+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian Business Abroad

inky1969

Nov 18, 2012
I landed in Canada as a PR with my family in 2010 march. We had to go back to my home country in January 2011 as my mother fallen ill. In December 2012 I came back to Canada with my family. I started a business and registered a Federal Company in Canada which provides legal services to my home country men who live in Canada and abroad. I am the only director /owner and the employee of the company at the moment. I have not employed any one yet as the business is just started.

As a part of my business I have to start an office in my home country and hire legal professionals to file cases, to do title searches and other related services. My office in Canada will be connected to my office in home country via internet and I will have to stay most of the days in my home country to manage the things . all my business accounts are with Canadian banks and all the revenue that generate from the business will be automatically deposited in Canadian business accounts.

My concern is how this will effect to my residency obligation. Will my company be treated as a Canadian business. Will I be treated as employed out side Canada by a Canadian business.

Please advise
Many thanks in advance.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
No - your days outside of Canada will not be counted as days spent within Canada. The rules for counting days spent outside of Canada while working for a Canadian company are very specific and your scenario will not qualify given this is a company you established yourself. CIC will say that you established this business in Canada solely for the purpose of trying to retain your PR status while living outside of Canada.

See the information in the following guide for the detailed criteria you must meet in order to count the time spend outside of Canada towards your PR residency requirement.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/5445ETOC.asp