+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian Citizen with Nothing to Show For It

hbui1993

Jun 10, 2018
Hi all,

I’m currently at a roadblock right now. My Dad immigrated to Canada in 1990 as a Stateless person with my mom and my sister. In 1995, they received their Canadian Citizenship. However, since then, my parents separated and now my Dad has lost all identification documents. I was able to recover his Record of Landing although it’s in terrible shape. And of course, I can’t have his ID’s replaced without having some form of other primary ID.. any suggestions on where I can go from here?

NewUser2018

Jun 15, 2017
1.Apply Health Card + Provincial ID same time at Service Quebec landed document as proof of initial ID.

2.Apply for Replacement of copy of COPR + Citizenship Certificate replacement same time. Provincial ID and Healthcard accepted for both applications.

3.He can apply for Passport if he wants.

Last edited:

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi all,

I’m currently at a roadblock right now. My Dad immigrated to Canada in 1990 as a Stateless person with my mom and my sister. In 1995, they received their Canadian Citizenship. However, since then, my parents separated and now my Dad has lost all identification documents. I was able to recover his Record of Landing although it’s in terrible shape. And of course, I can’t have his ID’s replaced without having some form of other primary ID.. any suggestions on where I can go from here?
Roadblock for what? What exactly are you trying to do? Is your father inside Canada and needs ID? Is he living outside of Canada and wants to return? Or are you wanting to apply for proof of citizenship for yourself based on him?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
first thing is your father to get provincial ID as soon as possible, it cost around $39 or even drivers license class G renewed if he had one. Most community agencies and community legal clinics apply for him free of charge.

it's good you have record of landing even in terrible shape make sure you laminate to prevent further deterioration, I guess Service Canada can replace for him free of charge.

then from there he can apply for Copy COPR, when he gets Provincial ID or Drivers license with Copy of CopR he can apply replacement of Citizenship Certificate and finally passport.

step by step, it will take few months but with and you might need to cover some costs for him like Copy Of COPR and certificate of citizenship replacement, agencies dont cover and follow up every step since your father seems don't take of his stuff seriously.

STEP 1: he must get provincial id with record of landing document even in terrible shape it's fine with health card starting tomorrow at agencies like service ontario.

Good Luck.
Lamination renders the Record of Landing invalid.

hbui1993

Jun 10, 2018
Roadblock for what? What exactly are you trying to do? Is your father inside Canada and needs ID? Is he living outside of Canada and wants to return? Or are you wanting to apply for proof of citizenship for yourself based on him?
Basically my father moved from Montreal to British Columbia this past year. He was able to board the flight with his old expired passport and the Quebec Health Card. However, he has since lost those forms of identification (someone threw it away by accident). I just flew from Toronto to BC to try to help him and figure out what his options were. I contacted ICBC and they told me I would be able to get him a paperless identification by getting a letter from his bank confirming his identity. When I got the letter and went to the ICBC office, however, they said they could not help me since he was out of British Columbia for more than three years (even though your drivers license and personal health care number does not change in BC once you have it; he lived there from 2008 - 2012). They required that I presented at least his citizenship but I cannot apply for proof of citizenship until I have two acceptable photocopies of identification.. including one with his picture.

Reactions: zardoz

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
first thing is your father to get provincial ID as soon as possible, it cost around $39 or even drivers license class G renewed if he had one. Most community agencies and community legal clinics apply for him free of charge.

it's good you have record of landing even in terrible shape make sure you laminate to prevent further deterioration, I guess Service Canada can replace for him free of charge.

then from there he can apply for Copy COPR, when he gets Provincial ID or Drivers license with Copy of CopR he can apply replacement of Citizenship Certificate and finally passport.

step by step, it will take few months but with and you might need to cover some costs for him like Copy Of COPR and certificate of citizenship replacement, agencies dont cover and follow up every step since your father seems don't take of his stuff seriously.

STEP 1: he must get provincial id with record of landing document even in terrible shape it's fine with health card starting tomorrow at agencies like service ontario.

Good Luck.
Never, ever, ever laminate official documents like the Record of Landing or the Confirmation of Permanent Residence. I was in the Kitchener IRCC office recently and they very explicitly stated that you must never do this. They can not be replaced.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Basically my father moved from Montreal to British Columbia this past year. He was able to board the flight with his old expired passport and the Quebec Health Card. However, he has since lost those forms of identification (someone threw it away by accident). I just flew from Toronto to BC to try to help him and figure out what his options were. I contacted ICBC and they told me I would be able to get him a paperless identification by getting a letter from his bank confirming his identity. When I got the letter and went to the ICBC office, however, they said they could not help me since he was out of British Columbia for more than three years (even though your drivers license and personal health care number does not change in BC once you have it; he lived there from 2008 - 2012). They required that I presented at least his citizenship but I cannot apply for proof of citizenship until I have two acceptable photocopies of identification.. including one with his picture.
Easiest thing to do is probably just apply for a replacement of his Quebec healthcard if he has someone's address to use. Once he has that photo ID, he can sort everything else out and keep his documents in working order going forward.

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
Worse case scenario, you may need to attest to his identity in front of a judge or something. Once you get it worked out, make copies of all his IDs and vital documents and keep them safe yourself.