+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian equivalence of 2 Years Master of Arts (English) from Indian university

info4sourav

Star Member
Jul 8, 2014
Hello everyone,

My wife is a Secondary School Teacher in English. She has Master of Arts (English),Bachelor of Education (BEd) and Bachelor of Arts (English),all full time degrees & received from reputed Indian universities.

While checking the degree equivalence of her credentials on WES Free Degree Equivalence tool,she got a result like this:-

Credential 1
Country of Education: India
Name of Degree: Bachelor of Arts
Name of Institution: University of Calcutta
Equivalency in Canada: Bachelor's degree (3 years)

Credential 2
Name of Degree: Bachelor of Education
Name of Institution: University of Calcutta
Equivalency in Canada: Bachelor of Education

Credential 3
Name of Degree: Master of Arts
Name of Institution: Jadavpur University
Equivalency in Canada: 1 year of graduate study

I would like to know whether she can claim the maximum points against Masters or equivalent degree,on Express entry.

Thanks & regards,
Sourav Chakraborty

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
She cannot claim Masters because her degree hasn't been evaluated as Masters. But if she is the PA, she can claim the highest slab on Skills Transferability because she has 'Two or more degrees...'.

info4sourav

Star Member
Jul 8, 2014
But,how would she be able to claim the highest slab on Skills Transferability if her degree is not considered to be equivalent to a Canadian Masters?
While choosing the drop-down under the ''Highest level of education'' column in CRS tool,I can find that the option ''2 or more degrees'' is fetching her a lower score than the option of ''Masters'' ...

Pls advise.

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
info4sourav said:
But,how would she be able to claim the highest slab on Skills Transferability if her degree is not considered to be equivalent to a Canadian Masters?
While choosing the drop-down under the ''Highest level of education'' column in CRS tool,I can find that the option ''2 or more degrees'' is fetching her a lower score than the option of ''Masters'' ...

Pls advise.
True. She can claim BOTH the highest slabs if she has 'Two or more degrees...' and CLB 9 on IELTS.

info4sourav

Star Member
Jul 8, 2014
Sorry friend. I could not understand.

If she chooses ''2 or more degrees'', she would get certain point against it. But it is lower than what would have been if she had chosen ''Masters''..
Is this what you mean to say?

With ''Masters '',she is scoring 461 points while on selecting ''2 or more degrees'',she is getting 453.

Regards.

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
She cannot claim Masters because her Canadian equivalency isn't Masters. But she can claim 'Two or more degrees'.

If she is the PA, that gets her 119 points on Education. If she has CLB 9 in each section of IELTS, this would get her 50 points on that section of Skills Transferability. If she has less than CLB 9 on IELTS, she will get 25 points for that factor.

If she is not the PA, this would get her 9 points on Education and, of course, Skills Transferability won't apply in this case.

Hope that clarifies.

forcanada

Star Member
Apr 8, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
15-01-2016
Med's Done....
25-01-2016
Passport Req..
15-06-2016
Hi Asivad Anac
Do you think low marks scored in degrees affect WES evaluation?

vipulgoyal88

Star Member
May 6, 2015
hey forcanada, marks has nothing to do with equivalence. The level of recognition of the university does play a role.

forcanada

Star Member
Apr 8, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
15-01-2016
Med's Done....
25-01-2016
Passport Req..
15-06-2016
vipulgoyal88 said:
hey forcanada, marks has nothing to do with equivalence. The level of recognition of the university does play a role.
hi vipul.
a friend in another post talked about only first division degrees being considered as complete by WES. I read somewhere on their website that they do not evaluate degrees with below 55% marks.
I'm very worried because I have low second division in my bachelors degree.

vipulgoyal88

Star Member
May 6, 2015
yes, it depends on the division, 1st division are likely to be considered better. For ex, i have bcom from delhi university (3 years) in 1st division, its considered as Bachelors study (4 years ) in Canada, if it were 3rd division, it would have been evaluated as Bachelors (3 years) in Canada

forcanada

Star Member
Apr 8, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
15-01-2016
Med's Done....
25-01-2016
Passport Req..
15-06-2016
vipulgoyal88 said:
yes, it depends on the division, 1st division are likely to be considered better. For ex, i have bcom from delhi university (3 years) in 1st division, its considered as Bachelors study (4 years ) in Canada, if it were 3rd division, it would have been evaluated as Bachelors (3 years) in Canada
I would face a problem if this criteria is followed by WES.

YamPower

Champion Member
Jan 13, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Kingston, Jamaica
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-04-2015
Med's Done....
14-04-2015
Passport Req..
09-09-2015
VISA ISSUED...
23-09-2015
LANDED..........
13-11-2015
forcanada said:
hi vipul.
a friend in another post talked about only first division degrees being considered as complete by WES. I read somewhere on their website that they do not evaluate degrees with below 55% marks.
I'm very worried because I have low second division in my bachelors degree.
Low marks aren't a problem if the university is recognised. You must have passed the course by the university's standard.

forcanada

Star Member
Apr 8, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
15-01-2016
Med's Done....
25-01-2016
Passport Req..
15-06-2016
YamPower said:
Low marks aren't a problem if the university is recognised. You must have passed the course by the university's standard.
I hope you are right mate.

sejalrane

Aug 26, 2018
i have done my eca evaluation and got the below report:

1. Bachelor of Management Studies (3 years) - canadian equivalency is 4 years
2. Master of Management Studies (2 years) - canadian equivalency is Postgraduate diploma (one year)

is this evaluation right? has any one with Masters got the same result? please help