Shaulib

Jan 10, 2018
Israel
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Tel Aviv
Hello,
I'm a Canadian citizen from descent, and I have never lived in Canada.
I'm in the process of sponsoring my spouse and we are planing to move to Canada (Toronto) in June.
I'm having trouble finding information for people in my situation (Canadian citizens moving to Canada for the first time).

Things I know:
1 - Health coverage. I need to buy private health (travel) coverage until the 3 months waiting period for OHIP is over)
2 - Goods deceleration when landing.
3 - Getting a SIN from a service canada center, then I can open a bank account etc.

Anything else I'm missing?

Question about SIN:
Since I don't have SIN, I need to go to a service Canada center and get one. For that I need to present a citizenship certification.
The citizenship certification I have is a 35 year old citizenship certification card with a picture of myself as a baby.
Will that be enough or do I need to apply for a new citizenship certification? The process time for proof of citizenship from abroad is 8-9 months, and we are hoping to move to Canada earlier.

Thanks in advance!

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Ok
I just assumed when you mentioned that all you had was a 35 year old citizenship certificate with a picture of yourself as a baby, that was all the documentation you had

Shaulib

Jan 10, 2018
Israel
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Tel Aviv
Ok
I just assumed when you mentioned that all you had was a 35 year old citizenship certificate with a picture of yourself as a baby, that was all the documentation you had
Ah I see, I may haven't been too clear, sorry.
I do have a Canadian passport.

The issue is with getting a SIN from Service Canada. They need a citizenship certificate and I don't see that they accept passports, that's why I was asking if the 35 yo certificate is enough.

Reactions: scorph

scorph

Aug 17, 2017
Abbotsford BC
Yo

The issue is with getting a SIN from Service Canada. They need a citizenship certificate and I don't see that they accept passports, that's why I was asking if the 35 yo certificate is enough.
Your Canadian passport is more than enough as a proof of your citizenship.
I have no doubt you will be good to secure your SIN and Provincial Health number!
Welcome home

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12

Your best bet is to call Service Canada.

If you need to apply for a new certificate, you can request urgent processing on the basis that you need a SIN. No guarantees they will accept that but they might.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Yo

Your Canadian passport is more than enough as a proof of your citizenship.
I have no doubt you will be good to secure your SIN and Provincial Health number!
Welcome home
Service Canada does not accept a Canadian passport.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Your best bet is to call Service Canada.

If you need to apply for a new certificate, you can request urgent processing on the basis that you need a SIN. No guarantees they will accept that but they might.
He probably don't need to apply for a new certificate. He can just use his baby picture certificate card.

alphazip

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello,
I'm in the process of sponsoring my spouse and we are planing to move to Canada (Toronto) in June.
I'm having trouble finding information for people in my situation (Canadian citizens moving to Canada for the first time).

Things I know:
1 - Health coverage. I need to buy private health (travel) coverage until the 3 months waiting period for OHIP is over)
3 - Getting a SIN from a service canada center, then I can open a bank account etc.

Question about SIN:
Since I don't have SIN, I need to go to a service Canada center and get one. For that I need to present a citizenship certification.
The citizenship certification I have is a 35 year old citizenship certification card with a picture of myself as a baby.
Will that be enough or do I need to apply for a new citizenship certification? The process time for proof of citizenship from abroad is 8-9 months, and we are hoping to move to Canada earlier.

Thanks in advance!
You can apply for a SIN from abroad (https://www.canada.ca/en/employment-social-development/services/sin/apply.html), but you would have to mail in your citizenship certificate, which you may not care to do.

Citizenship certificates never expire, so there should be no reason why you can't use yours, though it has a photo of you as a baby.

I'm also a citizen by descent who moved to Canada, though the distance from my "foreign" house to my new one is less than 40 miles.

What I discovered is that a SIN isn't as essential as I originally thought. I wasn't even asked for it when I opened a bank account, though things may have changed. Of course, it is required to get a job and to file your taxes.

Last edited:

McCoy 101

Sep 23, 2019
Hello,

Things I know:

Question about SIN:

Thanks in advance!

Hi Shaulib,

I've been reading through this post and I think I am in the same position as you.

I have my Canadian citizenship through my mother who was born there. (Baby faced me on an old card, again the same as you!)

I also have a Canadian passport so I'm hoping that the process is as simple as; flying over, getting a SIN, a job and a place to stay.

The potential issue lies with my partner... we are not married but we want to immigrate together.

She'll be a fully qualified and registered nurse by the time we move which I'm sure must be a desirable job for moving to Canada?

How easy is the sponsorship process? I heard they may be an issue if we are over 30 when we make the move?

I'm looking for some guidance on the process please if you have some spare time! The immigration website has so much information but seems to be completely focussed on non-citizens!

Many thanks!
M

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi Shaulib,

I've been reading through this post and I think I am in the same position as you.

I have my Canadian citizenship through my mother who was born there. (Baby faced me on an old card, again the same as you!)

I also have a Canadian passport so I'm hoping that the process is as simple as; flying over, getting a SIN, a job and a place to stay.

The potential issue lies with my partner... we are not married but we want to immigrate together.

She'll be a fully qualified and registered nurse by the time we move which I'm sure must be a desirable job for moving to Canada?

How easy is the sponsorship process? I heard they may be an issue if we are over 30 when we make the move?

I'm looking for some guidance on the process please if you have some spare time! The immigration website has so much information but seems to be completely focussed on non-citizens!

Many thanks!
M
Have you lived together continuously for at least one year? If so, you are common-law and can sponsor her.

Her job is irrelevant to a spousal sponsorship app.

It is fairly straightforward but there is a lot of paperwork and documentation required and the posted processing time is one year.

Being over 30 is irrelevant.

Not sure where you are looking at the website but there is a whole section devoted to sponsorship of family members by Canadian citizens/PRs.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-5289-sponsor-your-spouse-common-law-partner-conjugal-partner-dependent-child-complete-guide.html

Reactions: McCoy 101

McCoy 101

Sep 23, 2019
Have you lived together continuously for at least one year? If so, you are common-law and can sponsor her.

Her job is irrelevant to a spousal sponsorship app.

It is fairly straightforward but there is a lot of paperwork and documentation required and the posted processing time is one year.

Being over 30 is irrelevant.

Not sure where you are looking at the website but there is a whole section devoted to sponsorship of family members by Canadian citizens/PRs.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-5289-sponsor-your-spouse-common-law-partner-conjugal-partner-dependent-child-complete-guide.html
Hi Canuck,

Thanks for your help.

Yes we've lived together for 2 years already.

I was trying to see what I needed to do myself before immigrating but it seems I can start the sponsorship process without having to be resident in Canada already. As long as I can prove that I will be during the time of the sponsorship.

Do you know if I will be able to sponsor my common-law partner's sister? - Can I do it at the same time?

Thanks and regards,
M

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi Canuck,

Thanks for your help.

Yes we've lived together for 2 years already.

I was trying to see what I needed to do myself before immigrating but it seems I can start the sponsorship process without having to be resident in Canada already. As long as I can prove that I will be during the time of the sponsorship.

Do you know if I will be able to sponsor my common-law partner's sister? - Can I do it at the same time?

Thanks and regards,
M
No, you can't sponsor her sister.