+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canada Sim Card Issue

sreelekshmi24

Jul 15, 2023
Guys, I'm moving to Canada on 21st August 2023. My agency has provided assistance with the issuance of a sim card. But it was only later I realised that it's a postpaid sim card. The sim card has been already dispatched. So I cannot even withdraw my application. Is it okay if I prefer to not use the provided sim card and apply for another one after reaching Canada? Please reply asap.

rcincanada2019

Jan 14, 2023
Ontario
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
App. Filed.......
03-07-2022
Nomination.....
30-03-2022
AOR Received.
03-11-2022
Guys, I'm moving to Canada on 21st August 2023. My agency has provided assistance with the issuance of a sim card. But it was only later I realised that it's a postpaid sim card. The sim card has been already dispatched. So I cannot even withdraw my application. Is it okay if I prefer to not use the provided sim card and apply for another one after reaching Canada? Please reply asap.
Is the SIM card under your name? You can contact the telco when you arrive in Canada and tell them you wish to discontinue. Depending on what type of plan applied (i.e. if the plan includes a mobile phone device), you may need to pay a certain balance. Check with your agency as well.

I doubt, however, that it is under your name because the telco would have made a hard credit check on your name before approving the postpaid plan.

rcincanada2019

Jan 14, 2023
Ontario
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
App. Filed.......
03-07-2022
Nomination.....
30-03-2022
AOR Received.
03-11-2022
Can I simply prefer to not use the sim card anymore and take another one instead? Will there be any issue?
You totally have the right to choose, no issue at all. A postpaid service means you have to pay a fee every month until the contract expires. What is your arrangement with your agency about this postpaid plan?

sreelekshmi24

Jul 15, 2023
Actually they haven't given me any details. They simply told that they will send me the details via email but what I got was an email informing that my application for sim card has been recieved. I've asked them and they said that they thought that it was okay to just apply and I was livid. Then anything thing could be done by that time also. The email I got suggest a few conditions regarding bill payments and that if I failed to pay the bill on time, it will affect my credit score also.

rcincanada2019

Jan 14, 2023
Ontario
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
App. Filed.......
03-07-2022
Nomination.....
30-03-2022
AOR Received.
03-11-2022
Actually they haven't given me any details. They simply told that they will send me the details via email but what I got was an email informing that my application for sim card has been recieved. I've asked them and they said that they thought that it was okay to just apply and I was livid. Then anything thing could be done by that time also. The email I got suggest a few conditions regarding bill payments and that if I failed to pay the bill on time, it will affect my credit score also.
Yes, missing payments on a monthly bill will highly affect your credit score. But I am still surprised that the telco approved your postpaid plan without you presenting a valid ID as well as doing a credit check.

Suggest to contact the telco once you arrive in Canada to sort things out. Does it include a mobile phone device?

sreelekshmi24

Jul 15, 2023
Actually my agency has my passport id that I have given for the visa submission. I think that's how they could apply directly. And no it does not include a mobile phone device.

sreelekshmi24

Jul 15, 2023
We have received your SIM card application and the SIM card will be activated 24-48 hours prior to your arrival which you indicated as Aug 21, 2023. To reconfirm, your date of birth is Nov 24, 2000 and your SIM card number is .

Important information:

1. This is a POSTPAID plan NOT a prepaid plan.

2. This monthly postpaid plan you applied for costs Fido - $40 + Tax - 25GB Data + Unlimited Canada-wide Calling & Unlimited International Texts + 1,000 International Long Distance minutes from Canada to INDIA, Bangladesh, China (including Hong Kong), Mexico and UK..

3. You will receive an email from Fido, after your SIM is activated, to set up your online account. Instructions on how to set up your online account can be found here.

4. You will receive your first bill, from Fido, within 5 days of activating your service. On average, your payment will be due in 21 days after you receive the bill.

5. Instructions on how to make your bill payment can be found here.

6. Your monthly bills must be paid on time, before the due date. Failure to pay on time will result in a negative impact on your Canadian credit score.

7. All communication from Fido is done via email. It is your responsibility to ensure you check your email for communicated messages.

8. You may need to adjust your device APN settings - instructions can be found here.

You have also acknowledged and confirmed the following:

I acknowledge and understand that this is a postpaid plan.

I acknowledge and understand that I will receive monthly bills from Fido.

I acknowledge and understand that it is my responsibility to make the monthly bill payments on time.

I acknowledge and understand that I am solely responsible for the financial obligations of paying my Fido bill in Canada.
This is what I got in my email from the telecom sevice. I will still be able to not use the sim card right? Do I have to pay and bill if I didn't use the sim on my mobile?

rcincanada2019

Jan 14, 2023
Ontario
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
App. Filed.......
03-07-2022
Nomination.....
30-03-2022
AOR Received.
03-11-2022
Well, aside from your passport, the telco would also ask for an ID with valid address (such as DL). They need to put that address in the contract, as well as to send your monthly bill statement (not that you cannot opt for paperless bills).

Canada2020eh

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2019
We have received your SIM card application and the SIM card will be activated 24-48 hours prior to your arrival which you indicated as Aug 21, 2023. To reconfirm, your date of birth is Nov 24, 2000 and your SIM card number is .

Important information:

1. This is a POSTPAID plan NOT a prepaid plan.

2. This monthly postpaid plan you applied for costs Fido - $40 + Tax - 25GB Data + Unlimited Canada-wide Calling & Unlimited International Texts + 1,000 International Long Distance minutes from Canada to INDIA, Bangladesh, China (including Hong Kong), Mexico and UK..

3. You will receive an email from Fido, after your SIM is activated, to set up your online account. Instructions on how to set up your online account can be found here.

4. You will receive your first bill, from Fido, within 5 days of activating your service. On average, your payment will be due in 21 days after you receive the bill.

5. Instructions on how to make your bill payment can be found here.

6. Your monthly bills must be paid on time, before the due date. Failure to pay on time will result in a negative impact on your Canadian credit score.

7. All communication from Fido is done via email. It is your responsibility to ensure you check your email for communicated messages.

8. You may need to adjust your device APN settings - instructions can be found here.

You have also acknowledged and confirmed the following:

I acknowledge and understand that this is a postpaid plan.

I acknowledge and understand that I will receive monthly bills from Fido.

I acknowledge and understand that it is my responsibility to make the monthly bill payments on time.

I acknowledge and understand that I am solely responsible for the financial obligations of paying my Fido bill in Canada.
This is what I got in my email from the telecom sevice. I will still be able to not use the sim card right? Do I have to pay and bill if I didn't use the sim on my mobile?
The way that information is worded seems a bit strange to me. Is this supposed to be a special thing for people coming to Canada? I would suggest you tell your agency to cancel it and get one when you get here. I looked at their site and I don't see a plan like that, that would be very cheap and what you posted, it specifically mentions about paying your "Fido bill in Canada", I've never seen a condition like that and don't see it in their their terms of service.

It might be a scam.

https://www.fido.ca/phones/bring-your-own-device?ecid=PS_F0246_F_WIR_Jan_23_3SE_FRLYO0&ecid=PS_F0030_F_WIR_Mar_19_ALW_FVV54F&s_kwcid=AL!5244!3!664611164068!e!!g!!fido phone plans canada&gclid=Cj0KCQjw_O2lBhCFARIsAB0E8B-yCQ93T0ppoDskimuC9fn0kTjtW7gHptDJUksvk9s0tm8GllyIfhMaAlO6EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds&step=2&flowType=byod

A good, cheap phone plan, the one I use is through Public Mobile but there are many to choose from out there. Do a bit of searching.

Reactions: rcincanada2019