+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian Customs Inspection & Missing/ Stolen Goods

meldxb

Jan 22, 2012
I recently moved to Ontario, Canada from Dubai, U.A.E and had my goods shipped door to door via Executive Movers. The consolidated shipment (shared container) took 3 months to arrive and was cleared and delivered by a local agent (Royal Moving & Storage) in Canada. All 60 boxes were professionally packed and delivered however I was shocked to find out that several electronic items such my netbook, LED projector, portable DVD player, professional hair iron and playstation 3 accessories were stolen.

All goods were insured however the insurance company says that I did not report anything missing when the boxes were delivered home and that there was no itemized list of all goods. All personal effects were generalized by Executive Movers. Yes I signed the delivery report upon receiving all 60 boxes, however it took me 3 days to unpack and audit my personal effects and that is when I noticed the missing items. Only the boxes containing electronics were opened and resealed. Both cargo agents in Dubai and Canada deny any responsibility and maintain that the boxes were not tampered with. Royal Moving & Storage ended their responsibility when they delivered the boxes home and lay blame on Canada Customs.

I was wondering if anybody had a similar situation whereby goods were stolen during transit or if Canadian Customs steal valuables during inspection? I do not want to point fingers and pass judgement as I do not have any evidence. The fact is that several of my goods have been stolen and the Insurance company will try their best not to compensate.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Fortunately, I don't have such experience.

I also used door to door service from China to Vancouver, BC. Most of my boxes, which contained furniture parts, were opened and set up by the Canadian agent. And the remaining boxes, which contained household cleaning supplies and dineware, were left unopened. Nothing was missing. The professional hair kit and laptops were in my carry-on.

We had 80 boxes in two shipments with two companies. The Chinese agent were responsible for preparing an itemized inventory list of our household goods and personal effects inventory and you are suppose to verify and bring that list and other document to the CBSA for customs clearance.

Therefore, it is unreasonable to wrongfully accused Canadian customs for stealing your valuables during inspection. You should share the responsibility for not paying attention of this inventory list in the first place.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Sorry for the loss. It wasn't Canada Customs. It happened at some other point during the process.