+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian born child but not holding canadian passport need to re-enter canada

harish

Dec 3, 2005
india
Hi,
I've a child , who is born here. I donot want to apply for his canadian passport. I can get child's indian passport and indian citizenship by decent. Both parents are in Canada on PR. We are planning to go out of Canada few months and return back. But not sure that we will stay longer upon return to Canada.

What document's will be needed for the child when he will re-enter Canada? I know , any one born in Canada is the citizen of canada. But in this case, child will not have canadian passport. What other documents are needed to travel back?

Thank you,

Seym

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2017
Well, a canadian citizen doesn't need a passport to cross a land border...
In your situation, it means getting a US visa for your kid, flying to the US and going to Canada by car or bus.

That's pretty much the only way your kid can make it to Canada without a Canadian passport AFAIK.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Hi,
I've a child , who is born here. I donot want to apply for his canadian passport. I can get child's indian passport and indian citizenship by decent. Both parents are in Canada on PR. We are planning to go out of Canada few months and return back. But not sure that we will stay longer upon return to Canada.

What document's will be needed for the child when he will re-enter Canada? I know , any one born in Canada is the citizen of canada. But in this case, child will not have canadian passport. What other documents are needed to travel back?

Thank you,
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/visit-canada/dual-canadian-citizens-visit-canada.html

I don't believe that you have any choice. As a born Canadian citizen your child is not eligible for any kind of Canadian visa. A passport is required for air travel.

bimale4bipeople

VIP Member
Apr 15, 2018
Hi,

Thank you,
I am curious to know when you have good genuine opportunity why not apply for a Canadian passport for your child ?

sns204

Champion Member
Dec 12, 2012
The child can't be dual Indian/Canadian citizen, I'd guess is the reason. This is going to be a bit problematic at the border as I assume the country of birth is listed on the Indian passport?

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
As the child IS a Canadian citizen and there is nothing that the parents can do to change that, it's possible that India may refuse to issue an Indian passport anyway. It depends on the exact rules used by the Indian government...

sns204

Champion Member
Dec 12, 2012
As the child IS a Canadian citizen and there is nothing that the parents can do to change that, it's possible that India may refuse to issue an Indian passport anyway. It depends on the exact rules used by the Indian government...
Yeah, as soon as I hit enter I had this thought as well. They would have to relinquish the childs citizenship. Can they even do that?

sns204

Champion Member
Dec 12, 2012
Interesting... found this:

• A minor child of Indian origins may hold dual citizenship of India and another country. So that the minor can decide within six months of completing 18 years of age as to whether he/she prefers Indian citizenship.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Yeah, as soon as I hit enter I had this thought as well. They would have to relinquish the childs citizenship. Can they even do that?
No, they can't. Only the child can do that, once it becomes an adult.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Interesting... found this:

• A minor child of Indian origins may hold dual citizenship of India and another country. So that the minor can decide within six months of completing 18 years of age as to whether he/she prefers Indian citizenship.
Problem solved. The child will need both passports.

bimale4bipeople

VIP Member
Apr 15, 2018
Correct, Indian Govt. does not recognize dual citizenship, but it can grant Overseas Citizenship of India(OCI). OCI is granted to applicants who have acquired citizenship of a foreign country and who were of Indian Origin.
https://passport.gov.in/oci/
https://www.immihelp.com/nri/overseascitizenshipindia/