+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian Border - Parents don't speak english (or french)

Konata

Sep 10, 2012
Hi,

Is there any kind of standard procedure for people who do not speak english or french at the border?

My wife's parents will be visiting from Beijing and they only speak Mandarin. They will be entering at Pearson International Airport in Toronto which does have an extremely large chinese population. Will they have border agents who speak Mandarin there or would they have translators available if they are pulled aside for further questioning? They got a supervisa this year, but this will be their first entry into Canada.

Also would the border agents accept a letter from me and my wife asking them to call us if they have any questions?

I've been trying to Google this issue but haven't found much specific to Canada.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Konata said:
Hi,

Is there any kind of standard procedure for people who do not speak english or french at the border?

My wife's parents will be visiting from Beijing and they only speak Mandarin. They will be entering at Pearson International Airport in Toronto which does have an extremely large chinese population. Will they have border agents who speak Mandarin there or would they have translators available if they are pulled aside for further questioning? They got a supervisa this year, but this will be their first entry into Canada.

Also would the border agents accept a letter from me and my wife asking them to call us if they have any questions?

I've been trying to Google this issue but haven't found much specific to Canada.

Thanks for any help you can provide.
1. They have interpreters available.
2. They probably would phone you.

Konata

Sep 10, 2012
PMM said:
Hi

1. They have interpreters available.
2. They probably would phone you.
Thank you.

I wasn't quite sure.

I'm also reading that Parents visiting under a super visa will also have additional documents to show at the border.

Are the additional documents only the Insurance forms? If me and my wife write another invitation letter for the border agents benefit, will we also need to provide income verification again?

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
PMM is right.

My father-in-law is visiting us in Vancouver from China. He speaks only Chinese and he told the Border Officer (via other travelers) that he does not speak English and they direct him to see the interpreter.

leprechaun

Sep 9, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Tel Aviv, Israel
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-08-2005
Med's Request
15-10-2007
Med's Done....
12-11-2007
Passport Req..
30-01-2008
VISA ISSUED...
12-02-2008
LANDED..........
01-03-2008
My mother doesn't speak English. I prepared a following letter for her, which she presents every time to the border officials and they never have any problem with that for five years already. Never even used an interpreter, they just let her in, end of story.

"To: Immigration / Visa Officer.

Dear Officer!

My name is MOTHERS_NAME. Unfortunately, I don't speak English (I do speak LANGUAGE_NAME). I come to Canada as a guest of my sons' family and will be staying at their home. I don't carry any significant gifts or excess amount of cash on me. I'm scheduled to go back to HOME_COUNTRY in September.

The son's name is MY_NAME. He is a Canadian Citizen.

The phone numbers are as following:
MY_HOME_PHONE,
MY_MOBILE_PHONE,
MY_WORK_PHONE.

The address is:
MY_ADDRESS

Should you have any questions or concerns please do not hesitate to contact him.

Thank you,
MOTHERS_NAME."

Vish_AINP

Feb 7, 2014
leprechaun said:
My mother doesn't speak English. I prepared a following letter for her, which she presents every time to the border officials and they never have any problem with that for five years already. Never even used an interpreter, they just let her in, end of story.

"To: Immigration / Visa Officer.

Dear Officer!

My name is MOTHERS_NAME. Unfortunately, I don't speak English (I do speak LANGUAGE_NAME). I come to Canada as a guest of my sons' family and will be staying at their home. I don't carry any significant gifts or excess amount of cash on me. I'm scheduled to go back to HOME_COUNTRY in September.

The son's name is MY_NAME. He is a Canadian Citizen.

The phone numbers are as following:
MY_HOME_PHONE,
MY_MOBILE_PHONE,
MY_WORK_PHONE.

The address is:
MY_ADDRESS

Should you have any questions or concerns please do not hesitate to contact him.

Thank you,
MOTHERS_NAME."
Thank you for that very simple letter format. What does your mother do about the customs declaration form that need to be filled out when entering Canada?

Urnaa

May 17, 2017
Thank you for that very simple letter format. What does your mother do about the customs declaration form that need to be filled out when entering Canada?
Thanks so much. This letter worked very well for my dad to enter Canada.

may4ank

Nov 23, 2014
Canada
Category........
Other
App. Filed.......
18-11-2020
Doc's Request.
N/A
How about filling up the declaration form