+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

canadian citizen entering canada illegally. help me please

emamabd

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2012
You are also a USA citizen, so you do not feel offended, that your country is not good enough for them to claim asylum there (I am assuming, that they lived in USA for some time and now they want to Canada)?
I think the OP mentioned they are fleeing trump....i.e. their issue is not the country, rather that person sitting in the white house

vensak

VIP Member
Jul 14, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I think the OP mentioned they are fleeing trump....i.e. their issue is not the country, rather that person sitting in the white house
It is your president that was elected in democratic elections. That in fact he is a minority president (because of the election system in USA), is for other discussion.

However so far I know even that president is NOT above the law (which was already proven). If their reasons for asylum are real they should have a very decent chance to get it in USA and they should have put down that claim long ago.

As in other democratic countries in USA you have to put down the facts as well as the possibility to appeal against this decision.

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I would strongly encourage your Haitian friends to speak to an immigration lawyer because most Haitian asylum seekers are deported to Haiti. There have been lots of false rumours circulating in the community. I think many Haitian refugees were surprised to see how little they received when they got to Canada.

As a US and a Canadian citizen you are required by law to enter and exit at the legal border crossings. I'm sure you have seen other reporters covering the story and they all crossed through a legal border. You will not be able to follow this family through their asylum processing. You also are taking a huge risk crossing the border with them. If you cross with them you could be arrested for helping people to cross the Canadian border illegally. You will also be immediately separated from all the asylum seekers so there is no point risking getting in trouble when you won't be able to stay with the family after they cross the border.

Reactions: scylla

asylum_seeker

Dec 13, 2017
Why bother with crossing anyways?
You can still document the case properly without having to actually cross the border. Either have a colleague assist you, like get some footage prior to crossing and you can continue on the Canadian side, and then you can make it look like you covered it all the way.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I would strongly encourage your Haitian friends to speak to an immigration lawyer because most Haitian asylum seekers are deported to Haiti. There have been lots of false rumours circulating in the community. I think many Haitian refugees were surprised to see how little they received when they got to Canada.
This is very good advice. There's a lot of misinformation out there right now in the community. For many Haitians currently in the US, coming to Canada just gets them deported home sooner. They don't meet the criteria to claim refugee status here. If they want to avoid being deported back to Haiti, they are better off laying low in the US and waiting for a new administration.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
You may want to point out to your Haitian friends that the approval rate for Haitians claiming asylum in Canada is down to 8% for those processed so far. That’s a 92% rejection rate. And I believe if they are rejected they are returns to Haiti, not the US.
That's correct and they are returned to Haiti. Again, Haitians are better off remaining in the US and hoping laws change in the future. Coming to Canada is almost a guaranteed ticket home. Please tell your friends so that they can make an informed choice and not assume Canada is a slam-dunk. It's everything but that.

Reactions: Rob_TO