+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canada safe third country agreement

torontob

Aug 10, 2009
My wife and my son entered Canada through irregular border and they have submitted their Asylum Claim.

I am currently in US and I want to join my wife and husband and wish to enter through regular border.

My understanding is that I am eligible but I am slightly confused by this, "has a claim for refugee protection that has been referred to the IRB for determination". Logic tells me that once you submit a claim, its automatically referred to IRB, I am bit confused if refugee claim submission is a separate process to claim referral to IRB.

To me, its one single process. Just wanted to double check to avoid troubles.
If you have any other immediate family (PR or citizen) in Canada use them at border along with your wife and children. If not, read this properly and find out if you qualify. Most likely you do based on what you wrote but maybe you overlooked something...

mafghan

Oct 24, 2022
If you have any other immediate family (PR or citizen) in Canada use them at border along with your wife and children. If not, read this properly and find out if you qualify. Most likely you do based on what you wrote but maybe you overlooked something...
Thank you.

I did my homework and realized that Claim submission is a separate process to claim referral to IRB. I was not eligible

torontob

Aug 10, 2009
Thank you.

I did my homework and realized that Claim submission is a separate process to claim referral to IRB. I was not eligible
It will take about 4-6 months for them to get the referral to IRB. And IRB will decide within couple weeks if it goes to simple application process and will inform your family they can apply for PR. This is if they follow the process in time. I have seen someone else apply this through legal aid lawyer and online and this was the timeline.

If you have any other close relative (check the rules who is close relative) you can still come through official border. If not, you still have Roxham road option.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
It will take about 4-6 months for them to get the referral to IRB. And IRB will decide within couple weeks if it goes to simple application process and will inform your family they can apply for PR. This is if they follow the process in time. I have seen someone else apply this through legal aid lawyer and online and this was the timeline.

If you have any other close relative (check the rules who is close relative) you can still come through official border. If not, you still have Roxham road option.
They haven’t received protected person status so can’t apply for PR.