+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian Citizenship - Residence calculator help

Michael1423

May 12, 2015
Hello,
I want to apply for my Canadian Citizenship but am a little confused
I have had a conditional discharge, and had finished my probation successfully.

but when I type in my online residence calculator without saying i am on probation i am eligible.
When i type in that I have had probation i am not eligible intill 2018.

but I read this in canadian citizenship website:
time on probation as a result of a conditional discharge can count towards residence if the probation was completed successfully (i.e. you were not charged with a breach of probation or a failure to comply during that probation). This time does not have to be declared for the purposes of the residence calculator.

So when I do the residence calculator which I have to submit with my application. Do i have to put that I was on probation or not?
I am trying to get a job that requires canadian citizenship, I made a mistake once that i very much regret.
I just want to make sure so that They dont send back my application.

Michael1423

May 12, 2015
and it also says:
Only the 4 years preceding the date of your application are considered for calculating residence eligibility time spent serving a sentence outside of that four year period does not have to be declared.

cberger

Star Member
Mar 6, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I am no expert by any means and would encourage you to wait for some senior member's response. However, IMHO, I don't think you need to declare anything since it clearly states that. If you want you could call the call center and they may have some insight.

Michael1423

May 12, 2015
I have been calling the call center and an agent never picks up.
But i did make an appointment with an citizenship expert, I just need to make sure.

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
Michael1423 said:
I have been calling the call center and an agent never picks up.
But i did make an appointment with an citizenship expert, I just need to make sure.
call 1-888-242-2100 and press 4 and 0. If the system says that due to high call volume the call can't be transferred to an agent, then just hang up and call again and press 4 and then 0. You may have to repeat the steps 5-25 times and try until system puts you on hold to talk to an agent.

Michael1423

May 12, 2015
OK i will do that and if u could in ur opinion what does this mean to confirm

Only the four (4) years preceding the date of your application are considered for calculating residence eligibility. Time spent serving a sentence outside of that four-year period does not have to be declared.
And than it says the
Time on probation as a result of a conditional discharge can count towards residence if the probation was completed successfully (i.e. you were not charged with a breach of probation or a failure to comply during that probation). This time does not have to be declared for the purposes of the residence calculator.

so does that mean I still have to declare that i was on probation cause it was from 2014-2015

alphazip

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Michael1423 said:
OK i will do that and if u could in ur opinion what does this mean to confirm

Only the four (4) years preceding the date of your application are considered for calculating residence eligibility. Time spent serving a sentence outside of that four-year period does not have to be declared.
And than it says the
Time on probation as a result of a conditional discharge can count towards residence if the probation was completed successfully (i.e. you were not charged with a breach of probation or a failure to comply during that probation). This time does not have to be declared for the purposes of the residence calculator.

so does that mean I still have to declare that i was on probation cause it was from 2014-2015
If you are sure that you received a conditional discharge and successfully completed your probation, then you do not need to indicate that you were on probation on the Residence Calculator.

Michael1423

May 12, 2015
Ok than I would be good, but should I still get a letter signed by my former Probation officer saying that I had a conditional discharge and successfully completed it. because even on the Application it asks if I was on probation or not in the last for years.
Or would they have all the information about me?

alphazip

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Michael1423 said:
Ok than I would be good, but should I still get a letter signed by my former Probation officer saying that I had a conditional discharge and successfully completed it. because even on the Application it asks if I was on probation or not in the last for years.
Or would they have all the information about me?
In section 8A, you would check yes to being on probation, then give an explanation in the box below. The instructions state that you are to include court documents, if applicable. So, I would say that you should include any documents that show the details of the conditional discharge and successful completion of your probation.