+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian Citizenship for Newborn Outside Canada

Autumnal

Nov 6, 2012
I am a Canadian citizen residing in the US, where I also have citizenship. I gave birth to my baby this month. He is a US citizen and I would like to apply for recognition of his Canadian citizenship as soon as possible. The process isn't entirely clear to me and I want to make sure I have this right.

1. Do I use the "Application for a Citizenship Certification" to confirm his status? (Versus a certificate of birth abroad like the US has for citizens born abroad)
2. How should I handle two pieces of data that are likely to change?
a. Height - he is growing.
b. Eye colour - as a newborn, this will possibly change. I don't want to wait until his eye colour stabilizes to apply for his citizenship because we might move back to Canada for a job prospect.

I've scoured the Citizenship and Immigration Canada website for a conclusive answer, without luck.
* Application for Citizenship Certificate
* App Instruction Page

Thanks for your help!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Autumnal said:
1. Do I use the "Application for a Citizenship Certification" to confirm his status? (Versus a certificate of birth abroad like the US has for citizens born abroad)
2. How should I handle two pieces of data that are likely to change?
a. Height - he is growing.
b. Eye colour - as a newborn, this will possibly change. I don't want to wait until his eye colour stabilizes to apply for his citizenship because we might move back to Canada for a job prospect.
1. Yes, that's the right one.

2. CIC will understand that a newborn changes every day, so I wouldn't worry too much, just put his current height and eye colour. If the eye colour changes, then you can address that later on if needed.

Autumnal

Nov 6, 2012
Thanks, I appreciate the swift response! I was worried that I might put down blue, and if the eyes changed to brown or green, there might be a problem. :)