+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canada Permanent Resident Living in US - cross border daily to work in Canada?

mauibrew

Nov 28, 2012
Hello Everyone,

Before I ask the question, here are some details -

# 1 - I'm a US Citizen
# 2 - I am married to a Canadian Citizen
# 3 - I have PR status and a valid PR card

We currently live in the US 5 mins from the Canadian border and I interviewed with a Canadian company today. I'm considering working in Canada and crossing the border every day to go to work and come home to the US. I have nexus and a valid PR card.

The HR person though said that it would be very difficult to hire me because of my U.S. address. They said with the EI taxes and such that have to come out of my paycheck this would be a difficult situation and didn't know how it could be resolved.

I was a bit surprised because I didn't think it would be an issue. I do have a Canadian address (we have a house in Canada) and I just assumed they could use that address on all of my documents, paychecks, etc. (I also have a social insurance number), and I would pay my Canadian paycheck taxes. At the end of the year I would file my Canadian tax return and also a US tax return (which I had to do when I used to live and work in Canada).

Is anyone familiar with why it would be an issue for a Canadian company that I lived in the U.S. if all of my other requirements are correct? It seems like it wouldn't be any different than a Canadian citizen (my wife for example) working in Canada and crossing the border everyday from the U.S.

I'm wondering if there are any answers I can give this HR person to help my employment chances.

Can they just enter my Canada address and pay me just like any other employee? Would anyone know or care as long as I'm paying my taxes and going to work? There a plenty of people who live in the U.S. and work for canadian companies on work permits so I thought my case would be 100 times more simple from a HR perspective.

QUESTION - Is there any reason from HR perspective why it would be an issue to employ me and what kind of HR problems would need to be overcome?

Thank you so much, I've talked to my immigration attorney and a US/CAN tax accountant but the question regarding the employment issues for the HR department seem to be outside anyones area of expertise.

aries9811

Jun 6, 2009
New York
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo-NY
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jan 27, 2010
Doc's Request.
March 17,2010 --> Documents Recieved @VO April 2,2010
Nomination.....
Not Applicable
AOR Received.
Second AOR 1st May 2010
IELTS Request
March 17,2010
File Transfer...
Nov 2, 2011
Med's Request
Jan 26,2012
Med's Done....
Received @Ottawa Feb 17,2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
May 10, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
June 2012
LANDED..........
August 2012
I am looking to apply for a NEXUS CARD, how it is advantageous to a person who is PR in Canada and H1B in USA ? Stayed in US for 6 YRS ?

Rank2010

Star Member
Nov 26, 2012
If my understanding is correct, NEXUS card is only available to "citizens" of Canada / US. Please see the following links

http://gocanada.about.com/od/canadatravelplanner/qt/nexus_card.htm

If you not a citizen of US/Canada, which it appears from your posting, then you may not be eligible. May be someone else can confirm my views

mikenz

Sep 5, 2010
Vancouver, BC
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hmmm..here it says differently..PR is enough

http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/goc/nexus_highway.shtml

springtulip

Jan 27, 2018
Hello Everyone,

Before I ask the question, here are some details -

# 1 - I'm a US Citizen
# 2 - I am married to a Canadian Citizen
# 3 - I have PR status and a valid PR card

We currently live in the US 5 mins from the Canadian border and I interviewed with a Canadian company today. I'm considering working in Canada and crossing the border every day to go to work and come home to the US. I have nexus and a valid PR card.

The HR person though said that it would be very difficult to hire me because of my U.S. address. They said with the EI taxes and such that have to come out of my paycheck this would be a difficult situation and didn't know how it could be resolved.

I was a bit surprised because I didn't think it would be an issue. I do have a Canadian address (we have a house in Canada) and I just assumed they could use that address on all of my documents, paychecks, etc. (I also have a social insurance number), and I would pay my Canadian paycheck taxes. At the end of the year I would file my Canadian tax return and also a US tax return (which I had to do when I used to live and work in Canada).

Is anyone familiar with why it would be an issue for a Canadian company that I lived in the U.S. if all of my other requirements are correct? It seems like it wouldn't be any different than a Canadian citizen (my wife for example) working in Canada and crossing the border everyday from the U.S.

I'm wondering if there are any answers I can give this HR person to help my employment chances.

Can they just enter my Canada address and pay me just like any other employee? Would anyone know or care as long as I'm paying my taxes and going to work? There a plenty of people who live in the U.S. and work for canadian companies on work permits so I thought my case would be 100 times more simple from a HR perspective.

QUESTION - Is there any reason from HR perspective why it would be an issue to employ me and what kind of HR problems would need to be overcome?

Thank you so much, I've talked to my immigration attorney and a US/CAN tax accountant but the question regarding the employment issues for the HR department seem to be outside anyones area of expertise.
how did you work out the situation? I am in a similar situation.