+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian Citizenship Process Simplified

FOREIGNDREAMS

Oct 30, 2020
Surrey, Canada
Category........
FSW
Canadian Citizenship
A permanent resident of Canada, who has lived in Canada for a total of 3 years out of last 5 years and has also filed the required taxes, is eligible for Canadian citizenship. There are additional requirements of passing the citizenship test as well as proving the language abilities. In addition to this, the conditions are different for different categories of people:

• Permanent residents
  • Minors
  • Adopted Child
  • Fast Track Process for Canadian Armed Forces
  • Revive Citizenship
  • Spouse of Canadian citizen
Spouses of Canadian citizen have to follow the procedure for permanent residents to become Canadian citizen. They are not eligible for automatic citizenship. But, children and grandchildren can become citizen automatically depending upon various conditions. Also, permanent residents should have a valid status in Canada even if the PR card is expired.

Condition for Time spent in Canada:
The eligible candidates wishing to apply for Canadian citizenship must have spent 1095 days in Canada in the last 5 years.

• Day spent as temporary resident is counted as half day, with a maximum of 365 days.
  • Day spent as permanent resident is counted as full day.
  • Days spent on serving a sentence for a crime are not counted, with some exceptions.
  • Days spent in Canada after submission of Refugee claim till its approval is not counted.
The calculation tool is available here.

Conditions for Tax Filing:
Anyone wishing to apply for citizenship might need to file income tax for 3 years in the last 5 years.

Conditions for Language abilities:
Anyone between the age of 18-54 have to prove language abilities in either English or French at CLB level 4 or more, in listening and speaking.

The documents acceptable as a proof of language ability are:

• Documentary proof such as diploma, transcript, certificate for people who completed secondary or post-secondary education in either English or French, in or outside of Canada.
  • Proof of score in CELPIP-G, IELTS-G, TEF, TEFAQ, DALF, TCF, TCFQ for people who did not complete secondary or post-secondary education in either English or French, in or outside of Canada.
( More Details )

Conditions for Citizenship Test:
Anyone between the age of 18-54 have to appear for a test to check information on the following aspects of Canada. The test is held in both English and French, has 20 questions (Multiple choice and true/false) and is for 30 minutes. The passing marks are 15.

• History
  • Geography
  • Economy
  • Government
  • Laws
  • Symbols
Each person is given two attempts to pass test, otherwise they have to appear for a personal interview. If a person fails in all three attempts, then application is rejected and person has to re-apply.

Application process for Citizenship:
  1. Check your eligibility for citizenship.
  2. Select the appropriate forms as per your category from link.
  3. Pay fee online and include receipt with the application.
  4. Courier or mail the completed application with required documents within 90 days of completing the application, so that the application is received within 90 days of signing.
  5. Check status of application.
  6. Receive date for Citizenship test and interview.
  7. Appear for test.
  8. Appear for interview.
  9. Receive citizenship ceremony date.
  10. Take oath and get certificate and sing national anthem.
  11. Apply for Canadian passport at least 2 days after the ceremony.

FAQ:

1. Can I apply for citizenship, if there is immigration or a fraud case against me?
No, you are not eligible.

1. Can I apply for citizenship, if there is a removal order against me?

1. Can I apply for citizenship, if I have not fulfilled PR status conditions?

1. My PR card is expired, can I apply for citizenship?
Yes, you can apply for citizenship even with an expired PR card.

1. Can I pay the fee offline?
No, the citizenship fee has to be paid online.

1. Can I leave Canada after submitting citizenship application?
Yes, you can leave Canada with these conditions.

1. What happens if I do not attend the test and interview?
In case, someone is not able to attend the citizenship test and interview, then they have to inform the authorities, otherwise their application will not be processed further.

1. How much is the fee for citizenship application?
The details about citizenship related fee is available on this link.

1. Can I have dual citizenship of Canada?
Canada allows one to have citizenship from another country along with Canadian, but the other country may or may not allow it.

1. How much time does it take to get Canadian citizenship?
The processing time as in 2020 is around 12 months.