane operator in expressing my interest, will my education be accepted because my field study is in the humanitarian sectors.

I am sure and very certain of obtaining an employment reference letter from my company to support me in this course. Can anyone offer me help to my questions please.

t6e4m8

Star Member
Aug 3, 2019
Alberta, Canada

I am sure and very certain of obtaining an employment reference letter from my company to support me in this course. Can anyone offer me help to my questions please.
For CEC, if both of your jobs are under the qualified TEERs, they will add the experience from both jobs and see how many years you have. So, I think it’s ok to put both jobs in the “work history” of your EE profile. but keep in mind that everything you add on “Work History” will require proof (such as reference letter, T4, NOA, pay stubs) once you get ITA and apply for PR.

Also consider that only a maximum of 30 hrs are counted each week. In addition , make sure your job duties written on your reference letter match the “main duties” of the Noc code. This is crucial.

For CEC, your education doesn’t have to be related to your work. So, don’t worry.

Last edited:

Fkama027

Aug 7, 2023
For CEC, if both of your jobs are under the qualified TEERs, they will add the experience from both jobs and see how many years you have. So, I think it’s ok to put both jobs in the “work history” of your EE profile. but keep in mind that everything you add on “Work History” will require proof (such as reference letter, T4, NOA, pay stubs) once you get ITA and apply for PR.

Also consider that only a maximum of 30 hrs are counted each week. In addition, make sure your job duties written on your reference letter match the “main duties” of the Noc code. This is crucial.

For CEC, your education doesn’t have to be related to your work. So, don’t worry.

Thank you for further clarifying.

Fkama027

Aug 7, 2023

Also consider that only a maximum of 30 hrs are counted each week. In addition , make sure your job duties written on your reference letter match the “main duties” of the Noc code. This is crucial.

Hello...thank for every answer you have given me here regarding my situation. It just so happens i have alot of such question because my PGWP is about to expire next year June and i am really looking forward to get the PR, so thank you alot.

I did like to get further guidance and information with the NOC code main duties. As a crane operator with my company, i have received training on how to run a bridge cranes ranging from 40 tonne, 10 tonne, and 5 tonne. I use this cranes to lift concrete finished products, loading them, flipping sceptic tanks, and other heavy rebars and infact i do multi-tasking job with the crane. Base on the Noc code main duties, i only see two main duties that relate to some of the duties i perform in my company. The other duties under the Noc code seems to be related to other types of crane operators such as the climbing crane, dragline crane operator, gantry crane operator, boom truck crane operator, construction crane operator, crane operator, mobile crane operator, tower crane operator, tractor crane operator and that of bridge crane operator. Would you in your understanding of CEC stream, suggest i maybe qualify?