+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canada Visitor Visa for spouse of US-H1B/Canadian PR

jpancholi0109

Jan 4, 2020
Hey everyone,

Apologies, this is bit long post, but I’d really appreciate y’all’s help.

I am a Canadian PR living in the US on H1B visa. I plan on moving to Canada by January. I recently got married and my wife is in India. I know the process for a spousal PR will take some time. So we were thinking to apply for her visitor visa before applying her PR.

The issue is I’ve seen on a number of forums saying to not apply for Canada visitor visa as it can get rejected because she doesnt have any other country’s visa and havent traveled to a different country in last 5 yrs.

Based on my H1, she has an appointment for her US H4 visa next week which I dont see any issue on her getting it. But as I will be moving to Canada in January, we dont think it’s wise to come to the US for 3 months. I have also read on forums that if you have US visa, the chances of getting a Canadian visitor visa are high. But the way I think is having a US visa is one thing and having it used to travel to tHe US is another.

So my hypothetical question is does anyone know if just having a US visa sticker and not actually being it used makes the case stronger? We were also thinking of sending my PR details with her visitor visa application to make the case stronger.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hey everyone,

Apologies, this is bit long post, but I’d really appreciate y’all’s help.

I am a Canadian PR living in the US on H1B visa. I plan on moving to Canada by January. I recently got married and my wife is in India. I know the process for a spousal PR will take some time. So we were thinking to apply for her visitor visa before applying her PR.

The issue is I’ve seen on a number of forums saying to not apply for Canada visitor visa as it can get rejected because she doesnt have any other country’s visa and havent traveled to a different country in last 5 yrs.

Based on my H1, she has an appointment for her US H4 visa next week which I dont see any issue on her getting it. But as I will be moving to Canada in January, we dont think it’s wise to come to the US for 3 months. I have also read on forums that if you have US visa, the chances of getting a Canadian visitor visa are high. But the way I think is having a US visa is one thing and having it used to travel to tHe US is another.

So my hypothetical question is does anyone know if just having a US visa sticker and not actually being it used makes the case stronger? We were also thinking of sending my PR details with her visitor visa application to make the case stronger.
Being approved for a US visa may make her application stronger. Primarly the most important thing will be to demonstrate ties to her home country (job, property, assets).

You being a PR actually weakens the visitor visa application. However she will have no choice but to declare that you are a PR in the application.

jpancholi0109

Jan 4, 2020
Being approved for a US visa may make her application stronger. Primarly the most important thing will be to demonstrate ties to her home country (job, property, assets).

You being a PR actually weakens the visitor visa application. However she will have no choice but to declare that you are a PR in the application.
hello,

Thank you. So it seems like a tough road ahead. We will try figuring out.

would you happen to know if she were present in thr US and we apply from the US for visitor visa, if that’d help

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
hello,

Thank you. So it seems like a tough road ahead. We will try figuring out.

would you happen to know if she were present in thr US and we apply from the US for visitor visa, if that’d help
I'm not sure that will help. She wants to be able to show strong ties. I think it may be more difficult to do that if she is already in the US. Will sort of seem obvious that she plans to use the TRV to move to Canada with you. But having said that, try applying somewhere - either from her home country or from the US. She may absolutely get lucky and be approved. Definitely try.