+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian Citizenship and Family Sponsorship (Dependent Child INSIDE Canada)

SaraDenise

Jan 21, 2013
Husband is PR as of 1987 but only got PR in May 2009 when he returned from Portugal after applying for PR Crad under Humanitarian and Compassionate Grounds.

Is he able to apply for Canadian Citizenship now? When he applies and if he is accepted, will our 2 children who were born in Portugal become canadian citizens also? Or should we apply for their sponsorship? They are currently living with us already in Canada since last month.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

SaraDenise said:
Husband is PR as of 1987 but only got PR in May 2009 when he returned from Portugal after applying for PR Crad under Humanitarian and Compassionate Grounds.

Is he able to apply for Canadian Citizenship now? When he applies and if he is accepted, will our 2 children who were born in Portugal become canadian citizens also? Or should we apply for their sponsorship? They are currently living with us already in Canada since last month.
1. If he has resided in Canada for 3 years in the 4 years from the date he signs the citizenship application.
2. They have to be sponsored. They can't be included in his citizenship application as they are not PRs.

SaraDenise

Jan 21, 2013
So is sponsorship the only way to go? How can we apply if they're in canada living with us? There seems to only be sponsorship for dependent children from outside canada

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You can apply for the children through the visa office responsible for Portugal even though they are currently in Canada.

SaraDenise

Jan 21, 2013
But don't all new Family Class applications have to be mailed to the Case Processing Centre in Mississauga, Ontario, Canada if you're supposedly outside of Canada?

And when it says that in our application, we must select the visa office where our application will be processed, what visa office should we mention?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
SaraDenise said:
But don't all new Family Class applications have to be mailed to the Case Processing Centre in Mississauga, Ontario, Canada if you're supposedly outside of Canada?

And when it says that in our application, we must select the visa office where our application will be processed, what visa office should we mention?
Yes, outland applications are always sent to Mississauga initially and then go to the visa office where they will be processed. For Portugal, you pick Paris, see http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/offices/apply-where.asp#p

SaraDenise

Jan 21, 2013
I'm filling out the application form : Application for Permanent Residence From Within Canada – Spouse or Common-Law Partner in Canada Class (IMM 5289)

because it says: The application for permanent residence packages are different depending on whether your relatives live inside or outside Canada. Be sure to choose the correct application package.

If your spouse, partner or accompanying dependent child lives with you in Canada, use the Application for Permanent Residence in Canada—Spouse or Common-law Partner.

or should i use this one: If your spouse, partner or dependent child lives outside Canada, use the Application to Sponsor a Member of the Family Class (FC).

????

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
SaraDenise said:
I'm filling out the application form : Application for Permanent Residence From Within Canada – Spouse or Common-Law Partner in Canada Class (IMM 5289)

because it says: The application for permanent residence packages are different depending on whether your relatives live inside or outside Canada. Be sure to choose the correct application package.

If your spouse, partner or accompanying dependent child lives with you in Canada, use the Application for Permanent Residence in Canada—Spouse or Common-law Partner.

or should i use this one: If your spouse, partner or dependent child lives outside Canada, use the Application to Sponsor a Member of the Family Class (FC).

????
Are you also being sponsored by your husband for PR? If you are, then you can include your children on your application. If you are not, just the kids, then you must pick the forms for living outside Canada.

SaraDenise

Jan 21, 2013
Thanks Leon.

I won't be sponsored because my status is already PR. Everything with me is OK. Now I'm just hoping we won't have any problems with the application.