Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
CRA customer service is often wrong unfortunately. It seems highly likely that he has been a tax resident since moving abroad and leaving his family in Canada. If your family is in Canada benefitting from things like education and healthcare parents are expected to contribute into the tax base if they are PRs or citizens. Seems logical. I would call CRA a couple of times to see if you Geta consistent answer or just ask an accountant,
This is my concern. CRA always has the ability to review a tax situation for a number of years (7?). If an assessment error was made, there could be a significant tax liability, especially if CRA were not provided with accurate information.

Live life

May 6, 2017
Having tax treat gives u special benefit of getting foreign tax credit (reduce taxes u have to pay by deducting what taxes u paid in country u r working in).

And i agree with keesio being working in country u have tax tr3aty with doesnt make u non resident unless there is something we r missing here.

Did the person informed CRA of his family and spouse being in canada? Or that he owns or rent a house? Or he has a bank account?
CRA has sent this person a written response on his tax residency. He had filed NR 74 (entering Canada) form in which he stated that his family will be staying in Canada while he will continue to work overseas. I believe it should be fairly reasonable to take the opinion for good. While the person has his family here there is no other tie that he maintains eg : rented house, bank account, driving license, credit cards etc

Live life

May 6, 2017
This is my concern. CRA always has the ability to review a tax situation for a number of years (7?). If an assessment error was made, there could be a significant tax liability, especially if CRA were not provided with accurate information.
Perhaps the person can file his taxes for 2018 based on the opinion provided by CRA and see if it is well accepted

Zmaqsood

Champion Member
Sep 10, 2014
Milton. ON
CRA has sent this person a written response on his tax residency. He had filed NR 74 (entering Canada) form in which he stated that his family will be staying in Canada while he will continue to work overseas. I believe it should be fairly reasonable to take the opinion for good. While the person has his family here there is no other tie that he maintains eg : rented house, bank account, driving license, credit cards etc
Well than there is no point asking on forum if u have an official response from CRA.

Reactions: canuck78

Live life

May 6, 2017
Well than there is no point asking on forum if u have an official response from CRA.

The original question was for working in Dubai instead of Singapore. The person has an offer to move to Dubai and hence checking if the same opinion will hold good irrespective of the location of working or there is something different that people have experienced for UAE. Thanks

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Seems like they only moved to Canada last year and not have spent 6 months in Canada. The case may need to be reassessed based on when the family arrived in Canada. Would be helpful to know when the family moved to Canada and when the father moved to Dubai and then Singapore.

Sep 5, 2017
Hi, I got my PR in 2019 feb. I am working in UAE and will not move for another year for Canda. do I need to pay ta in Canda.

I went to Canada only for landing Stayed there only for 10 days