+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

CANADIAN BY DESCENT

Brocor10

Oct 30, 2013
Hello -

I am believed to be a Canadian by Descent; my grandmother was born and raised in Nova Scotia travelled and married my grandfather who born in Georgia and later married in Boston, USA.

My grandmother had several children all of which are 1st generation Canadian-Americans by birth of a Canadian citizen; Now my question is as a 2nd generation Canadian-American by descent does this qualify me for citizenship?

One additional point; my grandmother retained her citizenship until her passing - As I read through Canada's Immigration Bill C-37 its is somewhat confusing.

Any information provided is most appreciated.

Kind regards,

Cornelius.

Swede

Aug 18, 2009
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
London, England
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
2009-10-27
File Transfer...
2009-11-12
Med's Done....
2009-08-11
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
2010-01-22
VISA ISSUED...
2010-01-20
LANDED..........
2010-03-05
When were you born? Do you have any paperwork to prove her citizenship?

Brocor10

Oct 30, 2013
Yes, I have proof of birth for both grandparent(N.S.) and mother(U.S) births - As for me I was born in 1962.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Brocor10 said:
Hello -

I am believed to be a Canadian by Descent; my grandmother was born and raised in Nova Scotia travelled and married my grandfather who born in Georgia and later married in Boston, USA.

My grandmother had several children all of which are 1st generation Canadian-Americans by birth of a Canadian citizen; Now my question is as a 2nd generation Canadian-American by descent does this qualify me for citizenship?

One additional point; my grandmother retained her citizenship until her passing - As I read through Canada's Immigration Bill C-37 its is somewhat confusing.

Any information provided is most appreciated.

Kind regards,

Cornelius.
1. You are probably not a citizen. If you use the tool http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizenship/rules/tool_04.asp

Based on the information you provided, it appears that you are not a Canadian citizen.

This could be due to one of the following reasons:

You were born outside Canada, neither of your parents was a Canadian citizen at the time of your birth, and you were never granted Canadian citizenship.
You were born outside Canada to non-Canadian parents and were adopted by a Canadian parent, but you have not been granted Canadian citizenship.
You are of the second or subsequent generation born outside Canada to a Canadian parent between January 1, 1947, and February 14, 1977, and you did not take the necessary steps to either register your birth outside Canada or apply for a direct grant of citizenship in order to become a Canadian citizen.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
However, even if you are probably not a Canadian citizen, the only way to find out would be to apply for a citizenship certificate and see what happens.

You can find the application form here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizenship/proof-how.asp