+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian citizen meets Uk citizen whilst working in Uk on a 2 year visa

Ralphstars

May 9, 2012
Nine months ago I met my Canadian partner whilst he has been working in UK on a 2 year visa.
His visa runs out on 1/8/2012 and he intends to renew it so we can stay together in the Uk for longer although we intend to return permanently to his home in Alberta at some point in the future with my children aged 7 and 11 - we are 45 and 46.
He was expecting his employer to sponsor his visa renewal but has just been made redundant and so also needs to find employment before the 1/8/2012 !
We have only been together for 9m but have longterm plans to get married and reside in Canada(I work as a registered nurse in UK )
can anyone advise what our options are? either to stay in the Uk for another couple of yrs (visa renewal may be an issue if not got a job in 3m!) and get married here or whether it is easier/quicker to try to return to Canada as a common-law/married couple under his sponsorship ?
I would not be able to work for 3 years as I understand it this way and I would need to keep earning.
How long does it take for me to apply to follow him to Canada (if he cannot stay in UK) under a work visa application(nurse Cap full for 2012 I believe. )
We were hoping to renew on a commonlaw application in UK but it seems we need to prove we have lived together for 2 years - is it less if we marry ?
If we marry in UK but he has to return to canada how long would it take for me to be able to join him - and under which type of visa should we apply?
Any help would be gratefully received as it all seems so daunting !
Many thanks !

NBaker

Oct 23, 2011
At present you do not meet common-law requirements for Canada which while shorter than the UK still require 1 year cohabitation.

If you marry the application can be submitted for sponsorship immediately, or you can wait the additional three months and apply as common-law.

Sponsorship applications through the UK are fairly quick.

This link provides the timeline for the UK - 7 months for complete packages for the applicant; 89 days for the sponsor:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/perm/fc-spouses.asp

Your sponsor must satisfy the requirement that he intends to return to Canada and take up residence here in order to be able to apply to sponsor you from outside Canada.

If you are approved and granted permanent residence from the day you arrive in Canada you are able to work without a permit. As far as working in your field you would need to meet that specific criteria and be licenced.

Ralphstars

May 9, 2012
Many thanks NBaker for your very prompt reponse and helpful information - at least I now know I could work in Canada without a permit if my partner sponsers me as his spouse and the time-line is useful too !