+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian citizen moving back to Canada after 25 years

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
In short there is no such government program.

In general, the relationship between a government and a citizen goes two ways. The citizen contributes taxes and in return the government provides limited assistance if the person or family falls below a certain income threshold. Assistance programs on both a provincial and federal level require that a person be a resident (physically present) for a certain time before they qualify. They may even require the latest tax return to show that a person falls below a certain income level.

As someone has rightfully pointed out, you might want to consider reaching out to relief groups and charities who do this type of assistance. There are many community organisations of Lebanese expats in Canada that may be able to help.
Although I agree I think these charities do want you to exhaust any other options for a loan from friends or family. Many charities already have lots of demands to meet with limited funds. They also try to help their own congregation first.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
I never meant that the government should give money to citizens to make them rich (I'm not that naive) but I meant like helping a citizen to return by helping finding a job opportunity or maybe like a loan or any kind of assistance.
Read this story . There are people on the streets here. People who actually live here and have contributed to society . As noted the waiting list is 11 years for subsidized housing in Toronto, for those actually HERE
These individuals just want a place to LIVE, you know , not under a freeway off ramp, and if the government was handing out loans etc ( which they aren’t ), it would more than likely be to these folks

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/homeless-in-toronto-1.5400781

Last edited:
Reactions: despacito2017

alaamasri89

Dec 24, 2019
United States
Okay guys I understand now that the only way is to find a job and do things slowly. It needs patience, sacrifice and support from family. I live in the United States and I know that the government only helps if you actually have a job but the income is just too low to support yourself and your family. I thought Canada in general is a better country when it comes to benefits and support to it's citizens that's why I asked. Thank you all for your answers and contribution.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Okay guys I understand now that the only way is to find a job and do things slowly. It needs patience, sacrifice and support from family. I live in the United States and I know that the government only helps if you actually have a job but the income is just too low to support yourself and your family. I thought Canada in general is a better country when it comes to benefits and support to it's citizens that's why I asked. Thank you all for your answers and contribution.
If he arrives and is unable to find a job, then he can certainly apply for social assistance (welfare) to survive until he is able to find a job. Social assistance isn't very much money and will not give him and his family a good life. However it's certainly an option in the short term just to survive. Once he is living here, he can also apply for the Canadian Child Benefit which will provide additional monthly payments.

The Canadian government will not pay to relocate him and his family to Canada - he will have to pay for this on his own or seek assistance from his family members.

Subsidized housing is available - however as others have said, wait times are typically 10+ years so he should not expect to receive any help for housing.

Every large city has government funded organizations that help people to search for jobs, prepare resumes, understand how to interview, etc. No one is going to find a job for him - he has to do that himself. However these organizations can help him prepare and know where / how to best search for a job. He should definitely find and make use of these services.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: armoured

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Given that he still needs to sponsor his wife he can’t really receive welfare. If he receives welfare he will not be able to sponsor his spouse. If he had no choice but to receive welfare he will have to be off welfare and working for a few months before starting the sponsorship process. He will only be able to get child benefit when his children are living with him in Canada. Unless his wife already has a TRV she is unlikely to be able to come to Canada until she has her COPR.

Don’t think you will find any country who will pay to relocate an able bodied man and his family who has not lived in the country for the past 25 years. Canada even asks refugees to pay back the cost of their flights to Canada after they were selected as government sponsored refugees.

Sounds like you are likely going to be the one to have to loan him money to get back to Canada. Hopefully he has friends or family there so he can save money on accommodations. If he is in Canada for a year earning money and sponsoring his wife he can rent a room to keep expenses as low as possible.

Musti82

Star Member
Oct 9, 2017
I never meant that the government should give money to citizens to make them rich (I'm not that naive) but I meant like helping a citizen to return by helping finding a job opportunity or maybe like a loan or any kind of assistance.
i think Access employment is a good non profit company, who might at least help him finding a job in his field. i used them like 12 years ago when i was new.

But tell him to make sure he comes with substantial savings, life is now much more expensive (i would say rental rates are up 60% since even 6-7 years ago, ) if its Toronto , its gonna take awhile to get job. tell him to join community organizations and not for profits. GL

Reactions: scylla

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Don’t think you will find any country who will pay to relocate an able bodied man and his family who has not lived in the country for the past 25 years. Canada even asks refugees to pay back the cost of their flights to Canada after they were selected as government sponsored refugees.

Sounds like you are likely going to be the one to have to loan him money to get back to Canada. Hopefully he has friends or family there so he can save money on accommodations. If he is in Canada for a year earning money and sponsoring his wife he can rent a room to keep expenses as low as possible.
Did Canada ask money back from the saudi teen who came earlier in the year with Freeland?

navinball

VIP Member
Feb 26, 2018
no, no government assistance. but if you are a syrian refugee they will provide a limo and a driver to pick you up from the airport, a 2 bedroom furnished apartment, 3000$ a month assistance in addition to 1000$ for every child till they reach 18, free college and a degree for those willing to show up for classes, 18 month maternity assistance for both parents if pregnant and a PR visa for every family relative. its not a lot but still a start.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Did Canada ask money back from the saudi teen who came earlier in the year with Freeland?
Probably if Canada paid for her ticket just like other refugees. She was able to pay for her own ticket to Australia so perhaps had her own funds. Freeland just met her at the Toronto airport. UNHCR facilitated her transfer. They may have paid for the flight.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
no, no government assistance. but if you are a syrian refugee they will provide a limo and a driver to pick you up from the airport, a 2 bedroom furnished apartment, 3000$ a month assistance in addition to 1000$ for every child till they reach 18, free college and a degree for those willing to show up for classes, 18 month maternity assistance for both parents if pregnant and a PR visa for every family relative. its not a lot but still a start.
Let’s not be ridiculous. Many of the large Syrian families got very lucky that child benefit was implemented right before their arrival and they got PR right away. The larger families definitely are benefitting from that policy but are receiving the same benefits as any other Canadian. All government refugees are given a resettlement fund since most come from a refugee camp with nothing. It does frustrate me to see no family planning if parents are unemployed and aren’t advancing in their English or French but it’s a free country and last thing I want is someone telling me what to do with my body.

Reactions: jddd

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
i think Access employment is a good non profit company, who might at least help him finding a job in his field. i used them like 12 years ago when i was new.
Seconding this as a great suggestion. Organization is called ACCES (one "s") in case anyone tries to google it.