+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

canadian college for oil and petroleum engineering MS

sachin prince

Apr 27, 2013
hi everyone, i want to take up oil and petroleum engineering in canada and i wanna know which college has this course , cud anyone plz help me out in this???

BhaGs_07

Star Member
Nov 18, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19th May 2014
IELTS Request
Med's Done....
Pre Medical Done
VISA ISSUED...
10th June 2014
sachin prince said:
hi everyone, i want to take up oil and petroleum engineering in canada and i wanna know which college has this course , cud anyone plz help me put in this???
There are only 2 clgs ...NAIT and SAIT which provide Petroleum Engineering course both in Diploma and Bachelor
and few universities....U or Alberta , U of Calgary, U or Regina, u of Dalhousie where you can go for masters and Phd
but U of Alberta and U of Calgary are top universities for oil and gas field

BhaGs_07

Star Member
Nov 18, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19th May 2014
IELTS Request
Med's Done....
Pre Medical Done
VISA ISSUED...
10th June 2014
sachin prince said:
thnks a lot mate , and can u tell me wat scores do they expect in GRE in these univ's???
you dont need GRE for CANADA...you should have either IELTS or TOEFL...but in visa procedure they prefer IELTS so i suggest you to go for IELTS

and Minimum score required for IELTS is 7 bands overall ( above 6 bands in each module )

sachin prince

Apr 27, 2013
i just realised even u r hoping to do the same course in canada , u r my senior anyways, coz i ll have to aplly on 2014 fall!!!

BhaGs_07

Star Member
Nov 18, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19th May 2014
IELTS Request
Med's Done....
Pre Medical Done
VISA ISSUED...
10th June 2014
sachin prince said:
oh gr8 , so these r the sure shot univ's to apply rite? And is there any other requirement for international student???
if you are applying for September 2013 than you are too late, dead lines are already gone
check the universitiy websites for Deadlines ...generally deadlines get over in March for September for international students.

bdw, what is your profile ?

sachin prince

Apr 27, 2013
oh ya but i am applying only for 2014 sept fall!!!
i am doing ma BE in mechanical engineering !
yet to give ielts !!!
what kinda profile do i have to build to get thru ???

BhaGs_07

Star Member
Nov 18, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19th May 2014
IELTS Request
Med's Done....
Pre Medical Done
VISA ISSUED...
10th June 2014
sachin prince said:
yet to give ielts !!!
you should need above your GPA above 3.0/4.0
you need 3 very strong recommendation letters
IELST score
any work experience or internships certificates if you have done ?( if dont than do it in your last yr, u still have time...it helps if you dont have work experience )
any other extra courses you have done,
any research papers you have published in any journals
very good SOP and resume

arun_kumar

Mar 29, 2013
sachin prince said:
yet to give ielts !!!
He's asking about your gpa and other stuff buddy!!!

tiger007

Champion Member
sachin prince said:
hi everyone, i want to take up oil and petroleum engineering in canada and i wanna know which college has this course , cud anyone plz help me out in this???
Hi,

Most Canadian universities need atleast B grade or minimum 60% in final 2 years of a 4 years Bachelor's degree for students from India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, Nigeria etc. and an IELTS score of 6.5 overall (with no bands less than 6)(some may require IELTS score of overall 7) for being eligible to apply to Master degree programs. Canadian universities DO NOT require GRE. Some, universities like the university of Manitoba, Memorial university consider min. 55% in final 2 years as equivalent to B grade. However, meeting just the minimum requirements does not guarantee admission. The higher your B.E/B.Tech scores are, more your chances of getting admission (as it is among 1 of most important factor for getting admission).

You can pursue a course based master degree (M.Eng) OR a research oriented, thesis based MaSc. degree in petroleum engineering or closely related fields. The research based degrees are usually much more competitive, where one generally needs to show some knack for research (like published papers) and selected students usually get partial or full funding.

You can see general rankings of Canadian universities to get an overall idea.. as to which universities are reputed.
For example: http://www.university-list.net/canada/rank/univ-7007.htm
www.4icu.org/ca/

Here's the list of ALL recognized Canadian educational institutes eligible for OCWP+PGWP, listed according to province:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/institutions/participants.asp

You need to go through the university department websites, contact the university departments to know more such as course content, graduate degree options, deadlines, tuition fees, admission procedure etc. You will have to do the hard work to find the right type of programs of your desire and shortlist a list of say atleast 4-6 more universities, you may consider applying to.

The application submission date for Fall 2013 (Sept) start in most universities is already long over, and you should consider applying for 2014 Fall intake, for which usually the last date can be anywhere between Nov 1 2013 (for research based programs) to Feb 1 2014 (for course based programs).

Some of the universities offering Master degrees in petroleum engineering or closely related fields:

1. Univ. of Calgary: http://schulich.ucalgary.ca/chemical/graduate -- Well known university, in a province witnessing oil boom.

2. Memorial University: http://www.mun.ca/become/graduate/programs/engineering.php -- World class university, perhaps has the lowest tuition fees for international students, high probability of funding.

3. Dalhousie University: https://www.dal.ca/academics/graduate_programs/petroleum-engineering.html

4. Univ of Regina: http://www.urengineering.ca/programs/petroleum-systems-engineering -- Sask. has 1 of most student friendly immigration policies, direct SINP nomination after Master degree, no job offer required... provided you meet the eligibility criteria.

To know more in general about Petroleum Engineering:
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/-t46931.0.html

Hope it helps.

***All opinions expressed are purely personal, and pieces of information mentioned are to the best of my knowledge... You should consult other sources too.

rathijaiveer

Aug 15, 2013
MY OVERALL CGPA 5.9/10 AND HAVING 1.5 YEAR EXPERIANCE AND I WANT TO DO MS IN OIL & PETROLEUM ENGINEERING. PLZZZ GUIDE ME WHAT SHOULD I DO TO GET SUCCED... MY EMAIL ID IS rathi.jaiveer@yahoo.com
PLZZZ FRDS RPLY ME

BhaGs_07

Star Member
Nov 18, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19th May 2014
IELTS Request
Med's Done....
Pre Medical Done
VISA ISSUED...
10th June 2014
rathijaiveer said:
MY OVERALL CGPA 5.9/10 AND HAVING 1.5 YEAR EXPERIANCE AND I WANT TO DO MS IN OIL & PETROLEUM ENGINEERING. PLZZZ GUIDE ME WHAT SHOULD I DO TO GET SUCCED... MY EMAIL ID IS rathi.jaiveer @ yahoo.com
PLZZZ FRDS RPLY ME

dude, you need minimum 60% in you Bachelor ,if you want admission in Master degree.
In Alberta there are two universities which provide master degree in Petroleum engineering.
1. Uni of Alberta
2. Uni of Calgary
There are other uni too but not much reputed than these two like
Uni of Regina
Delhousie University

May 28, 2015
Hi,

I am about to receive my canadian PR and I want to pursue my Masters in Petroleum Engineering from University of Alberta (January Session 2016) but my concern is I have pursued my bachelors from Computer Science Engineering and have a work experience of approx 4.5 years with an IT firm.

Considering my under graduation and experience from a completely different field will my application be considered for admissions . If yes will my application be weak compared to others.

Regards,
Amrinder