+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian citizen in Manila, trying to get Filipina partner and our son home

YVR-MNL

Apr 3, 2020
Hello,

I am a Canadian citizen currently in Manila with my Filipina partner and our 22 month old son, who is dual citizen. We wish to get to Canada as soon as we can as the situation here is rapidly deteriorating. We have been together since Sept 2017, and moved in together a month or so before our son was born. I believe she may be exempt from the travel ban from what I read posted here:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/service-delivery/coronavirus/travel-restrictions.html#family-members

A few points to consider:
  • I have not been here in Philippines constantly, I traveled home often to see my parents and to bring their grandson to visit, one time I was back home for 6 weeks.
  • My partner has been denied a TRV 4 times, with various reasons given, most boiling down to they don't believe she will leave Canada at the end of her visa despite her having a job and a condo lease here in Manila.
So I guess my questions are: does her being the mother of a (minor) Canadian citizen exempt her of the travel ban? Does my frequent trips to Canada disqualify us as common law partners? How and where can I get the proper documents processed? What document exactly would I need? Emailing the IRCC info address auto-replies to they are no longer taking emails due to Covid:

Thank you for your email. Due to the worldwide impact of COVID-19, all communication to IRCC (including questions, case related queries, and submissions) MUST be submitted using the webform here: secure.cic.gc.ca/enquiries-renseignements/case-cas-eng.aspx?mission=Manila
Your email will not be retained nor actioned. Thank you for your cooperation and patience.
Immigration Section, Manila

Any info and advice you could pass along would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello,

I am a Canadian citizen currently in Manila with my Filipina partner and our 22 month old son, who is dual citizen. We wish to get to Canada as soon as we can as the situation here is rapidly deteriorating. We have been together since Sept 2017, and moved in together a month or so before our son was born. I believe she may be exempt from the travel ban from what I read posted here:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/service-delivery/coronavirus/travel-restrictions.html#family-members

A few points to consider:
  • I have not been here in Philippines constantly, I traveled home often to see my parents and to bring their grandson to visit, one time I was back home for 6 weeks.
  • My partner has been denied a TRV 4 times, with various reasons given, most boiling down to they don't believe she will leave Canada at the end of her visa despite her having a job and a condo lease here in Manila.
So I guess my questions are: does her being the mother of a (minor) Canadian citizen exempt her of the travel ban? Does my frequent trips to Canada disqualify us as common law partners? How and where can I get the proper documents processed? What document exactly would I need? Emailing the IRCC info address auto-replies to they are no longer taking emails due to Covid:

Thank you for your email. Due to the worldwide impact of COVID-19, all communication to IRCC (including questions, case related queries, and submissions) MUST be submitted using the webform here: secure.cic.gc.ca/enquiries-renseignements/case-cas-eng.aspx?mission=Manila
Your email will not be retained nor actioned. Thank you for your cooperation and patience.
Immigration Section, Manila

Any info and advice you could pass along would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Tough situation. Sorry for that.

I don't see any way to get her to Canada quickly. To fly right now, she would need an approved TRV. With 4 refusals already under her belt, the chances of a 5th application being successful are very low. Having said that, you can certainly try. Note that visa processing times are delayed right now due to COVID-19. Yes - she should be exempt from the travel ban. The issue is getting the approved TRV.

The only other alternative would be spousal sponsorship if you qualify as a common law couple. However processing of the visa will take approximately 1 year so this won't get you to Canada anytime soon. To be considered as common law, you must live together continuously for at least one full year. Based on experiences here, any break longer than three weeks is considered by IRCC to be a break in continuous cohabitation and requires you to start the 1 year calculation from scratch. Also, if you take too many trips, IRCC can challenge if you've met the common law requirement. So whether you are common law would depend on whether you have a straight year where you had no breaks of longer than three weeks.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
These are extraordinary times, so I wonder if a TRP could be applied for in this case.
That's a good idea. I think that's certainly an option. The downside is that I think no matter what application is submitted, processing will most likely be quite slow. There's no "fast" option here.

Reactions: bellaluna

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/service-delivery/coronavirus/temporary-residence.html

IRCC’s internal covid-19 special measures do allow for some sort of urgent or Expedited processing for temporary residence out of Manila, on a case to case basis. Certainly no guarantee though that anything will actually get done in a timely manner, as the workforce is compromised and all applicants will want their own special treatment. The way the Philippine government is dealing with everything is crappy AF, so if OP wants to try for it anyway, he can try to write a compelling letter together with a TRV/TRP application explaining how dire their situation is.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/service-delivery/coronavirus/temporary-residence.html

IRCC’s internal covid-19 special measures do allow for some sort of urgent or Expedited processing for temporary residence out of Manila, on a case to case basis. Certainly no guarantee though that anything will actually get done in a timely manner, as the workforce is compromised and all applicants will want their own special treatment. The way the Philippine government is dealing with everything is crappy AF, so if OP wants to try for it anyway, he can try to write a compelling letter together with a TRV/TRP application explaining how dire their situation is.
It would appear that the special measure only applies to South Korean applicants, as they are processed in the Manila office.

YVR-MNL

Apr 3, 2020
Hello, thanks all for your replies.

Can anyone explain how the urgent requests are only being taken from those certain countries?

Last night i received this email:

Dear Canadians,

What follows is an important message from the Government of Canada for Canadians stranded in the Philippines due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Please read it carefully and completely.

The Government of Canada has partnered with Philippine Airlines (PAL) to provide dedicated commercial flights for stranded Canadian Citizens and Permanent Residents who wish to return to Canada. This email contains critical information and instructions for those who wish to access these flights.

Travellers must make their own travel decisions weighing risks specific to their individual situation. The higher price of dedicated flights and the inherent health and safety risks of travelling under the current circumstances must be carefully considered. You are ultimately responsible for keeping you and your family safe and healthy.

Information about dedicated commercial flights to Canada

Flights from Manila to both Toronto and Vancouver are currently planned:

Manila to Toronto
Tuesday, April 14 at 16:50 US $2122 [approx. Can$ 2995.00]

Manila to Vancouver
Tuesday, April 14 at 19:20 US $1596 [approx. Can$ 2252.50]

Because this is a special dedicated flight in extraordinary circumstances, all passengers will pay the same price as there is a single class of service for this particular repatriation.

Onward travel within Canada from either Vancouver or Toronto will be the responsibility of the traveler.

Information about dedicated domestic sweeper flights

Where demand is sufficient, we expect that dedicated sweeper flights will be scheduled on the morning of April 14 to bring stranded Canadian passengers from provinces within the Philippines to Manila. The price of sweeper flights would be included in the cost of the flight to Vancouver or Toronto.

We have identified clusters of Canadians in and around Cebu City, Davao, Cagayan de Oro, Iloilo, Puerto Princesa and Bacolod. If you are interested in accessing these flights, it is important that you signify your interest by responding as soon as possible to this message.

If passenger has a PAL ticket to Canada that was previously cancelled or for a future flight:

Travellers in possession of a confirmed ticket on a cancelled or future PAL flight to Canada will be permitted to use the value of their existing ticket towards the cost of purchasing a ticket on this dedicated flights. The traveller will pay any difference in fare.

This credit is applicable only to tickets that were purchased directly from PAL, not from agents. Passengers who purchased tickets for cancelled PAL flights from agents should contact their agents to rebook their flight.

snip

Eligibility to board:

All passengers, including Canadian Citizens and Permanent Residents, must be in possession of a valid travel document (i.e. passport) and be able to meet the departure requirements of the Philippines’ Bureau of Immigration.

No passengers showing symptoms of COVID-19 will be permitted to board the aircraft. Any passenger exhibiting symptoms during the flight will be quarantined upon arrival at the destination city.

Permanent Residents must have either: (1) a valid Permanent Resident Card; (2) a Permanent Resident Travel Document in their passport; or (3) a Permanent Resident visa approved before March 18, 2020.

Immediate family members of that are neither Canadian Citizens nor PRs of Canada must be in possession of a valid visa or electronic travel authorization and show that they are travelling to Canada for essential reasons, and not reasons that are optional or discretionary, such as tourism, recreation or entertainment.

Facilitation of travel within the Philippines:

snip

How to express interest in dedicated commercial flights

1. Do not respond directly to this email. If you are prepared to purchase tickets in accordance with the costs and restrictions outlined above, please reply by email to ph.covid@international.gc.ca within 24 hours of receipt of this message. The subject line of your message should be in the following format: Closest airport-Family Name, for example CEB-Ladouceur.

2. Provide all of the following information (incomplete e-mails may not be processed):

a. Personal information for each traveller in your family; including:
i. full name as it appears on your passport;
ii. birth date;
iii. passport number and expiration date;
iv. for Permanent Residents and foreign nationals, unique client identifier (UCI) and most recent application number

b. If you are interested in availing of one of the potential sweeper flights to Manila, which airport is most accessible from your current location?

c. Detail any mobility issues which could affect your travel.

d. Provide details if you currently have symptoms of COVID-19. For more info: https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/diseases/2019-novel-coronavirus-infection/symptoms

The personal information you provide will be used by the Embassy of Canada to support your return to Canada and may be shared cooperatively with Philippine Airlines and the Government of the Philippines.

Please share this update with other Canadian citizens in your area. Remind them also that the best way to receive future updates is by registering to receive ROCA messages at: https://travel.gc.ca/travelling/registration.

Embassy of Canada, Manila, Philippines
Does this sentence kill my chances?

"Immediate family members of that are neither Canadian Citizens nor PRs of Canada must be in possession of a valid visa or electronic travel authorization and show that they are travelling to Canada for essential reasons, and not reasons that are optional or discretionary, such as tourism, recreation or entertainment."

I sent them an email with our info and explaining our situation but of course I did not heard back from them.

The consular section has been no help, they just refer me to IRCC and there is literally no way to contact anyone at IRCC, other than through a web-form.

They have extended the quarantine until the end of April.

I'm not sure what steps to take or who to talk to.

Last edited:

YVR-MNL

Apr 3, 2020
Is the process for TRP same as TRV, i.e requires documents submitted a the third party processing office?

Editing to add: the TRP application is made along with a visa application.

Editing again: The application must be sent in by mail, but the form is not available on the website as the form is different for each visa office. Great.

These are extraordinary times, so I wonder if a TRP could be applied for in this case.

Last edited:

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello, thanks all for your replies.

Can anyone explain how the urgent requests are only being taken from those certain countries?

Last night i received this email:

Does this sentence kill my chances?

"Immediate family members of that are neither Canadian Citizens nor PRs of Canada must be in possession of a valid visa or electronic travel authorization and show that they are travelling to Canada for essential reasons, and not reasons that are optional or discretionary, such as tourism, recreation or entertainment."

I sent them an email with our info and explaining our situation but of course I did not heard back from them.

The consular section has been no help, they just refer me to IRCC and there is literally no way to contact anyone at IRCC, other than through a web-form.

They have extended the quarantine until the end of April.

I'm not sure what steps to take or who to talk to.
You face two challenges (one being much larger). The first is that your partner needs either a valid TRV or TRP to board the plane. The second is that your partner technically doesn't meet the family member definition since you aren't married or common law. But I think there's a decent chance she would still be allowed to board given you have a child together (again, provided she has a valid TRV or TRP - this part is non negotiable). IMO I would apply for a TRV (not TRP) online and explain the extenuating circumstances and request approval to take your partner and child to Canada. I think getting approval by April 14th will likely be very challenging. All processing is slower right now. IMO you should assume your partner will not be able to travel on April 14th and decide what your plan will be if she is not able to come to Canada.

YVR-MNL

Apr 3, 2020
You face two challenges (one being much larger). The first is that your partner needs either a valid TRV or TRP to board the plane. The second is that your partner technically doesn't meet the family member definition since you aren't married or common law. But I think there's a decent chance she would still be allowed to board given you have a child together (again, provided she has a valid TRV or TRP - this part is non negotiable). IMO I would apply for a TRV (not TRP) online and explain the extenuating circumstances and request approval to take your partner and child to Canada. I think getting approval by April 14th will likely be very challenging. All processing is slower right now. IMO you should assume your partner will not be able to travel on April 14th and decide what your plan will be if she is not able to come to Canada.
We will apply online, thank you.

I don't think I can convince her to write the travel letter for my son, I tried again last night after showing her the email from the Canadian Embassy. Leaving without my son is not an option. We are relatively comfortable here and have a safe/secure home, but the gov't here is really ill prepared and ill equipped to deal with this crisis in my opinion. My partner is able to work from home so no real money worries yet. I don't think April 14 is gonna happen as you said. Trying to stay positive but this one is a doozy!

Reactions: scylla

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..

We will apply online, thank you.

I don't think I can convince her to write the travel letter for my son, I tried again last night after showing her the email from the Canadian Embassy. Leaving without my son is not an option. We are relatively comfortable here and have a safe/secure home, but the gov't here is really ill prepared and ill equipped to deal with this crisis in my opinion. My partner is able to work from home so no real money worries yet. I don't think April 14 is gonna happen as you said. Trying to stay positive but this one is a doozy!
The only country that is well prepared with this crisis is Taiwan. Not even Canada!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Will also depends on depend on who else is asking for flights. Think the big negative is that you actually live full-time in the Philippines on top of your wife’s status.

Canada2020eh

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2019
Unfortunately your wife can't leave the country on a TRV/TRP. No Filipino allowed to leave the country as a tourist.

www.dfa.gov.ph/covid-19-advisories/26380-travel-advisory-outbound-travel-restrictions-by-philippine-government-on-filipino-travelers

We are in that situation ourselves, stuck in MNL now, BI wouldn't let my wife and son last Friday. Can't go to Canada, can't go home to Antique. We have written letters to BI, DFA and the CDN embassy trying for an exemption. I'll let you know if we make any progress.