+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian company requirements to maintain permanent residency working abroad

Bsahin88

Mar 6, 2018
Hello,

I work for a global airline company that also has offices in Canada. Each office is set up separately per province like an individual business and pays taxes to Canada. I was recently offered to transfer to Toronto but will need to travel abroad for work and training. The position will also qualify me for a permanent residency. I would like to know if the company fulfils Canadian business requirements so I don't lose time from my PR while traveling abroad.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Hello,

I work for a global airline company that also has offices in Canada. Each office is set up separately per province like an individual business and pays taxes to Canada. I was recently offered to transfer to Toronto but will need to travel abroad for work and training. The position will also qualify me for a permanent residency. I would like to know if the company fulfils Canadian business requirements so I don't lose time from my PR while traveling abroad.
Just to expand on what buletruck said if you were lucky enough to get to be PR and the company were a Canadian company then simply travelling out of the country would not count to maintain residency obligation. For any time out of the country to count you would need to a) work for a Canadian company not just one that has an office in Canada b) be assigned by said company for a foreign assignment out of the country, so business trips do not qualify.

Bsahin88

Mar 6, 2018
Just to expand on what buletruck said if you were lucky enough to get to be PR and the company were a Canadian company then simply travelling out of the country would not count to maintain residency obligation. For any time out of the country to count you would need to a) work for a Canadian company not just one that has an office in Canada b) be assigned by said company for a foreign assignment out of the country, so business trips do not qualify.

Thank you for your great feedback truly appreciate it. In regards to staying within Canada for 730 within a five year range to keep residency; does this overall allow me to renew my PR after 5 years is completed or can I directly apply for citizenship? I'm a bit confused between the 730 days within 5 years for pr and 1095 days within 5 years to gain citizenship.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thank you for your great feedback truly appreciate it. In regards to staying within Canada for 730 within a five year range to keep residency; does this overall allow me to renew my PR after 5 years is completed or can I directly apply for citizenship? I'm a bit confused between the 730 days within 5 years for pr and 1095 days within 5 years to gain citizenship.
Citizenship and PR residency requirement are completely separate. So yes - days spent in Canada can be counted towards both.