+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian Certificate of qualification

flowryngl878

Jan 6, 2017
Hi there Senior and all,
Wish you have good day, I’m planning to apply PR under CEC through Express Entry in 4 months, after checked my score only below of cut off recently 449, however when I added that I had Canadian certificate of qualification my score up to 497, my question :

=> what is this Canadian certificate of qualification? I’m working as a Line cook through LMIA program, what sort of certificate of qualification should I take as a Line cook?

=> I want to have EEBC and EE, Can I also apply Express entry BC if I only have 1 year experience as line cook in Canada?

=> Can I leave the current job or change to different industry under LMIA program after I submit my express entry? Will it be effecting my score?

Thank you in advance senior,

Regards,

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi there Senior and all,
Wish you have good day, I’m planning to apply PR under CEC through Express Entry in 4 months, after checked my score only below of cut off recently 449, however when I added that I had Canadian certificate of qualification my score up to 497, my question :

=> what is this Canadian certificate of qualification? I’m working as a Line cook through LMIA program, what sort of certificate of qualification should I take as a Line cook?

=> I want to have EEBC and EE, Can I also apply Express entry BC if I only have 1 year experience as line cook in Canada?

=> Can I leave the current job or change to different industry under LMIA program after I submit my express entry? Will it be effecting my score?

Thank you in advance senior,

Regards,
You won't get points for a cook certification.

Certificates of Qualifications apply to trades such as plumbers and electricians.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Hi there Senior and all,

Actually, the BC college of trades, ITA, accepts/endorses the Red Seal (level 3) trade certificate for cooks.

https://www.itabc.ca/program/cook-professional-cook-3

Unfortunately, IRCC is not so clear on what they will accept - On the one hand, they say they will accept a trade certificate if it is recognized by the provincial college of trades, in which case they should accept this. But they also talk about regulated trades on their website - since the CoQ in all provinces for cook is optional, not mandatory, it is not a regulated occupation. (The same is true for Carpenter, for example).

The difference is, for regulated trades, there is a mandatory apprenticeship, and the work experience does not count as employment (same as working under a study permit). Whereas with cook or carpenter, you can work without certification, and have the work count as employment experience. If you also then claim a CoQ, it seems like double-counting : )

Short answer - I´m not sure. Would love to hear if other cooks with a CoQ had the points counted.

In any case, it would probably take some time for you to earn the Red Seal CoQ.

Not enough info. You can see the rules for EEBC here -
https://www.welcomebc.ca/Immigrate-to-B-C/BC-PNP-Express-Entry-B-C

What do you mean, "under LMIA program"? Do you mean, you are currently working under an LMIA-approved closed work permit, with a specific employer? If yes, then you cannot change jobs without a new LMIA and new work permit. You can legally change jobs only after you become a permanent resident, not before.