+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian Dad moving to Canada - need advice

crypticalz

Apr 21, 2015
Hello,
I am a Canadian citizen living outside of Canada (El Salvador), and lived 1 year in Vancouver in 2007 (i have my Social Insurance Card etc...). Now I am married and have 2 children ( 6 & 8). My wife and kids have a Canadian Tourist Visa however I want to travel, enter Canada and find a job asnd stay to live there.

I was wondering if I entrer British Columbia to get a job, is there a possibility for my kids to become citizens inside Canada (like a change of status in immmigration from Tourist to resident); or even if I apply internally for all 3 (wife and two kids), while they are in Canada and I have a full time employment already alligned (with a visitors stamp).

I would appreciate your comments and see what opportunities do I have.

Thank you!

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hello,
I am a Canadian citizen living outside of Canada (El Salvador), and lived 1 year in Vancouver in 2007 (i have my Social Insurance Card etc...). Now I am married and have 2 children ( 6 & 8). My wife and kids have a Canadian Tourist Visa however I want to travel, enter Canada and find a job asnd stay to live there.

I was wondering if I entrer British Columbia to get a job, is there a possibility for my kids to become citizens inside Canada (like a change of status in immmigration from Tourist to resident); or even if I apply internally for all 3 (wife and two kids), while they are in Canada and I have a full time employment already alligned (with a visitors stamp).

Thank you!
Not sure have understood your question entirely. You can look more detail in the forum here for general questions about family sponsorship:
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/forums/family-class-sponsorship.5/

Or govt of Canada site has all forms etc:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/family-sponsorship.html

First things first: you have to determine if your children are citizens (basically if you were citizen when they were born and you received your citizenship by being born in Canada or by natrualization; if you were born abroad of Canadian citizens, probably not.) [I assume they are not because they have tourist visas] If they are citizens, get them Canadian citizenship certificate and passports.

For the rest:
-you can return to Canada any time and start working.
-If the kids are not citizens, you sponsor your spouse and the children as her dependents. If they are citizens, you just sponsor her.
-you can either sponsor them before you return to Canada ('outland' sponsorship) and get a job, or after you arrive ('inland' sponsorship).
-If they arrive in Canada before becoming PRs, under either outland or inland process, spouse will not be able to work for most of process and health insurance is ... complicated - assume for now they will need private health insurance. (If the kids are citizens, no problem for them)
-They would 'change status' at the point the PR status is finalized, whether in Canada or not.

-Once the children become PRs, they can apply right away to get citizenship as children of Canadian citizen without meeting the residency requirement (1095 days living in Canada). Your spouse will ahve to apply for citizenship after fulfilling that and all the other conditions.

There are some more details and specifics, read the instructions and ask in that other forum here.

Jets13

Dec 12, 2016
Hello,

Thank you!
From your post history seems like you have been wanting to move for about 8 years now. How did you become a Canadian citizen? Were you born here? Did your parents move here, and you got PR along with them and then became a Canadian after? Were you born outside of Canada but your parents were Canadian, so you got citizenship that way?

crypticalz

Apr 21, 2015
From your post history seems like you have been wanting to move for about 8 years now. How did you become a Canadian citizen? Were you born here? Did your parents move here, and you got PR along with them and then became a Canadian after? Were you born outside of Canada but your parents were Canadian, so you got citizenship that way?
Hi, yes. It is a big decision and many may understand. I was born outside of Canada but my mom gave me the Canadian Citizenship and lived there for 1 year in 2007

Jets13

Dec 12, 2016
Hi, yes. It is a big decision and many may understand. I was born outside of Canada but my mom gave me the Canadian Citizenship and lived there for 1 year in 2007
Did your mom sponsor you for PR and then you became a citizen or you just got it automatically from your mom?

If you got it automatically from your mom then my understanding is that your kids cannot get it the same way. The rule is only one generation, which means your kids and along with your wife would need to be sponsored for PR via family class. I could be wrong maybe others can verify/clarify.

So if they can enter Canada on their tourist visa then you can apply inland while they are in Canada. If they cannot get in Canada you will have to apply outland sponsorship. It would not be straight to citizenship but first to permanent resident (PR). Not sure what actual times are like these days but on the website it says processing times are on average 14-16 months for these applications.

Last edited:
Reactions: crypticalz

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Did your mom sponsor you for PR and then you became a citizen or you just got it automatically from your mom?

If you got it automatically from your mom then my understanding is that your kids cannot get it the same way. The rule is only one generation, which means your kids and along with your wife would need to be sponsored for PR via family class. I could be wrong maybe others can verify/clarify.
That's correct - sounds like the OP is a citizen-by-descent, which means his children born abroad cannot get citizenship that way. He can sponsor them to become PRs (as described above) and they can thereafter apply to become citizens (right away, without fulfilling the residency obligation part). The children will be naturalized citizens at that point, and would be able to pass citizenship on (like any other naturalized citizen).

Last edited: