+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian Child Benefit while BOWP and PR is in progress

Hopeful0403

Star Member
May 21, 2020
Hi - My PR is under progress (AOR 21 May 2020) and I only recently filed BOWP. My current WP is expiring on 30 Dec. So there could be a period when My WP expires and PR/BOWP are still in progress. I am guessing I will not get CCB during that period.

Does anyone know if CRA would pay the CCB in retro for this period also, once I resubmit the proof of valid status (hoping the BOWP or PR would be approved at some point)
Or if the CCB for this period is lost?

Pgill2609

Sep 7, 2019
Hi - My PR is under progress (AOR 21 May 2020) and I only recently filed BOWP. My current WP is expiring on 30 Dec. So there could be a period when My WP expires and PR/BOWP are still in progress. I am guessing I will not get CCB during that period.

Does anyone know if CRA would pay the CCB in retro for this period also, once I resubmit the proof of valid status (hoping the BOWP or PR would be approved at some point)
Or if the CCB for this period is lost?
CBB is to do with your tax returns and if your new to the country you have to wait 18 months before applying. I would assume that your wife is on cbb claim so it should be no problem

Reactions: Hopeful0403

Petpea

Aug 19, 2020
Child benefit stops once you are out of status however if you submit a bowp ,it will back paid for just the validity of the permit.

Cannnada

Star Member
Nov 30, 2019
Child benefit stops once you are out of status however if you submit a bowp ,it will back paid for just the validity of the permit.
So in order to get CCB, we need to submit BOWP application details to CRA, or wait till either you have PR or WP and submit and Claim for the missing months. My case is, my WP expired in August, waiting for COPR and currently on BOWP (waiting for decision).

Hopeful0403

Star Member
May 21, 2020
Thanks Guys for responding!!
Yeah..My wife is currently receiving CCB..We had completed the 18 month residency criteria in October. Before starting CCB, CRA had asked specifically for WP document also which has expiry date of 30 Dec.
So it looks like once I have either approved PR or approved BOWP, I would submit the same and expect the payment for previous months which I spent on implied status.

MLV1979

Feb 2, 2021
Hello, I'm also wondering if folks have successfully received backpay of CCB once their bridging open work permit was issued for the months of being under implied status. Prior to that I received it, and have been working and paying taxes during the whole period. I've submitted my new permit (Jan 2021) and was told our first payment will be in March. Thanks!

Cannnada

Star Member
Nov 30, 2019
Hi,
I had received CCB till the expiry date of my WP which was in Sept 20, currently waiting for PR (AoR 1st Aug 20). I received BoWP two months back.
Do I have to submit BowP document to CRA to get paid for the previous months?
Also, I have a Canadian born son, for whom CRA said he wont be eligible for CCB if parents don't have PR or Citizenship.
OR this 18 months rule applies to him too?
Any one has any idea on this ?

MLV1979

Feb 2, 2021
Hi, Yes you need to submit your BOWP for CCB payments to start again and, I'm told, to receive backpay. Until my permit expired, I had always received payments for my Canadian born child (was a temp resident here 2 years when she was born, and was receiving payments already for other children). Hope that helps.

Reactions: Cannnada

Hopeful0403

Star Member
May 21, 2020
Hi - My payment never stopped and I received it even on Jan 20. My WP had expired on 30 Dec 2020.
I had simply uploaded a copy of BoWP submission on CRA Portal which included my implied status date till March 2021.
My BOWP and PR both got approved recently so going to upload copy of COPR today.

My friend is on WP and started to get CCB for his Canadian newborn immediately..My friend had been in Canada already for 2 years and son was born recently

Reactions: Cannnada

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi, Yes you need to submit your BOWP for CCB payments to start again and, I'm told, to receive backpay. Until my permit expired, I had always received payments for my Canadian born child (was a temp resident here 2 years when she was born, and was receiving payments already for other children). Hope that helps.
Assume you mean you got CCB after 18 months as a temporary resident.

Puttna03

Apr 25, 2019
Toronto
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
19-09-2020
Med's Done....
04-11-2020
Hi All,

I have completed 18months in Canada and filed 2020 taxes as well. CCB updated as below, what is this EXPECTED status? Will I get payment or I need apply for CCB? Not sure how to apply for CCB. Please help me.

March 19, 2021and status is expected.

Payment date: March 19, 2021
BPO-503 Our records show no payment will be issued. You may find more information in your notice. To see notices issued, go to view mail

Diya@123

Dec 30, 2020
Hi All,

I have completed 18months in Canada and filed 2020 taxes as well. CCB updated as below, what is this EXPECTED status? Will I get payment or I need apply for CCB? Not sure how to apply for CCB. Please help me.

March 19, 2021and status is expected.

Payment date: March 19, 2021
BPO-503Our records show no payment will be issued. You may find more information in your notice. To see notices issued, go to view mail
hi,
did you get the CCB? I have applied for my CCB for my daughter. but MY CRA account indicate that child is added, CCB box is ticked but BPO-503 note is also mentioned. what does it mean? will I be getting CCB or not? please advise.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
hi,
did you get the CCB? I have applied for my CCB for my daughter. but MY CRA account indicate that child is added, CCB box is ticked but BPO-503 note is also mentioned. what does it mean? will I be getting CCB or not? please advise.
Have you filed your income tax and paid taxes? If income is too high, then you don’t receive it.

aaadddiiiiiiii

Star Member
Jun 6, 2020
hi,
i
am in same boat , can u plz tell if u received payment for expected column and it says bpo error ?

Roschekyrie

Apr 23, 2019
Hi i need some information. I also apply for bowp and PR but got refused, because of this I lost my status last April 2022. I apply to restore my status last May and my status was restored last September 2022. My question is about child benefit. Will the 18 months will have to start again from the time i restore my status? I already recieving child benefit in my first work permit. This is my 2nd work permit. Im wondering if i will get child benefit again or i have to work 18 months again before i start recieving child benefit.