+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian citizen got job in USA

futurecitizen

Star Member
Mar 29, 2013
Thank you for the reply so that means I'm good to work in US without giving up my Canadian citizenship I applied in 2014 and became citizen in 2015 before the new bill/law came in effect

foodie69

Champion Member
Dec 18, 2015
futurecitizen said:
Thank you for the reply so that means I'm good to work in US without giving up my Canadian citizenship I applied in 2014 and became citizen in 2015 before the new bill/law came in effect
Stop worrying and enjoy your life.

washington.state

Star Member
Oct 29, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
futurecitizen said:
Hi All,

I'm from India but in 2015 I became Canadian Citizen via Naturalization. I got job offer in USA and I have accepted the offer. My question is by taking the job offer I'm not jeopardizing my Canadian Citizenship. I'm and will remain Canadian Citizen for my life even though I work in USA for 10-15 years. The only way I can lose my citizenship if I renounce like i did for India.

Hope to have answer for my post ASAP

Thanks
you are right but if you got TN visa then every 1 year you have to renew it at any border post.

itsmyid

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
washington.state said:
you are right but if you got TN visa then every 1 year you have to renew it at any border post.
No, it has been renewal every 3 years since a few years back

Asker302

Star Member
May 27, 2016
frege said:
I know that.

The problem is that in theory, until Bill C-24 is repealed, leaving for another country later could be used as evidence that, at the time of taking the oath, the applicant hadn't originally intended to remain in Canada and therefore misrepresented himself.

Nobody has ever had their citizenship stripped under this provision of C-24, so it's hard to know how it would be applied. But the possibility that things would play out as I describe was one of the major arguments against this part of C-24.

Unlike other people bill C-24 won't be applicable to somebody who renounce their previous citizenship.
In case of the asker, since Canadian is his only citizenship it can not be revoked, as revocation is only applicable to dual citizens

Natan

May 22, 2015
Asker302 said:
Unlike other people bill C-24 won't be applicable to somebody who renounce their previous citizenship.
In case of the asker, since Canadian is his only citizenship it can not be revoked, as revocation is only applicable to dual citizens
This is incorrect. The requirement is that Government is able to "assert" that the person is "eligible" for citizenship elsewhere. Government does not have to prove their assertion.

Example 1: a person who has a single great-great-grandparent from India can have their citizenship revoked and be deported to India, regardless of whether they are citizens of India, because they are "eligible" for Indian citizenship under Indian law.

Example 2: if all of a person's great-grandparents were born in Britain and all of their grandparents were born in Canada, that person could not have their citizenship revoked because they are not eligible for British citizenship under British law.