+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian citizenship: help for my boy

lovely1980

Feb 22, 2017
Hi everyone I am new to this site and need help.
I am from Netherlands and is having PR in Canada. We need Canadian citizenship and is facing an issue related to my boy. He is 10 years old and the issue is that I am not his biological mother. what can I do in this situation?

Skitz

Star Member
Mar 31, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27/06/2016
AOR Received.
19/07/2016
File Transfer...
23/08/2016
Interview........
None
Passport Req..
DM 22nd Jan/ PPR 23rd Jan 2017
VISA ISSUED...
PPR sent 25th Jan/Jan 31st
lovely1980 said:
I am from Netherlands and is having PR in Canada. We need Canadian citizenship and is facing an issue related to my boy. He is 10 years old and the issue is that I am not his biological mother. what can I do in this situation?
Sorry, don't quite understand what the issue you are facing is -- as you haven't explained it clearly here.

As a PR and if you are living in Canada, you or his parent who is a PR can apply for his PR as a dependent.

If one of his parent's is a Canadian citizen, he can apply for Canadian citizenship directly.

Pitt1234

Star Member
Sep 28, 2016
1. You don't have to be a biological mother to sponsor your kid. As long as you are legally his mother, you can sponsor him.
2. As a PR you need to be present "inside" Canada to sponsor your kid. Canadian citizens, however, don't have that requirement.
3. There still may be other complexities. For example, if the kid was still your son while you applied for your (or your spouse's) PR but missed mentioning him, then he is ineligible for sponsorship. I guess we won't know what help you need until you tell what the real problem is.

lovely1980 said:

lovely1980

Feb 22, 2017
While applying for PR we forgot to mention about him. Last month I read an article from an online portal that his PR application will be rejected and we can't sponsor him.

lovely1980

Feb 22, 2017
Pitt1234 said:
1. You don't have to be a biological mother to sponsor your kid. As long as you are legally his mother, you can sponsor him.
2. As a PR you need to be present "inside" Canada to sponsor your kid. Canadian citizens, however, don't have that requirement.
3. There still may be other complexities. For example, if the kid was still your son while you applied for your (or your spouse's) PR but missed mentioning him, then he is ineligible for sponsorship. I guess we won't know what help you need until you tell what the real problem is.

Hi, sorry for the late reply, Here we are facing a similar problem as you said. Hope I am in the right place to get help.
What can we do in situations like these? Here I found an exciting site for this
maxberger.ca/immigration-services/permanent-residence/humanitarian-and-compassionate-application/. It says that we can even use H & C method to get PR even if we are not eligible for other direct methods. Please advise me.
Thank you very much.

Aquakitty

VIP Member
Mar 21, 2011
BC
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
04-03-2015
AOR Received.
14-04-2015 - SA Received: 20-04-2015
Med's Done....
28-01-2015 Upfront
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
25-06-2015
LANDED..........
11-07-2015
lovely1980 said:
While applying for PR we forgot to mention about him. Last month I read an article from an online portal that his PR application will be rejected and we can't sponsor him.
You "forgot" to mention your kid? Is it your spouse's kid? Who has custody of him?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
lovely1980 said:
Hi, sorry for the late reply, Here we are facing a similar problem as you said. Hope I am in the right place to get help.
What can we do in situations like these? Here I found an exciting site for this
maxberger.ca/immigration-services/permanent-residence/humanitarian-and-compassionate-application/. It says that we can even use H & C method to get PR even if we are not eligible for other direct methods. Please advise me.
Thank you very much.
You can try, however there's still a very high chance of refusal. Failing to mention a child in a PR application is a very serious matter and permanently prevents you from sponsoring that child at a later date. H&C is unlikely to be successful.