+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canada-U.S. commute amid COVID-19

ashwin1400

Sep 25, 2018
Hey guys.. Has anyone travelled to the US for work on H1B since the rule took effect? What did they say at the border on both sides?

suemon

Apr 5, 2017
Hey guys.. Has anyone travelled to the US for work on H1B since the rule took effect? What did they say at the border on both sides?
I did today and was able to come to the US because there is something I have to do in person related to work [I've been working remotely for the last couple of weeks]. But I was asked a lot of questions. Expect scrutiny in the current time, and don't go unless you have to. I think you can go back to Canada if you are already a P.R. Best of luck!

Reactions: ryeCatcher

prusa

Star Member
Jul 22, 2019
I did today and was able to come to the US because there is something I have to do in person related to work [I've been working remotely for the last couple of weeks]. But I was asked a lot of questions. Expect scrutiny in the current time, and don't go unless you have to. I think you can go back to Canada if you are already a P.R. Best of luck!
Are you an essential worker? Would you be able to give some sort of idea on what kind of questions were asked.

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016

ashwin1400

Sep 25, 2018
Are you an essential worker? That makes a big difference in what kind of reception you will get at the border.
I work as an automotive engineer near Detroit and live in Windsor. I'm doubt if that is considered 'essential' per se, but most of the information I've read up talks about shopping/tourism/visiting family and friends as non-essential. A few news articles speculated that work visa holders will be allowed into the US, but I haven't found anything official which is what leaves me a little in the dark..

Reactions: ryeCatcher

ashwin1400

Sep 25, 2018
Thanks a lot for sharing your experience.. If you don't mind me asking, what is your line of work and in which city? Also, did you have to mandatorily quarantine yourself after entering the US and/or when you returned to Canada?

Thanks again!

suemon

Apr 5, 2017
Thanks a lot for sharing your experience.. If you don't mind me asking, what is your line of work and in which city? Also, did you have to mandatorily quarantine yourself after entering the US and/or when you returned to Canada?

Thanks again!
I work in school, so they asked in detail why I need to go. I work and live in NY state during the school year. My location is quite far from NYC and the local outbreak is pretty mild. There is no required quarantine after entering the US, but there is a 2-week quarantine when you return to Canada. The Canadian border control will record your contact info when you return. The agent said that they could be checking on you. Do follow the quarantine strictly if you decide to go. Hope this helps.

prusa

Star Member
Jul 22, 2019
I work in school, so they asked in detail why I need to go. I work and live in NY state during the school year. My location is quite far from NYC and the local outbreak is pretty mild. There is no required quarantine after entering the US, but there is a 2-week quarantine when you return to Canada. The Canadian border control will record your contact info when you return. The agent said that they could be checking on you. Do follow the quarantine strictly if you decide to go. Hope this helps.
Is a valid work visa enough to get through cbp or do you have to be an essential worker also ?

I am assuming most of the h1b are working remotely anyways

nvap23

Star Member
Apr 19, 2020
I was told by another friend of mine that his recent COPR issue had a date of Nov 2020 expiry because of this pandemic. If you cannot make it to Canada before COPR expires and have reached out to IRCC usign their Webform, I am confident that they will reach out to you as soon as things started improving