+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian credit score

Black_Torch15

Nov 25, 2023
Hello!

Long story short, does immigration check your canadian credit score to let you go back into Canada again?

Was living in Canada as a student, had to leave for health issues back to the UK. While in Canada I had to go to the hospital a couple of times, thought I had insurance, but I didn't. Basically I had a huge bill from the hospital and I didn't know until I left Canada (health reasons as mentioned). So the debt ruined my credit score there in Canada, it got lowered.

Now I wanna go back to Canada and finish my school, so I was wondering if Canadian Immigration check my Canadian credit score to see whether or not grant me a Visa to go back?

I am a bit worried about this, I know it's not a criminal record or anything, just an unpaid bill, but I'm still worried my Visa gets rejected just because of that.

Thank you!

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello!

Long story short, does immigration check your canadian credit score to let you go back into Canada again?

Was living in Canada as a student, had to leave for health issues back to the UK. While in Canada I had to go to the hospital a couple of times, thought I had insurance, but I didn't. Basically I had a huge bill from the hospital and I didn't know until I left Canada (health reasons as mentioned). So the debt ruined my credit score there in Canada, it got lowered.

Now I wanna go back to Canada and finish my school, so I was wondering if Canadian Immigration check my Canadian credit score to see whether or not grant me a Visa to go back?

I am a bit worried about this, I know it's not a criminal record or anything, just an unpaid bill, but I'm still worried my Visa gets rejected just because of that.

Thank you!
Do you mean student visa? Btw, why don't you follow the previous advice which was just a week ago?

Reactions: iSaidGoodDay

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Hello!

Thank you!
Your debt to the province has probably been sent to the CRA for collections. Offset . They’ll see if you have any outstanding debt to the crown. I’d be taking care of your debt first.
it’s not your credit score , it’s your debt to the crown. Some provinces handoff debt such as this to the CRA for collections .

Black_Torch15

Nov 25, 2023
Your debt to the province has probably been sent to the CRA for collections. Offset . They’ll see if you have any outstanding debt to the crown. I’d be taking care of your debt first.
it’s not your credit score , it’s your debt to the crown. Some provinces handoff debt such as this to the CRA for collections .
But a debt with the hospital is not a criminal record or criminal offence, it's just credit score getting lower, that's it. It should have absolutely nothing to do with a person having the possibility to visit the country, it makes 0 sense.

I've been doing some research and it doesn't not impact, debt is no criminal record. Also immigration don't look into credit score because it has nothing to do with a visa process.

I wanted someone that was a lawyer to give me advise, not just some guessing about the matter.

"Oh you can't comeback to Canada... because you didn't pay your medical bill". Makes 0 sense.

I just needed some accurate and helpful, real advice. Not an anxiety attack induced advice.

And I still didn't manage to find someone that actually knows about the matter and about laws.

rcincanada2019

Jan 14, 2023
Ontario
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
App. Filed.......
03-07-2022
Nomination.....
30-03-2022
AOR Received.
03-11-2022
But a debt with the hospital is not a criminal record or criminal offence, it's just credit score getting lower, that's it. It should have absolutely nothing to do with a person having the possibility to visit the country, it makes 0 sense.

I've been doing some research and it doesn't not impact, debt is no criminal record. Also immigration don't look into credit score because it has nothing to do with a visa process.

I wanted someone that was a lawyer to give me advise, not just some guessing about the matter.

"Oh you can't comeback to Canada... because you didn't pay your medical bill". Makes 0 sense.

I just needed some accurate and helpful, real advice. Not an anxiety attack induced advice.

And I still didn't manage to find someone that actually knows about the matter and about laws.
Would suggest then to seek advise from certified lawyers and not from a free public forum...

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth

Then stop being so cheap and hire a lawyer .

Medical expenses are owed to the Province. The province sends that money to the CRA for collections. Aka the crown.
The IRCC has access to the CRA for outstanding amounts . Put two & two together bud .

https://www.tbs-sct.canada.ca/pol/doc-eng.aspx?id=32673

Has zero to do with your credit score

If an application has been refused based on the reason "Your application indicates that you have a debt to the crown", it typically means that the applicant has an outstanding debt owed to the government or a government agency. This could include unpaid taxes, fines, or other debts owed to a government agency

Last edited:

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017

BUT to get approval of your study/visitor visa, you need to show that you can fincially support your school/living/visit.
HOW do you show that with so much unpaid debt with the government? Or are you going to show that you have lots of fund but just unwilling to pay your debt?

Black_Torch15

Nov 25, 2023
BUT to get approval of your study/visitor visa, you need to show that you can fincially support your school/living/visit.
HOW do you show that with so much unpaid debt with the government? Or are you going to show that you have lots of fund but just unwilling to pay your debt?
Prove of funds is from the country you are coming from, not from a bank in Canada. The debt is Canadian.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Prove of funds is from the country you are coming from, not from a bank in Canada. The debt is Canadian.
So you are saying that you have the money but do not want to pay off debt with the government of Canada BUT still want to come and study here?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

There are no lawyers on this forum. So no legal opinions available here.

You would need to actually hire a lawyer to get a legal opinion.