+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian Citizenship & Tax Filing Requirements

shehpar

Jun 3, 2014
Canada
Hi,

I became PR back in Jun 2015 after initial landing and then return back to the home country. Then I moved permanently in Dec 2016. I am planning to apply for Citizenship in Jan 2020. I have a question regarding taxation requirements.

Do I need to wait until 2020 tax return (probably March/April 2020) before I sign the citizenship application or I can apply with the fact that I stayed in Canda for 1095 days?

What kind of document do I need to attach to show the residency proof?

Last edited:

jc94

Mar 14, 2016
Hi,

I became PR back in Jun 2015 after initial landing and then return back to the home country. Then I moved permanently in Dec 2016. I am planning to apply for Citizenship in Jan 2020. I have a question regarding taxation requirements.

Do I need to wait until 2020 tax return (probably March/April 2020) before I sign the citizenship application or I can apply with the fact that I stayed in Canda for 1095 days?

What kind of document do I need to attach to show the residency proof?
You can apply whenever you reach 1095 days, though some suggest have a small buffer especially if you'd traveled out of the country and have those days removed from the count.

If you apply before filing taxes, just tick not filed yet, just be sure to put 5 years history in there and the other bits that request it. Most of the form is based on 4 years, except the bits that aren't. Myself and several hundred people just on the sheet all applied here before March/April 2019. Some are even now citizens.

You just attach the calculator in the first instance. They will contact you if you need RQ (Residency Questionnaire) wanting proof of you being here, rent, mortgage, bank statements, whatever. Pray you don't get one. Most people don't.

Refer to the checklist and only include what they request. But be sure you include everything they request and have the correct stuff on the photos and all your application form completed, signed and dated.

Reactions: shehpar

shehpar

Jun 3, 2014
Canada
You can apply whenever you reach 1095 days, though some suggest have a small buffer especially if you'd traveled out of the country and have those days removed from the count.

If you apply before filing taxes, just tick not filed yet, just be sure to put 5 years history in there and the other bits that request it. Most of the form is based on 4 years, except the bits that aren't. Myself and several hundred people just on the sheet all applied here before March/April 2019. Some are even now citizens.

You just attach the calculator in the first instance. They will contact you if you need RQ (Residency Questionnaire) wanting proof of you being here, rent, mortgage, bank statements, whatever. Pray you don't get one. Most people don't.

Refer to the checklist and only include what they request. But be sure you include everything they request and have the correct stuff on the photos and all your application form completed, signed and dated.
Thanks for your detailed response. Just wondering, how long it took for you to apply and get the citizenship?

jc94

Mar 14, 2016
Thanks for your detailed response. Just wondering, how long it took for you to apply and get the citizenship?
I applied Jan 23rd this year and am still waiting ;) Latest update on my file was FP requested (and submitted) May 6th.

My knowledge, such as it is, is gleamed from posts here and a number of friends and colleagues who have gone through the process successfully. Mostly within 12 months, one took 18.

issteven

Jan 2, 2014
I applied Jan 23rd this year and am still waiting ;) Latest update on my file was FP requested (and submitted) May 6th.

My knowledge, such as it is, is gleamed from posts here and a number of friends and colleagues who have gone through the process successfully. Mostly within 12 months, one took 18.
which office are you at?