+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian/British citizen looking to sponsor fiancé - questions.

gaiasgrace

Jan 31, 2011
Hi!

This is a great forum, there's some fantastic advice and information on here. I love how helpful people are.

I'm a Canadian born citizen, but also became a UK citizen when I was 11 (17 years ago) as my mother is British/Canadian and she moved back here to the UK. I have 2 older sisters, and my mothers cousin living in British Columbia, Canada. I still live here in the UK.

I am hoping to sponsor my fiance to become a Canadian resident. We went on holiday to Canada last year to visit family and we are really keen to move there and make a life for ourselves.

I have been in a relationship with my fiance for 2 years and 10 months. We have been living together for over 2 years and have proof of this including shared bills and a tenancy agreement. 6 months ago we moved in with my parents, so no tenancy agreement or bills, but we are on the electoral role. We have plenty of proof and photos that our relationship is genuine, and we got engaged for a September wedding just a month ago. We're applying now for a joint bank account.

It appears clear that we should apply from the UK due to the fact that she can be working and there will be less stress involved.

My fiance has a degree but isn't on the list of needed professionals in Canada as she's had a variety of jobs.

Now here's some elements I'm unsure about:

I've had a 6 year long career as a 3D animator, and have been working for the last year on a freelance basis earning a very modest wage. I plan to get a fairly well paid job in the video games industry in Canada, but it can take many job applications in this competitive industry to land one, and I also need to improve my portfolio beforehand.

1. Do I need to prove I can support her if we're common-law?
2. Should I have a job or a job lined up before we start the application?
3. And if I don't have a job there, how would I prove that I can support her? Is that possible?
4. We could stay with family (and have them confirm this for the application) while we look for jobs, is that likely to be sufficient?
5. I visited Canada only twice in the last 17 years, is this likely to effect the application?
6. Over all, would you say our application stands a very good chance?

Sorry for the lengthy message, just thought the more information we give the better people can help us. Thank you!

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
gaiasgrace said:
1. Do I need to prove I can support her if we're common-law?
2. Should I have a job or a job lined up before we start the application?
3. And if I don't have a job there, how would I prove that I can support her? Is that possible?
4. We could stay with family (and have them confirm this for the application) while we look for jobs, is that likely to be sufficient?
5. I visited Canada only twice in the last 17 years, is this likely to effect the application?
6. Over all, would you say our application stands a very good chance?

Sorry for the lengthy message, just thought the more information we give the better people can help us. Thank you!
1) no
2) Would be good, but it is not always possible
3) You don't need to prove it, but ask yourself how you will support her?
4) That is open to debate, it is always better to get a job
5) Not likely
6) Nobody can say for certain.

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/spousal-sponsorship-t46995.0.html;msg344291#msg344291

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/spouse.asp

Wells Dad

Star Member
Jan 28, 2011
I think I've also read that there is no fiancee class anymore? Would be better to either marry first, or sponsor as common-law.

Can one of the more experienced comment on this?

waitingintz

Jul 22, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Pretoria
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-07-2010
Doc's Request.
01-11-2010
AOR Received.
28-09-2010
File Transfer...
24-08-2010
Med's Done....
22-06-2010
Interview........
waived!!
Passport Req..
16-02-2011
VISA ISSUED...
22/02/2011
LANDED..........
19-5-2011 (hopefully!)
As Wells Dad said, there is no Fiancee class so you would be applying under the spouse/common-law/conjugal class but you seem to have all the evidence needed for common-law so that shouldn't be a problem.

There is no financial minimum for that class so you don't need to show anything employment wise except for submitting your option C print-out.

You DO have to prove that you will be relocating to Canada with your partner. Without a job or lease or financial link to Canada this will take a little creativity. Submitting evidence such as your current salary and then salary estimates for the same position in Canada (to show that you have financial incentive to move) might help and will also demonstrate that you have been researching work options.

They don't ask the sponsor about your travels... as long as you are a Canadian citizen who is not on welfare and has no prior sponsorships all you need to proove is that you are moving back to Canada.

gaiasgrace

Jan 31, 2011
Yes, it would be under common-law partner.

Thank you for the responses everyone. It feel a little more encouraged now.
The biggest doubt we had was regarding me as the sponsor needing a job, or someone offering me a job, before we start the application. The waiting period for the application could then be very disruptive to our lives, as I would have to go ahead to Canada and we would be separated until I got a job, start the application and await the results....

We both intend to stay with relatives and get jobs as soon as we get there. I hope that's sufficient.

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
"very disruptive to our lives" - Welcome to the world of Canadian immigration - good luck.

bonbon9

Jul 7, 2010
ON, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
MX
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09/15/2010
AOR Received.
12/02/2010
File Transfer...
10/14/2010
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
02/23/2011
LANDED..........
05/17/2011
gaiasgrace said:
We both intend to stay with relatives and get jobs as soon as we get there. I hope that's sufficient.
Letters from these relatives stating that you will be staying with them when you arrive to Canada would definately help.