+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian citizen opening a bank account from overseas

cristib

Aug 3, 2021
Hi,
here is my situation: I am a Canadian citizen who left Canada about 20 years. Now I want to open a Canadian bank account from overseas (Europe) before I return and transfer in money every month. I do know each bank have a newcomer account, but I do not qualify as a newcomer. I want to actually have a reqular chequing account that I can use however I want. I do not want to have my funds blocked for one year, until I arrive, since I do not know exactly when I will be back. Not to mention there is a very slight possibility that my wife PR visa will denied (no hard proof of intent to return), in which case I want to have my money back without having to travel to Canada.
Do you think is possible? Is here somebody who did something similar?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hi,
here is my situation: I am a Canadian citizen who left Canada about 20 years. Now I want to open a Canadian bank account from overseas (Europe) before I return and transfer in money every month. I do know each bank have a newcomer account, but I do not qualify as a newcomer. I want to actually have a reqular chequing account that I can use however I want. I do not want to have my funds blocked for one year, until I arrive, since I do not know exactly when I will be back. Not to mention there is a very slight possibility that my wife PR visa will denied (no hard proof of intent to return), in which case I want to have my money back without having to travel to Canada.
Have you actually tried contacting a bank and asking and explaining? Eg "I will be moving to this neighbourhood in March and need to open an account."

And a suggestion, I have had more luck from abroad dealing with branch managers or branch staff than with the massive call centers. Simply put, I think their incentives are to work with you.

But caveat, I know this has all become much more painful and complicated over the years with changes in law and tax stuff.

Failing that, I'd make a trip to Canada, establish an address, and open an account in person.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,
Since the other poster did not address how to get money back without having travel to Canada, I will explain how you can do so as follows:

1) Using internet banking such as HSBC Globalview transfer between your accounts in Europe and Canada.
2) Contact your bank manager or call centre by phone & email

cristib

Aug 3, 2021
I did actually call and managed to speak to somebody from TD. Seems that even in the best scenario If I open an account and send money the account will be locked until I come in person and they verify my identity. Imagine that if my wife's PR will not be approved, I would need to fly there to unlock my account and get my money back. At Scotiabank it was an estimated 60 minute time to answer. I would assume that pretty much all banks have these policies and would not bend their rules just for me.
Sending money is the easiest part, I would use wise to do also conversion from EUR, at the same time. For now, I sit tight and wait. Initially, I wanted to used the Revolut to change money monthly in CAD and eventually deposit them in Canada, but is not there anymore.
Thank you for your replies.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Seems that even in the best scenario If I open an account and send money the account will be locked until I come in person and they verify my identity. Imagine that if my wife's PR will not be approved, I would need to fly there to unlock my account and get my money back.
Unless there is something odd about your case, I would not plan on the likelihood of it being denied. And while travel's harder right now, getting to Canada for a trip to verify the identity shouldn't be that hard. (May be other useful things you can do to shore up your intent-to-return case, too).

If the primary reason you want the Canadian account is to show for your application - you could look at offshore banking solutions or bank with foreign banks that have Canadian subsidiaries (or Canadian banks abroad) and show this as your plan to be able to transfer funds to Canada when you move. (Although in reality transferring between the same bank in different countries is often about as difficult as between two different banks - as all those banks in different countries are different legal entities, etc. But it might be at least a step in the right direction for IRCC to see you are planning.)

And frankly - even an email from branch manager in Ottawa saying "good to talk to you, we're looking forward to your business when you arrive, I'll set up your accounts as soon as I can see your physical passport" may be better than having no evidence at all.

cristib

Aug 3, 2021
Indeed, the primary reason is to show some kind of proof I plan to return to Canada. Secondary, I will need to have an account anyway.
My case is fine, but I don't have any hard evidence that I will return to Canada (no airline tickets, no job offer, no lease of apartment, no letter of resignation - and I saw quite a few postings where people were asked for this on really short term, BEFORE they get the PR approved. I just can't leave my family and my job to get these without any guarantee, and even so, it's unreasonable. We all go (family) or none.
I will see if I can get some kind of communication proof.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
My case is fine, but I don't have any hard evidence that I will return to Canada (no airline tickets, no job offer, no lease of apartment, no letter of resignation - and I saw quite a few postings where people were asked for this on really short term, BEFORE they get the PR approved. I just can't leave my family and my job to get these without any guarantee, and even so, it's unreasonable. We all go (family) or none.
Hard evidence is more difficult of course.
-These cases where people were asked for this info in short term - I've seen some of them too - the emails asked for evidence and listed those specific things as examples.
-You can prepare a fair amount of evidence - granted, softer - by actually preparing. Preps for things like school for children, job searches, real estate searches, preps for professional (re)qualifications, even social things (sports, church, you name it) will still be evidence you are taking it seriously. (For those with kids I'd say preps for things kids need are really obvious and things you'll need to do anyway).

Hard evidence is better than soft evidence is better than none. I wouldn't get overly hung up on specifics like bank accounts.

But - if you've been out of Canada a long time, a visit alone or with spouse or family or to take care of administrative matters might be a good idea. One case I recall had someone who hadn't even been to canada in seven or eight years or something...

I was out of Canada a long time but we had frequent visits.

cristib

Aug 3, 2021
I didn't know they are so strict on this proof of return. Why would somebody invest time and money to gather all the documents (they are from 3 countries), translate them, prepare, pay taxes, only to give up? Sure, it might happen, but it's probably unusual.
Unfortunately, I found this website after I mailed my application. So I am afraid there are very good chances they will ask me specific hard proof of evidence, such us letter of resignation from current job, new job offer in Canada, rental agreement, none that I'll be able to provide, not now, not later. Being separated from family long enough time to find a job in Canada is not an option. All I can do is gather a lot of paper trail with my preparation.
I have been out of Canada for 19 years.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I didn't know they are so strict on this proof of return. Why would somebody invest time and money to gather all the documents (they are from 3 countries), translate them, prepare, pay taxes, only to give up? Sure, it might happen, but it's probably unusual.
"Usual" or common enough that it was considered an issue. From a lot of countries, Canadian PR status makes travel easier, and apparently plenty did want to have the back-up option without actually moving. (There were, I think, related issues with how residency status was maintained in the past). If you look at it from that light - cheap compared to having no options.

Anyway, it is what it is.

Unfortunately, I found this website after I mailed my application. So I am afraid there are very good chances they will ask me specific hard proof of evidence, such us letter of resignation from current job, new job offer in Canada, rental agreement, none that I'll be able to provide, not now, not later. Being separated from family long enough time to find a job in Canada is not an option. All I can do is gather a lot of paper trail with my preparation.
Again, from what I've seen, the letter from IRCC that asks for more info - that not all get - gives examples that are harder-type evidence. But I believe it's a mistake to interpret that they are requiring that specific info and that only that specific info will be sufficient.

At any rate, prepare what you can - the relatively few cases I've heard of outright refusal seemed to have very little prep done (and close to none between time of submission and the request). (One started rethinking moving after refusal because realised ... it's actually complicated.)

And fortunately you have time to have preps done. You do what you can do.

I have been out of Canada for 19 years.
If you mean you have been out of Canada and not spent any time in Canada in all those years, they might indeed be less convinced or want to see more. Some visit frequently even while based abroad. This is why eg even you visiting may be worthwhile (and as part of those documented preps).

Reactions: YVR123

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If the primary reason you want the Canadian account is to show for your application - you could look at offshore banking solutions or bank with foreign banks that have Canadian subsidiaries (or Canadian banks abroad) and show this as your plan to be able to transfer funds to Canada when you move. (Although in reality transferring between the same bank in different countries is often about as difficult as between two different banks - as all those banks in different countries are different legal entities, etc. But it might be at least a step in the right direction for IRCC to see you are planning.)
With internet banking, it's very easy to do the funds transfer between the same bank in different countries (as seen in HSBC Global transfer) as well as between two different bank in Canada (using something like interac etransfer).

cristib

Aug 3, 2021
Let's assume I visit Canada, and open a bank account, and eventually get a driver's license (the old one expired back in 2007). Wouldn't that be a misrepresentation, if not fraud, saying that I have a Canadian address, when in fact I live in Europe?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Let's assume I visit Canada, and open a bank account, and eventually get a driver's license (the old one expired back in 2007). Wouldn't that be a misrepresentation, if not fraud, saying that I have a Canadian address, when in fact I live in Europe?
Misrepresentation to whom? To whom are you presenting false information? I'm not suggesting you do so. Context matters, and in some contexts, saying you are abroad and have a local mailing address is perfectly fine. You'll have to check in each case whether there are some specific residency requirements.