+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian citizen trying to get back to Canada. No idea how to go about it.

ffitl11

Apr 16, 2014
I am a Canadian citizen trying to get back to Canada, but I have absolutely no idea how to do it. I apologize in advance if this seems slightly or even completely off-topic, but there aren't many other places I know of to ask for advice in my particular situation.

So, basically, long story short, my brother and I (early 20s) are currently living overseas with our parents in a third world country we're not too fond of. We moved here along with our parents nearly two years ago when they sold our home. I don't have any credit as I've never worked a day in my life (I have extremely crippling social anxiety which kept me from leaving the house) and my brother's credit is ruined from being unable to pay his and our parent's bills.

Although it isn't THAT much, my brother and I have enough money to purchase plane tickets and get settled into an apartment. So far, we have posted "Wanted" ads on Craigslist for apartments in the city we used to live in (Edmonton,) but we haven't had any luck as of yet. I know how difficult it can be to find an available apartment with a good salary, so I can't even begin to imagine how difficult it is to find an apartment when you have terrible credit and no work history.

So, anyway, I guess my question would be: what are our options? What's the best way to go about this? Should we just keep posting Wanted ads on Craigslist and other websites over and over again until we find something? Since money isn't the issue and all we really need is some guidance, would it be of any help to contact the local consulate/embassy? I know they're not miracle workers, but I was wondering if they would be able to assist us in finding a place and maybe even getting us back on track.

I'm looking forward to hearing your guys' advice, and if someone knows of a more appropriate forum for me to post in, I would like to hear it. Thanks.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Since you have a Canadian passport and money to buy plane tickets, nothing is stopping you from getting back to Canada.

As for housing, many people (especially international students and new immigrants who don't have credit history) managed to get rented condos and apartments. As far as credit history is required by some landlords/agencies, I know a couple of people having their friends and relatives to act as their guarantors.